What is the proper method of managing heavy recoil?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

What is the proper method of managing heavy recoil?

Post by FWiedner »

I've never fired a truly heavy recoiling rifle like something that might be taken on a hunt in Africa or for dangerous game.

What is the proper technique to learning how to manage heavy recoil so that such a firearm might be used effectively?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: What is the proper method of managing heavy recoil?

Post by Malamute »

One of the first things to reduce perceived recoil, and where nearly everyone Ive seen goes wrong, is DONT shoot it off a benchrest if possible, and if sighting in from a bench, get enough support under the forend so you can sit straight up and let your body move with the recoil. The common hunched over leaned into the stock is the worst possible way to shoot a heavy recoiling gun, and I think one of the main reasons people say particular guns kick too much.

The Brits reportedly used a standing rest for sighting in the large African calibers. It allows your body to move with the recoil, not brace into it and take the punishment. Ive found that sitting was fine for sighting in my 338, but it never felt like it kicked that much anyways. I assume the stock just fit me well. I shot a 300 mag Winchester that had worse perceived recoil. I enjoyed shooting the 338, I didn't enjoy shooting the 300 mag. Partly stock fit and partly shooting it from a bench.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

What I do is start with highly reduced loads. Then shoot them for practice often. Somewhere along the line sight in with the 'heavy' ammo, then revert to the light load. Keep shooting, then check the 'heavy' to make positive it is still ok. Then go hunting. I never feel the recoil in a hunting situation.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Stand straight, feet slightly apart. Mount the gun firmly against your shoulder, right elbow high to hold it there. Don't force it against your shoulder but do not allow any slack or hold it limply. Those things will allow the gun to accelerate and pound you harder. The idea is to transfer the recoil directly to your body without shock and allow your body to roll with it. Get a good spot weld without the comb up under your cheek bone and stay clear of your thumb, the bolt and the scope and specially a tang sight if you use one. Concentrate on sight alignment, shot placement, trigger and breath control. Don't anticipate the recoil, let it happen naturally.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This on your shoulder http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699899 ... bidextrous

and this to support your rifle while shooting from a kneeling or standing position. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/958103 ... ting-stick

or you can read this article for other suggestions. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... -big-guns/
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Get somebody RKrodle's size to shoot it for ya! :P :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

+1 on the PAST shoulder pad, I have a lead sled and it works alright but if you have a light weight gun with a thin wrist be aware that you may crack the stock with a lead sled if you use to much weight. As others have said keep your back straight at the bench or stand up and use sticks.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well I could fill the page.....but if any human thinks that recoil will never bother Him he better Pray often. After several eye surgery's I will shoot only off sticks or a lead sled. I'm 62 and thanks to modern technology I can still see . Heavy Recoil Will take a toll on most of us. Good Luck...........
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I would do all bench-shooting off a 'Lead-Sled' or spend $50 or so and build the home-made version I made. It virtually eliminates recoil. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47960

In addition, the STOCK makes a huge difference; my Ruger 'Alaskan' 375 isn't all that horrific a cartridge, but certainly is in the 'potent recoil' category - but the Hogue rubber 'overmoulded' stock makes shooting it about like a 20 gauge shotgun.

Finally, much of recoil is 'attitude' - if you love shooting, and get in the mindset of enjoying the feel of a 'real gun', rather than enduring the recoil of a 'painful shooter', it really does make a difference. Think of getting knocked down during a game of basketball/volleyball/football, versus if the same impact happened when just standing at the bus stop.

However, there is a fundamental situation of 'physics' that happens during recoil, and does affect post-op shoulders, or post-op eye surgery, so you do have to be realistic.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Fred,
Wise council from Griff - "Get somebody RKrodle's size to shoot it for ya!"

Seriously, if you want to experience some DG type shooting, we can go out to Ricky's range and you can shoot two of my lever guns with the ammo used in Africa to take DG.
These include my 1895 .405 Winchester with 400 grain bullets at 2076 fps MV(cape buff) and my 1886 .45-90 with 450 grain Kodiak bullets at 2150 fps (ele, cape buff, and leopard in Africa plus bison and such in USA.). We would only shoot these off hand. I use lead sled only for load development.

We could also plink a bit with my .405 double with 300 and 400 grain(still experimental) loads. The 10 pound weight makes the 300 grain at 2250 fps a very low recoiling experience.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
siberian505
Levergunner

Post by siberian505 »

My experience with lead sleds is they make the rifle shoot a foot or more high at a hundred when it's in the field. Very frustrating to get someone on an animal and all their shoots go over its back. Maybe I'm rather prejudiced because the person I was dealing with......
I just shoot mostly with a military sling on bolt actions. My levers have carrying straps and aren't used as shooting aids.
Come on over and let's play with the 505Gibbs, 600 grain slugs at 2200 are not the place to start. Half a car of 5744 is a nice mild load and will teach you to roll with the rifle.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

From the bench, a folded section of newspaper where it can help spread out the recoil is pretty useful. It is sort of the poor man's version of the PAST shoulder pad. I used the newspaper for years before I heard of the PAST product. When hunting, I have never noticed the recoil, either.

Using reduced power loads, alternating with a full power load here and there, is a technique which has been used for a long time with a great deal of success.

Finally, there are people who are more sensitive to recoil than others. As to why, I really cannot tell you. It has a lot to do with the individual's personal reaction to the speed and force of the blow to the shoulder. Some people do not really care, and some people cannot stand it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've been thinking on an (as yet unplanned and unscheduled) elk hunt in Colorado.

Right now I am weighing the pros, cons, and differences between .300 WinMag, .338 WinMag, and .375 H&HMag.

I realize that I don't need a rifle in this category to kill an elk, but I'm thinking about versatility extended toward tougher game. I mean... What if I do go to Africa someday? A .375 H&H might come in handy... And a .338 WinMag would certainly serve well to take any large or dangerous game in North America.

The bottom line is that I'm thinking about buying 'more gun' and I'm trying to think through what I've got to teach myself in order to be able to use it.

Thanks for your input, guys.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In amongst your many friends, there may be these rifles you that you might "...try on for recoil..." My son thinks the recoil from my Rem700 in 7mmRemMag is horrendous, (and those were little 140 grain loads, wait'll he tries out my 175gr elk loads!! Which I find funny, as he doesn't the full-house loads in the .375Win outta the Marlin, and I'd rather shoot the 7mmRM!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Check out this "heavy recoil" Video of a 577 T-Rex Rifle being fired (click here for link)...

Actually that compilation of videos from the Accurate Reloading website shows you how NOT to do it!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

FW, my remarks as noted. The 300 WSM has a rep for startling recoil. It just does. Fast burn, fast recoil, light rifle. OUCH!!!

I've also shot the 338 in a friend's rifle, not so bad, but not so timid either I would say!!!

Best experiences I have had have been with the 375 H&H or 375 H&H AI. I passed my rifle with the latter cartridge with a 350 bullet doing about 2500 fpd, and shot off-hand, this young man got it, shot it well, and hit a home run!!!!

The recoil of the 375 H&H is less than other calibers. Even in 375 H&H AI. The recoil is a "slow push", not an abrupt shove. It works that much better here!!!!!!!

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I'm not sure about the recoil factor but Magna Port of Michigan cuts little slots near the muzzle that eliminate muzzle jump. This is how I tamed my .308 rifle.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!