Thermostat - why put in room vs. hallway...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Thermostat - why put in room vs. hallway...?

Post by AJMD429 »

We were told by the HVAC guy that our office thermostat HAS to be in an exam room vs. the hallway, and yet the room it is in gets hot (exercise testing room) so the other rooms patients are in get so cold. He will come out for a couple hundred bucks and move it into the adjacent room (also likely to be hot due to the External Counterpulsation Bed being in it), but says it can't be moved anywhere else.

Does this make any sense...??? I would think the thermostat should either be in the most 'normal' we have, or else in the common area (i.e. hallway) somewhere away from external doors.

P.S. - I STILL don't understand why the thermostats all have the "Cool - Off - Heat" setting, since in so many environments, you need heat in the morning most of the year, yet cooling in the afternoon. Staff is there to switch it over to "cool" when it's 76 degrees at lunchtime, despite being set at 71, but then it cools down to 71 degrees in the afternoon, then after everyone leaves and it is a cold night, the building cools to 62 degrees, and no heat comes on. We come in the morning and flip the thermostat back to "heat", but WHY can't the oh-so-sophisticated computerized thermostat be made to decide all by its little self whether we need 'heat' or 'cold'...??? I understand you wouldn't want your systems fighting by cycling heat for ten minutes, overshooting, triggering the air conditioning, then that overshoots after ten minutes, triggering heat, etc., but that seems simple to avoid with appropriate delay and logic circuits a kid could build from Radio Shack stuff... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Thermostat - why put in room vs. hallway...?

Post by Pete44ru »

IME, a thermostat can be mounted anywhere it's wires can be run to.

A central area, with open access to the other areas usually works best - but every building's situation is different.

I'd locate it either in a hallway or the reception area (if appropriate).

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

If your HVAC guy doesn't know how to balance the system get another opinion.
There are hot air duct dampers, elect and manual, for zoning and balancing. For hot water baseboard the metal strip between the faceplate and top can be moved like a damper to adjust heat output. For one pipe steam radiators the vent comes in different ratings in addition to an adjustment knob on the top.

The thermostats you want exist. Don't know the price.

http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... l-and-heat

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Prod ... L3550D.htm

https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Is it possible that the hallway is more exposed to outside air currants from an exterior door that is in constant use
Many facilities are managed more for keeping utility costs low, rather than user comfort. Maybe the bean counter has rules and the HVAC knows he is toast if he challenges the counter?
The medical facility I visit the most does have exam rooms that seem to be hothouses as you are noting.
The nurses, doctors, and patients complain but the remote facility manager apparently has a case of deafness.

Ask the HVAC guy to explain his logic on thermostat location, and be sure to have your BS meter on.
Maybe it would be similar to installing a fake thermostat near the person who is always complaining and adjusting the thermostat. They get something to fiddle with, and everyone else gets comfort and piece and quiet! ;)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

TWHBC wrote:
Maybe it would be similar to installing a fake thermostat near the person who is always complaining and adjusting the thermostat.
They get something to fiddle with, and everyone else gets comfort and piece and quiet! ;)

That's just wrong - but I luv it ! . :P . :P . :P . :P

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

It is standard here to locate the thermostat in the hallway. Also every motel I visit, travelling sales, has a Heat-Auto-Cool three setting arrangement. Hope this helps.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since it is a commercial facility (office building) we rent space in, we basically have to buy, install, and maintain all of the equipment, including water heaters and furnaces. So I am so really tempted to move the thermostat myself and might even replace it with one that alternates "heat" versus "cool" on it. To move it all we have to do is make a hole in the drywall on the other side of the wall, unhook the wires, move the thermostat, then reattach the wires.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

AJMD429 wrote:Since it is a commercial facility (office building) we rent space in, we basically have to buy, install, and maintain all of the equipment, including water heaters and furnaces. So I am so really tempted to move the thermostat myself and might even replace it with one that alternates "heat" versus "cool" on it. To move it all we have to do is make a hole in the drywall on the other side of the wall, unhook the wires, move the thermostat, then reattach the wires.
It's easy enough to do. The screws on the back are labeled and the wires are colored. What kind of heat is it?
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Beware you can totally destroy the outside unit, two things will happen and you can bet on one and more than likely both happening. Some sunny winter day your unit will call for cooling and the big block of snow and ice setting on the out side unit will tear up the fan, or said snow will melt from the heat of the condenser and pool in the bottom of said unit and freeze breaking most of the coil. The other thing that will happen is slugging your compressor with liquid refrigerant, and yes I have seen and worked on these problems.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

harry wrote:Beware you can totally destroy the outside unit, two things will happen and you can bet on one and more than likely both happening. Some sunny winter day your unit will call for cooling and the big block of snow and ice setting on the out side unit will tear up the fan, or said snow will melt from the heat of the condenser and pool in the bottom of said unit and freeze breaking most of the coil. The other thing that will happen is slugging your compressor with liquid refrigerant, and yes I have seen and worked on these problems.
How would that happen with an automatically-switching thermostat any more often than with one that is manual...???

If the office is 78 degrees inside, we ARE going to want the 'air conditioning' on, whether manually or automatically.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

AJMD429 wrote:
harry wrote:Beware you can totally destroy the outside unit, two things will happen and you can bet on one and more than likely both happening. Some sunny winter day your unit will call for cooling and the big block of snow and ice setting on the out side unit will tear up the fan, or said snow will melt from the heat of the condenser and pool in the bottom of said unit and freeze breaking most of the coil. The other thing that will happen is slugging your compressor with liquid refrigerant, and yes I have seen and worked on these problems.
How would that happen with an automatically-switching thermostat any more often than with one that is manual...???

If the office is 78 degrees inside, we ARE going to want the 'air conditioning' on, whether manually or automatically.
It will happen with either one. Unless your AC unit is in the basement or under some protection.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

In my house I always have two. The real one is only known by me. The other gets a lot of use.

Owen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

hightime wrote:In my house I always have two. The real one is only known by me. The other gets a lot of use.

Owen
I love it - a "decoy"...! 8)