What More Do You Really Need...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Classic 8)

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: What More Do You Really Need...

Post by Lastmohecken »

No much, I guess. if you can hunt, and you have time and patience and good luck and maybe a little experience. But some of us might want more. I haven't needed anything for many years. But I seem to want things anyway.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

A bigger bore maybe.... :D

A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have used it since I was a 12 year old kid, and never found it to fail. :D Still using it, though the eyes are getting old.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Carlsen Highway wrote:A bigger bore maybe.... :D
Got it covered :wink: 8)

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have a bunch of rifles, more modern bolts etc, but truth is I shot more with my old 94 that I bought new in 1956 when I was 15.

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Need?: Nothing, of course; the .30 WCF can do anything I want to do with a rifle. On the other hand, so would a .357 Mag, say an 1894 Marlin. The lines of that rifle aren't so nice as Winchester's development of the same year, but I need nothing more, all the same.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've not been without a 30-30 in neigh on 10 lustrums. I have others, but the most used rifle cartridge I have is the 30-30. I could part with all by my .45 Colts and not get my feelings hurt.

cshold,
Love that Micro-Grove rifling on the the bullet. Looks cool.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

170 gr .30-30 ammo test. (A post from the Marlin forum)

Standard for decades, 170 grain soft point .30-30 ammo is a mainstay of the ammunition industry, and a reliable partner of countless hunters. There has been a long time now for this .30-30 ammo to be perfected. The modest muzzle velocity of the .30-30, coupled with the large exposed lead tips of most factory ammunition typically results in excellent bullet performance on game. To explore that a little further, I selected three common types of 170 grain .30-30 ammunition for testing.
The test platform was my trusty 336 Marlin with iron sights. Conditions were 40 degrees, overcast, with a slight wind blowing from the north. The chronograph was about 12' from the muzzle, and the one-gallon plastic jugs of water were at 25 yards.

Remington 170 gr Core Lokt: Recovered from the 6th jug. Retained weight is 132.5 gr. Expanded diameter is .552" and the muzzle velocity was 2118 fps.

Winchester 170 gr Silvertip: Recovered from the 6th jug. Retained weight is 125.6 gr. Expanded diameter is .584" and the muzzle velocity was 2167 fps.

Winchester 170 gr Power Point: Recovered from the 6th jug. Retained weight is 138.5 gr. Expanded diameter is .606" and the muzzle velocity was 2141 fps.

The three different types of ammunition were very similar in performance, which didn't surprise me. All were between 2118 fps - 2167 fps, retained weight varied from 125 - 138 grains, all expanded between about .55" and .60" and all penetrated into the 6th one-gallon water-filled jug.

That last part about penetration is noteworthy - recovering bullets from the 6th water jug is impressive stuff. All three types of .30-30 ammo tested produced that amount of penetration, which is greater than I've seen with some .45/70 and .375 H&H hunting ammo!

At this point all I can advise it to use the one that shoots best from your rifle - and that may be hard to determine too, there was no real accuracy difference between them from my rifle... Maybe I'll use Silvertips because they look cool, but I like that green box the Remington ammo comes in... Decisions, decisions... It's obvious that the ammo makers long ago figured out how to make really good 170 grain .30-30 hunting ammo.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You need nothing else. That's why there are so many 30-30's out there.

The 30-30 in a 20" carbine can be described in one word. Balanced. Few firearms before or since have achieved the level of balance in power, accuracy, portability, and utility.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

I have shot several deer and hog with the old lever gun's in 30-30 to say its the ideal for my hunting area isn't so we have many many gas lines that run 1000's of yards so we hunt from box stands you may get one at 50 yards or one from 350 yards so I use many flat shooting rounds from 25-06 to 7mm Rem mag and have scored out to 400 yards its just the way we have to hunt we have a few places were the max shot would be about 75 to 100 I believe in the right tool for the job
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

For hunting, I doubt I'd "need" anything more. But need has never dictated my wants, so I always want more! Sadly, I look in my safes and realize I don't even own a .30-30 anymore. Still have all the ammo, dies, brass, bullets, etc., but not a single gun in such a classic caliber.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Carlsen Highway wrote:A bigger bore maybe.... :D

Just how much bigger? :)
Merle from PA
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cshold wrote:170 gr .30-30 ammo test. (A post from the Marlin forum)

Standard for decades, 170 grain soft point .30-30 ammo is a mainstay of the ammunition industry, and a reliable partner of countless hunters. There has been a long time now for this .30-30 ammo to be perfected. The modest muzzle velocity of the .30-30, coupled with the large exposed lead tips of most factory ammunition typically results in excellent bullet performance on game. To explore that a little further, I selected three common types of 170 grain .30-30 ammunition for testing.
The test platform was my trusty 336 Marlin with iron sights. Conditions were 40 degrees, overcast, with a slight wind blowing from the north. The chronograph was about 12' from the muzzle, and the one-gallon plastic jugs of water were at 25 yards.

Remington 170 gr Core Lokt: Recovered from the 6th jug. Retained weight is 132.5 gr. Expanded diameter is .552" and the muzzle velocity was 2118 fps.

<snip>

Winchester 170 gr Silvertip: Recovered from the 6th jug. Retained weight is 125.6 gr. Expanded diameter is .584" and the muzzle velocity was 2167 fps.

<snip>

Winchester 170 gr Power Point: Recovered from the 6th jug. Retained weight is 138.5 gr. Expanded diameter is .606" and the muzzle velocity was 2141 fps.

<snip>

The three different types of ammunition were very similar in performance, which didn't surprise me. All were between 2118 fps - 2167 fps, retained weight varied from 125 - 138 grains, all expanded between about .55" and .60" and all penetrated into the 6th one-gallon water-filled jug.

That last part about penetration is noteworthy - recovering bullets from the 6th water jug is impressive stuff. All three types of .30-30 ammo tested produced that amount of penetration, which is greater than I've seen with some .45/70 and .375 H&H hunting ammo!

At this point all I can advise it to use the one that shoots best from your rifle - and that may be hard to determine too, there was no real accuracy difference between them from my rifle... Maybe I'll use Silvertips because they look cool, but I like that green box the Remington ammo comes in... Decisions, decisions... It's obvious that the ammo makers long ago figured out how to make really good 170 grain .30-30 hunting ammo.
I do not disagree with anything you've said about the 170gr load, but from my experiences with a bunch of different 30-30s the same can be said for the 150gr loads as well.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Choices, choices, choices ............. Although the 150gr & the 170gr loads shoot about the same (accuracy-wise) in my .30-30 Trapper, and since I like "heavy-for-bore" boolits, I feed it 170gr loads.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

150 vs 170 is a thread topic unto itself :)

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27481
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I guess it sort of depends on where you come from, and from whom. I own several levers, not to mention just about every other action style. But, in my family we all started with a bolt gun. There is a family .243 that's still banging around, it is currently with my sister's youngest boy. It will go to the next youngster when she gets old enough.

My first personal, and first lefty, rifle was or I should say is as I still have it a Remmy 700 in 30-06. That's the other thing we've all graduated from that .243 to 30-06's except one slightly daft cousin who believed what some fool wrote and sent to a .270. He has since learned that there is no substitute for either horsepower or caliber. He's a bit slow to learn but we love him just the same. :roll:

So, what this is all getting to is that while you may not need more than a 30-30, I was raised to believe you only need a 30-06 for anything on this continent.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Working to make my 99 H 30-30 like this one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Working to make my 99 H 30-30 like this one
Too heavy, long and slow. :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Working to make my 99 H 30-30 like this one

Now you need to add a couple Vintage boxes of these in that picture 8)

jstanfield103
Levergunner

Post by jstanfield103 »

Well I like the 30-30 and for a hunting round it probably is hard to beat. I do not hunt so I very seldom shoot my 30-30. I Love to shoot steel though and I also reload. I use my 357's 44's and 45 Colts because I am set up to reload those and enjoy shooting my Pistol and Rifle combo's together.
So just a little different perspective.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks for your concern tman :lol: , I know it's a burden, but I think I'm man enough to handle the extra half pound of weight and the extra 1& 3/4" of length. :wink:

cshold
Guy that handled the transfer says he has some Savage made ammo he would dig out for me.. Here's hoping that it's not 303 Savage..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Why a scabbard to carry it in, and a horse & saddle to carry me & it! :P :lol: And of course, a Colt SAA, belt & holster.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

[quote="Griff"]Why a scabbard to carry it in, and a horse & saddle to carry me & it! :P :lol: And of course, a Colt SAA, belt & holster.
/quote]

It doesn't get any better than that! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Depends on where you hunt.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Thanks for your concern tman :lol: , I know it's a burden, but I think I'm man enough to handle the extra half pound of weight and the extra 1& 3/4" of length. :wink:

cshold
Guy that handled the transfer says he has some Savage made ammo he would dig out for me.. Here's hoping that it's not 303 Savage..
I have a 99A Great Gun! 8)
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I think the 99 is a lovely rifle or in your case, carbine. Last one we had around here got ruined by shooting a load in it that was fine in my BLR. That one was a 308 Win. Hated losing the rifle but it was a wreck, action stretched, chamber bulged, just wrecked.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Loving the photos guys.

Might I add one?

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

It's all grandma needed to get it done :wink:

Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

cshold wrote:It's all grandma needed to get it done :wink:

30-30, I presume? :D
What year was that?
Merle from PA
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Need? For what I have hunted in the U.S., nothing more is needed. Want is enough to start another thread with.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

cshold wrote:It's all grandma needed to get it done :wink:

What an awesome family photo to have.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

J Miller wrote:I've not been without a 30-30 in neigh on 10 lustrums. I have others, but the most used rifle cartridge I have is the 30-30. I could part with all by my .45 Colts and not get my feelings hurt.

cshold,
Love that Micro-Grove rifling on the the bullet. Looks cool.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I learn something new every day. Now I know what a lustrum is.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Anyone know what year this advertisement is from?

Last edited by cshold on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Beautiful picture in the OP. It was all my Dad ever needed, to hunt with.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cshold wrote:Anyone know what year this advertisement is from?
I'm going to guess the 1930s.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:
cshold wrote:Anyone know what year this advertisement is from?
I'm going to guess the 1930s.
Thanks Griff :)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Just gotta love the graphics on Vintage ammo. boxes 8)

KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Thanks for your concern tman :lol: , I know it's a burden, but I think I'm man enough to handle the extra half pound of weight and the extra 1& 3/4" of length. :wink:

cshold
If it turns out it is 303 savage, pm me please. I have this Savage 99F lightweight, 20" in 303 Savage.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

1 - Copy.jpg
Keith... Turns out he couldn't find any Savage made ammo :shock: But here's my new to me baby :D
WIL TERRY
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

Ben_Rumson wrote:
1 - Copy.jpg
Keith... Turns out he couldn't find any Savage made ammo :shock: But here's my new to me baby :D
Ben, looks like a very nice 99H barrel band, a great 20" lever, with the Lyman 1 aperture to boot. Based on the cheek piece (flat pads) and the butt profile, it should date to 1935-37ish. One of those is on my wish list.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cshold wrote:Just gotta love the graphics on Vintage ammo. boxes 8)

Now that's my kind of Holiday :mrgreen: .

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

cshold wrote:150 vs 170 is a thread topic unto itself :)

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27481
170s were what I first tried, they were MOA in the old 336, and the 1951 Win 94 is about the same.
I have maybe five boxes of 150s I got when ammo was unobtainium, and a couple boxes of 150 bullets for reloading, but I'll stick with the 170s, I think.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV