Rossi 92 chamber issue

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gregor
Levergunner

Rossi 92 chamber issue

Post by Gregor »

A friend just bought a Rossi 92 .357 Magnum 16" BBL. I noticed that the chamber appears to have been "throated" similar to a 1911, it looks egg shaped. It does feed .38 Special 158gr. LSWC flawlessly. Has Rossi modified the chamber on newer 92's, or has someone else worked on it?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi 92 chamber issue

Post by Griff »

I think I need a picture to understand what you're asking. Are you saying they've changed the leade from the chamber to the rifling... making it able to accept longer bullets before engaging the rifling; or are you saying they've "ramped" the bottom of the chamber to allow a longer round to feed easier?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Was it new or used...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Throated similar to a 1911, would imply it's been "ramped".
How much is too much is a matter of degree. Here are three examples of factory ramped .45 Colts.

Here is the chamber on an Armi Sport Model 92 takedown:

Here's the throat on a Rossi 92:

And here's the throat on a Winchester Model 94:

The Rossi is middle of the road, while Model 94's chamber is pretty aggressively ramped. The Winchester however handles Ruger only loads just fine with no bulging of the brass. That's pretty much the weather gauge of when it's too much. carefully examine the brass to ensure there is no bulge corresponding to the ramped portion of the chamber. In the extreme, with overly soft brass, excessive pressure and an excessively ramped chamber you can get this:

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Gregor wrote:A friend just bought a Rossi 92 .357 Magnum 16" BBL. I noticed that the chamber appears to have been "throated" similar to a 1911, it looks egg shaped. It does feed .38 Special 158gr. LSWC flawlessly. Has Rossi modified the chamber on newer 92's, or has someone else worked on it?

AFAIK, Rossi isn't throating M92 chambers - so I would presume the throating on your friend's rifle to be done aftermarket.

Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Thank's for the pictures and responses. I spent the other day at the gun club shooting it with .38 Spec. 158gr. LSWC and factory .357 Magnum loads. The beveling/throating/chamfering of the chamber is causing bulging of the case in the web area. The chamber is more egg shaped, off set to the 5 o'clock position and extends farther into the chamber than Model 52B's photos show.

My current digital camera cannot focus well enough to take a good picture. Myles, the rifles' owner, just bought it from a local gunstore, I am not sure if it was new or "as new" used. It looks new with no handling marks. He wanted me to work on his '92 as I had worked on mine, but after I saw the chamber, I told him I would shoot it first before any further work was considered.

I'll get a hold of Myles and see what he wants to do. (He is out of town on business).

I appreciate everyone's help.
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

Gregor wrote:Thank's for the pictures and responses. I spent the other day at the gun club shooting it with .38 Spec. 158gr. LSWC and factory .357 Magnum loads. The beveling/throating/chamfering of the chamber is causing bulging of the case in the web area. The chamber is more egg shaped, off set to the 5 o'clock position and extends farther into the chamber than Model 52B's photos show.

My current digital camera cannot focus well enough to take a good picture. Myles, the rifles' owner, just bought it from a local gunstore, I am not sure if it was new or "as new" used. It looks new with no handling marks. He wanted me to work on his '92 as I had worked on mine, but after I saw the chamber, I told him I would shoot it first before any further work was considered.

I'll get a hold of Myles and see what he wants to do. (He is out of town on business).

I appreciate everyone's help.
One of the major attributes of the Model 92 is that it is a very strong action (it handles .454 Casull just fine at the SAAMI spec of 65,000 psi) and it would be unfortunate for a poorly throated chamber to compromise that strength.

I will normally see a very slight asymmetrical bulge on .45 Colt cases fired in my Winchester - very subtle but there - that is not evident on the same loads fired in a Blackhawk, and it's never been an issue. But if that .357 is bulging cases to any significant degree, I'd return it.
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Thanks Model52B for the information. Myles told me he bought it from a LGS and that the rifle came from a collector that did not shoot it, supposedly. He called Rossi and was told that their firearms carry a one year warranty from date of manufacture, based on serial number. He was quoted $225 for the barrel, $30 bench fee and $50 shipping. He's decided to keep it and told me to tune it up.

The cases resize to remove the bulge, but I am not sure if the brass is over stretched to the point of future failure. He doesn't reload and told me he would live with it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You could have the barrel shoulder turned a few thousands and recut the chamber and extractor groove.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com