Knocking down piggies & rams...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Knocking down piggies & rams...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ahhh... tis much better to shoot offhand at 200yds with a tang than the buckhorns. Only the third time out with the 1886, 1st time with new guts & sight, and shot passibly well with it - especially at 100 to 200yds. Not spectacular, only rang up 50% total... but Note to Self: Tang sights at 50yds are not helpful and the aperature should be removed before shooting it in the folded position... (ouch)...

For a lark, I also tried the .357 (180 @ 1800) on the "big bore" (IMHSA) sillhouettes... THAT is somthing I'm going to have to do more often.

9 for 10 at 100 (expected) and 5 for 10 at 200 (not expected)... got half of the 150 turkeys too.

Now I've just got to practice that 18" drop at 200 some more... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Knocking down piggies & rams...

Post by Andrew »

Nice. I am going to have to try that steel shooting some time.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I recently read an interesting post on using the .22 LR standard velocity rounds to replicate some of the same issues of range and holdover and so on, using ranges from 25 to 150 yards, and I think that would be a nice (and less expensive) way to practice at home for the 'real' silhouette ranges with the big guns.

The only silhouette shooting I ever did was with a Super Blackhawk, and it really WAS fun. Something nice about hitting your target and seeing it fall down, vs. retrieving a paper target and going over it with a ruler.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:I recently read an interesting post on using the .22 LR standard velocity rounds to replicate some of the same issues of range and holdover and so on, using ranges from 25 to 150 yards, and I think that would be a nice (and less expensive) way to practice at home for the 'real' silhouette ranges with the big guns. ...
Well... I WAS able to hit 2 of the 1/4 scale Rams at 100yds with my High Standard Sentinal and .22 RNL... :o dang things were smaller than the front ramp though...
:?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a bunch of fun OI! What was your load in the 1886?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Sounds like a bunch of fun OI! What was your load in the 1886?
A mistake that I will not repeat... :roll:

I had 50 405gr Rainer Jacketed TC bullets that I loaded up over 30-somthing grains of H4198

Problem was there was no cannelure and I had to deep-seat them back almost to the beginning of the TC to get them to feed without pushing-back from the 86's non-throat.

Even then, I couldn't get the fool things crimped tight enough to keep a few of them from recoil-setback ("fixed" with the kenetic hammer & hand chamered...)

But now that I'm out of them I'm goig back to the 330gr Gould - which crimps & chambers fine (go figure... not like it was designed for the 1886 or anything...).

Next batch will be with 1.6cc 2400.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote: Next batch will be with 1.6cc 2400.
Looking forward to hearing how that load does! :D
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Sounds like fun. I tried my hand at LG silhouette at our SoCal Reunion in March. I can see how it could be very addicting. I wish I had the time to participate regularly.

And....I hate those darn turkeys :x 5 for 10 isn't too shabby at all. Good luck!
Chad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

sounds like some good lessons were imprinted and the next time will bring even more enjoyable results. Well done and keep us posted on the progress. its been almost 30 years since I shot in such a shoot. I remember it to be great fun
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Okay, now pick a windy day and shoot at big bore distances: 200, 300, 400 & 500 METERS! The chickens are still offhand, but everything else is freestyle (meaning X-sticks). :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:Okay, now pick a windy day and shoot at big bore distances: 200, 300, 400 & 500 METERS! The chickens are still offhand, but everything else is freestyle (meaning X-sticks). :P
Why would I want to shoot all the way into Ft Wayne? I might hit JReed...

I doubt you could find anywhere in Indiana to set up a (safe) 500M range...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Griff wrote:Okay, now pick a windy day and shoot at big bore distances: 200, 300, 400 & 500 METERS! The chickens are still offhand, but everything else is freestyle (meaning X-sticks). :P
I know that is the course of fire for BPCR. Is there a Levergun shoot like that as well?
The Lord Bless You

Terry
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

41 Redhawk,

Yes, we have been holding an annual Lever Action Jubilee in Ridgway, PA for the past several years. This year the dates are Oct 4 & 5. We shoot the NRA High Power Silhouette course of fire..steel chickens @ 200M, pigs @ 300 M, Turkeys @ 385 M and Rams @ 500 M. 40 shot match each day.

Shooting is from freestyle...prone, sitting, etc. No artificial supports (cross sticks, etc.) are permitted. Two classes: iron sights and scope.

Competitors can shoot a different rifle at each distance if they want to. It is a fun match. Lots of leverguns and the fellowship is great! :mrgreen:
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Hi John,

Do you ever get down my way for silhouette? We have two clubs that shoots hunter pistol and levergun stuff out to 100 yards plus one club that has the 200 meter matches too.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

OI,

They shoot BPCR silhouettes out to 500 meters at Friendship, Indiana.

http://www.nmlra.org/shoots.asp?cat=Alt ... e%20Shoots

41Redhawk,

The McDonald Sportsmen's Association located not far from the Greater Pittsburgh airport shoots high power and BPCR silhouettes out to 500 meters; they also shoot cowboy lever action silhouettes to 200 meters. http://www.mcdonaldsportsmen.com/
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

I've been to McDonald several times. Once to shoot BPCR with a friend's rifle. They do not shoot Levergun silhouette there however. They used to shoot hunter pistol, small bore cowboy and pistol cartridge silhouette but haven't done so for at least three years now. They do shoot SASS.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, Redhawk,

I've only shot BPCR silhouettes at McDonald. Pittsburgh is my home area, but I recently moved to Colorado. I thought they were shooting CLA there. Sorry for the misinfo.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Now I've just got to practice that 18" drop at 200 some more...
in the long run you'll do better if you adjust your sights for the drop and maintain a consistent hold on the animal. I use the belly, some people use the feet (but it's possible to cut off some of the feet and not know it, plus, the feet can vary slightly on individual targets).

A wide, flat blade lining up with the belly of the animal is the most consistent hold. If you use a narrow blade, you might push it up into the interior of the black shape and be way high when you shoot.

This is why a tang sight is ideal for this type of shooting. It's easy to count clicks and the close eye relief sharpens things up.

I always wanted to try the front sight inserts that have the animal shapes cut out of them. Although, what would happen if the target-setter sets them backwards?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."