POLITICS - AK-47

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

POLITICS - AK-47

Post by Bridger158 »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080327/ap_on_re_us/ak47s

Sorry if this has been posted already. This is B.S.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

"AKs and other so-called assault weapons are terrorizing their communities and endangering their officers."

I didn't realize those things could do that all by themselves. :shock: I thought they were inanimate objects that did nothing until someone picked them up and operated them! Learn something new every day! :?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Just goes to show... Guns dont kill people.. criminal scumbags do!!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

AK-47,

Everyone should own at least one.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Own two Ak variants-Saiga SOG modified for high cap mags with pistol grip and a Bulgarian Milled Rcvr Arsenal SLR 100h. :D Image
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Hey Jaguarundi why buy it, just wait for the towelheads to invade, shoot one in the back of the head and take his for free. After all I would think you are unlikely to actually need a battle rifle till they arrive. Just be patient. :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

More agenda powered writing.
Demonizing the tool rather than the user.
Misunderstanding and misrepresenting the tool completely.
Trying to propagate fear among the voting ignorant.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

homefront wrote:More agenda powered writing.
Demonizing the tool rather than the user.
Misunderstanding and misrepresenting the tool completely.
Trying to propagate fear among the voting ignorant.
Exactly!

AK-47,

Agreed!

Bullets fired by AK-47s travel at a higher velocity than those from many other weapons
:roll:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sore shoulder wrote:AK-47,

There's a u-tube video of combat in Iraq that shows at least 3 of our guys aiming AK-47s at the bad guys. I guess they got tired of trying to chuck .22s at 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlNORX006-c&NR=1

If it's good enough for stopping bad guys there then it's good enough for stopping them here. Especially if the BGs are toting them.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote:

There's a u-tube video of combat in Iraq that shows at least 3 of our guys aiming AK-47s at the bad guys. I guess they got tired of trying to chuck .22s at 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlNORX006-c&NR=1

If it's good enough for stopping bad guys there then it's good enough for stopping them here. Especially if the BGs are toting them.
The good thing is, the enemy is your supply line. I know that if my COC allows, I will be carrying one. Many of my squad members have been over there already, and most of them had a number of trophies while in country.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Couldn't you buy AK-47s prior to '05? I remember seeing them in gun shops.

I just don't like them. They feel bulky and uncomfortable. If I ever decide to buy a battle rifle, I'll save up for an M1A.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

For you gents that have been out there and in the middle of it.

Pleading my ignorance,..is there anything or anybody that frowns on U.S. troops using non issued equipment during combat? I fully understand why they want to switch rifles, but does that cause a problem obtaining ammo? Other than the dead bad guy, can the troops get any type of ammo they need and does it have to be "official" issue?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Jason_W wrote:Couldn't you buy AK-47s prior to '05? I remember seeing them in gun shops.

I just don't like them. They feel bulky and uncomfortable. If I ever decide to buy a battle rifle, I'll save up for an M1A.
You can still buy several different AK variants. What happened in 05? You can buy 4 AK's for the price of an M1, and you can buy ammo for about 1/4 the price, making them very attractive for the average joe to buy and practice with. The semi-auto 30-30 makes a very good deer rifle also.
11B30
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

sore shoulder wrote:
Jason_W wrote:Couldn't you buy AK-47s prior to '05? I remember seeing them in gun shops.

You can dtill buy several different AK variants. What happened in 05?
The AWB expired in '04. The articles was trying to draw a correlation between that expiration and an "increase" of AK-47s on the street.

I could have sworn I saw them advertised in "Shotgun News" between '93 and '04.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Jason_W wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:

You can dtill buy several different AK variants. What happened in 05?
The AWB expired in '04. The articles was trying to draw a correlation between that expiration and an "increase" of AK-47s on the street.

I could have sworn I saw them advertised in "Shotgun News" between '93 and '04.
Yep, the AWB was written by folks ignorant concerning guns. Next time it will be different.
11B30
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

At a bare minimum. It should be made into a law or something.

I remember when you had your choice of a Norinco or Polytech, either of which were only $329 in local gun shops back 1989. The Steyr AUG was the same price. If only I would have known.......
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:AK-47, Everyone should own at least one.
Bleah. An expensive mouth to feed.

I'll use my 92 to get one when and if I need one.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Old Ironsights wrote:...I'll use my 92 to get one when and if I need one.
OI,
Or just use your Liberator...

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:AK-47, Everyone should own at least one.
Bleah. An expensive mouth to feed.
Was? The only thing cheaper to feed is a .22! :o
11B30
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

"The best reason to own one is because the government doesn't want you to." - Michael Bane (TV and internet gun guy)
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

sore shoulder wrote:

You can still buy several different AK variants. What happened in 05? You can buy 4 AK's for the price of an M1, and you can buy ammo for about 1/4 the price, making them very attractive for the average joe to buy and practice with. The semi-auto 30-30 makes a very good deer rifle also.
I used a Ruger Mini 30 years on deer, with good results. I sold it due to it always jamming with anything other than the 5 rnd factory mag. I just sent a money order off for a Saiga 7.62x39 and still have a $100 in my pocket to buy Tapco parts with to convert to traditional AK.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Jaguarundi wrote:Own two Ak variants-Saiga SOG modified for high cap mags with pistol grip and a Bulgarian Milled Rcvr Arsenal SLR 100h. :D Image
You have good tastes Jaguarundi :wink:
I have a few semi's and two of them happen to be AK's I admit I don't shoot them as much any more but I can not bring my self to sell them either.

Here's my Bulgarian SLR100H - GordonTech

Bulgarian SA93 - Modified
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
pomofo
Levergunner

Post by pomofo »

Salvo,

What lower handguard is that on your SA93? I've been looking for something like that for my SLR-105.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

pomofo, the SA93 started life as a wood thumbhole stocked AK, the lower handguard came from a standard U.S. made polymer set from K-VAR Corp.
http://www.k-var.com/shop/
Then I just fitted and mounted the accessory rail to it, from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... 27&s=42223

Pretty simple mod, if you take your time you can fit the rail to about any handguard.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

This one isn't mine, but I built it's twin a couple of years ago when the Hungarian AMD-65 kits hit the U.S. market. The scope mount has a see-through peep inside and the 20 round magazine just looks right on that short barrel AMD frame. The extra long muzzle break was drilled and pinned to bring it to the 16" minimum barrel length. It's good knowing that this puppy (and a couple of it's brothers in various configurations) is sitting in the wings with several sardine cans full of the old steel core surplus Chinese ammo that is now almost impossible to obtain.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Mojo, tell me about that scope mount.
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The only AK clone that has ever interested me was the Saiga .410

I just can't get into them.

Of course, I'm not a huge fan of the M16 series either.

Like I said, I'lltake a battle rifle off a body before I buy another one. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Salvo, nice picture :D !My SLR (made in bulgaria)has the K Var synthetic stocks for US compliance.I bought the SLR new in the box in 2002 from a dealer for $625 out the door :D !Can't touch a milled AK for that price now.Old Ironsights-the 410 Saiga is nice.Bought one in 2002 used for $150.Gave to a Ol'Nam Vet friend who is lame in the right hand with several boxes of 3" 000 buck shells(loaded with 5 pellets)for home defense.I also own a Saiga 12 gauge(AK op system)it's in the corner of the bedroom. :) Why a AK?It's reliable,low maintenance and I had the wisdom to buy case lots of Wolf HP ammuntion at $80 a case lot,along with mags at very low cost(east german 75rnd drums @ $50 each,5 30 rnd mags @ $25 etc.)I shoot South African boxer primed brass ammo for practice and reload soft points.Rationale-well LA riots,Hurricane Ivan & Katrina.The latter two I lived through and slept good at night with my AK's. :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I know a guy who did a Saiga 12 with a 10" SBR and side folder. That is a sweet shotty.
11B30
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Grizz,here is a photo of US marines in Iraq practicing :D !Looks like a Iraqi Romak AK.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

A Russian Spetnaz morale poster.The weapon is a supressed heavy bullet 9x39mm(sp-5 load subsonic or sp-6 armour piercing ammo) chambered rifle known as the VSS.The scope is IR capable.Lethal range 400 meters(like a rainbow)for the cartridge.The poster rough translates(my russian is rusty)"we have the cure for terrorism-death"? :D Image :twisted:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

The poster show Spetnaz removing terrorists from a subway :twisted: !
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

That's just the thing with the new Saiga's. You can get a .223, 7.62x39, or .308 for around $300-$400. I've seen the .223 on the internet for $246. And they can be converted to pistol grip and MILSPEC mags very easy. And most people are putting the Saiga's on the same level as the Arsenal weapons made in Las Vegas that are 2-3 times more expensive. So we better get'em now, 1) while they are cheap, 2) before a democrap gets in office and puts a stop to'em.

Johnny

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Blackhawk wrote: I've seen the .223 on the internet for $246. And they can be converted to pistol grip and MILSPEC mags very easy. Johnny
The .223 Saiga can be converted to use AR mags?
11B30
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Frank,

Yes I do believe that it can.

Johnny

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Frank,

I may have miss spoken. It seems some were made but I'm not sure where to find'em.

This guy had a few.
Stanley Smith
PO BOX 2193
DAWSONVILLE, GA 30534

ph# 706-974-6174
mobile# 904-669-4886
fax# 706-344-1394
e-mail: stanley3smithATmsnDOTcom

Also, it was reported that www.dinzagarms.com was starting to make them so you might want to check there. Also, other Saiga related sites to check might be www.tromix.com www.ak47.net

Also, here's a link to convert to a tactical mag release button.
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.p ... al_release

Johnny

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Thanks Johnny, I did some googling and ran across most of that info. Looks like I found the perfect truck gun. :lol:
11B30
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I am no gun snob. When my .357 Marlin was stolen, I replaced it with this:

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

ScottT wrote:I am no gun snob. When my .357 Marlin was stolen, I replaced it with this:
That'll teach em. :lol: Sorry to hear about the lost Marlin. I dont have mine either, sold it to a forum member down in TX when I enlisted, needed some cash.

I see by that target you must have gotten the only accurate AK ever made, cause everyone knows an AK isn't accurate past 25 yrds. Yes, I've actually heard people say that. Of course they dont own, nor have they ever shot an AK, but according to them "everyone knows it's true". :roll:
11B30
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

ScottT,minute of paperplate will work :D !Sore shoulder the saiga I own in 7.62x39 is a SOG hi-cap conversion with pistol grip.The quality is comparable to a Arsenal stamp reciever AK for allot less clams.Picked mine up in a pawnshop for $200 in 2002.The hi-cap conversion is just a file away on the mag release latch for 7.62x39. :wink:
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Frank,

This might interest you on the AR mag conversion.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?sho ... ntry216944

A dremel, some files, and maybe a punch and you can do wonders on these Saigas.

Johnny

donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

here in the wonderful "golden state", for one to possess an AK or it's variants is against the law.

california DOJ has a code that's 99 pages long describing 'assault weapons'.

i agree with old ironsights.

i'll take the good ole m-14; leave the .223/5.56 as a varmint round.

it does look like the military is coming back to its senses though as they're feilding the 6.8/6.9 to replace the 5.56. who knows...they may find their way back to the 30-06.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

donw wrote:here in the wonderful "golden state", for one to possess an AK or it's variants is against the law.

california DOJ has a code that's 99 pages long describing 'assault weapons'.

i agree with old ironsights.

i'll take the good ole m-14; leave the .223/5.56 as a varmint round.

it does look like the military is coming back to its senses though as they're feilding the 6.8/6.9 to replace the 5.56. who knows...they may find their way back to the 30-06.
FYI, in case you don't realize it, if you live in a state that illegaly violates The Constituion, you are paying the salaries of the traitors who are doing it. I know many have a lot of reasons why they can't leave. If your stationed there in service to the country thats one thing. Something to think on.
11B30
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Jaguarundi wrote:ScottT,minute of paperplate will work :D !Sore shoulder the saiga I own in 7.62x39 is a SOG hi-cap conversion with pistol grip.The quality is comparable to a Arsenal stamp reciever AK for allot less clams.Picked mine up in a pawnshop for $200 in 2002.The hi-cap conversion is just a file away on the mag release latch for 7.62x39. :wink:
Both of mine will shoot better than that now. :D I have two Chinese guns, converted MAK90s and they will both do better than this all day long now that the triggers are right. I think I have about $300-350 a piece in them.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

donw wrote:it does look like the military is coming back to its senses though as they're feilding the 6.8/6.9 to replace the 5.56. who knows...they may find their way back to the 30-06.
No, thats a myth. The 6.8 has been tested by the Army a few times, and special ops tried it out, but the 5.56 is still standard issue, and will be for a long time, for good reason. All doctrine is based upon multiple hits, and the 5.56 allows more rounds and less weight. All the stories about 5.56 not working are just that. Unfortunately all the witnesses are dead :lol: . The MK262 77gr 5.56 Sierra BTHP Match round manufactured for the military by Black Hills is flatter shooting and hits almost as hard as the 6.8 and is being issued to special ops and marksmen, (all this is common knowledge and has been written about in American Rifleman among other magazines and can be found on Wiki for those who may be concerned about "security" issues) without the need to change the barrel, bolt, and magazine. I've never heard of a 6.9.
11B30
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

sore shoulder wrote:Mojo, tell me about that scope mount.
It was manufactured by ACE Ltd. ( www.riflestocks.com ) but was discontinued about three years ago. It was called the AKSMS. I was fortunate enough to catch a guy on akfiles.com that was able to buy some of the last remaining stock from them. It's really too bad because this thing is just as sweet as pie. It's basically a Picatiny rail integrated with a M16A2 rear sight assembly. The whole thing replaces the standard AK rear sight but still uses the existing sight block. It wasn't easy to install and required quite a bit of hand work with a drill press and taps but it was well worth the effort. I wish I had bought at least two more when I had the chance.
Last edited by Mojo on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

"AKs and other so-called assault weapons are terrorizing their communities and endangering their officers."
After reading about this horror, I ran to my safe to see if my AK was up to no good. I must of built a good one because it was still there and not threatening any mischief.
Don
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

GET RID OF THE THUG"S, NOT THE GUN"S. I think that story didn't mention That was a Gang related shooting, Oh I'm sorry but we dont have a gang problem, just a bunch of mixed up anti-social misfits that like to party together and terrorize and prey on the law abiding citizens that mostly dont carry a gun.
You cant blame them because that bad AK that told them to do it. That's what the Gun Grabbers in Washington keep telling us. Every election year they start this line of stuff. Take away all those bad gun's and all the crooks will fall in line and go straight and lead productive lives and become pillers of the community. HORSE "you know what"
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

ScottT wrote:
Jaguarundi wrote:ScottT,minute of paperplate will work :D !Sore shoulder the saiga I own in 7.62x39 is a SOG hi-cap conversion with pistol grip.The quality is comparable to a Arsenal stamp reciever AK for allot less clams.Picked mine up in a pawnshop for $200 in 2002.The hi-cap conversion is just a file away on the mag release latch for 7.62x39. :wink:
Both of mine will shoot better than that now. :D I have two Chinese guns, converted MAK90s and they will both do better than this all day long now that the triggers are right. I think I have about $300-350 a piece in them.
Yup,it is allabout the trigger!My Arsenal & Saiga shoot MOA with decent ammo(open sights). :wink: I once had a egyptian Maadi..minute of pieplate on a good day. :lol: The Arsenal & Romaks chambered in 5.45x39 I have shot will easily do a scary SubMOA with opensights! :shock:
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

Sometimes I feel like things are artificially stacked against us. Remember: all of this "assault weapons" talk is being bandied about while New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin, and his lackey, Warren Rilley, want to ban assault weapons. I do not know of the Jefferson parish PD's plan for assault weapons, but their new bossman wants his officers to have matching firepower! Good for Sheriff Newel Normand!

I understand that none of these gubmint-types want to be out-gunned. I wish they would understand that being insecure crybabies, who want to ban the opposition, is not going to stop crime. If New Orleans' leaders would do their jobs, and stop being drama queens, then that city would be a much better place, instead of a toilet. :x :cry: :evil: :x :cry: :!:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage