Eating

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Eating

Post by sore shoulder »

You guys probably know about Sheldon Brown's website. The information on gears and equipment is invaluable to a cyclist IMO.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the late Sheldon - yes, I referenced his gear calculator in an earlier post.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/
And if you like reading Grant Petersen copy, Sheldon has links to all the old Bridgestone catalogs
http://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Ahh I missed your earlier post then. I used to use his calculator to see how the gears overlapped, but any more all I care about is the top and bottom gear and let the rest fall where they will. When you ride over some of the passes here with steep grades that go on for 10 miles or more, you will need that bailout gear. What most consider alpine gearing will leave you walking the bike before you're halfway up. See it a lot on the Copper Triangle ride.

Did you say "late"? As in passed on?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

yes, Sheldon passed 5 years ago
http://sheldonbrown.com/home.html

I think my favorite Grant Petersen quote is, it's OK to get off the bike - you can be a biathlete. And he actually has a good point - at some point in low-inch gears, your progress vs. energy loss makes more sense to walk.

Breathing and air pressure isn't the only factor in respiration. Heat, humidity and cooling are very significant.
The Texas hill country produced Lance's cooling system (regardless of respiration enhancing drugs that came after his cancer)
Last edited by bdhold on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

piller wrote:I have recently started cutting the junk food out. I have lost 2 pounds in 10 days without doing anything extra. I have been walking a couple of miles 3 evenings a week for a while. Much more than that is painful due to having a job where I stand in one spot for 8 to 14 hours a day without a break. That will kill your feet and knees. When It starts staying light late enough into the evening, I will start riding the mountain bike again. My weight is 230 pounds right now. I need to lose about 30 more. I graduated High School at 145 pounds and was way, way too skinny. Peak condition was in the Army and at 210 pounds. At that stage, I could run 4 miles in 28 minutes in formation while calling cadence 5 days a week (we all did), do 120 pushups in the 2 minutes allotted in the PFT test, and 70 situps in the 2 minutes. The 2 mile run was only 12 minutes 25 seconds at my best. I felt slow at that pace since we had guys do it in 9 minutes and some seconds. For fun in the evening we hit the gym since it was all that was available on the post I was at. Camp Greaves had a movie theater that was open once a month, no bar except the Officers Club, and only the Katusa Snack Bar for food outside of chow hall times. I never got above 400 pounds max on the bench press, and that was not even close to what the guys who had been athletes in High School could do. Having worked an average of 6 days a week for the last 18 years and an average of 10 hours per day at a job where you stand in one spot the entire time has really changed things. If my profession would all stick together and demand lunch breaks so that we could eat something healthy instead of just a bag of chips or box of crackers, it would help us all. If I had it all to do over again, I would take the easy way out and not be in this Profession. 200 College Credit hours just to get the Bachelor's degree in this job and a requirement of 4.0 GPA to apply for it is not really worth it.

piller----------------- You might want to look into going online (Ebay etc.)and getting a used NordicTrack Ski Machine (I like the Pro Model)extremely well built,extremely easy on the knees,works the heck out of you,yet is easy to learn.(you can find them on there for around $100(but yet new they are over $600)
As for the bagged junk food------heck, take a hearty sandwich of (hearty grain bread/peanut butter)if not allergic to peanut butter and have a huge bag of unsalted almonds always at the ready)-----combined with good spring water! :wink:
If you guys wanted to---------------------you could have a designated place(you get the value sized stuff)and all share the cost!
Stuff can sit out----------------be at the ready-----------------and shelf life is long!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Streetstar wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:Doug,
Your crank looks like 135 bcd.
You should no problem getting a 44T outer chainring, either Campy, Stronglight or TA.
I know, but for me the biggest issue is the 39T little ring :lol:
btw, 39 is the smallest chainring you can put on 135 bcd.
http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

And a 44t outer is pretty small. I have a 53 and just changed out my cassette to one with an 11t small gear because I was over spinning with the 12t.
11B30
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:
piller wrote:I have recently started cutting the junk food out. I have lost 2 pounds in 10 days without doing anything extra. I have been walking a couple of miles 3 evenings a week for a while. Much more than that is painful due to having a job where I stand in one spot for 8 to 14 hours a day without a break. That will kill your feet and knees. When It starts staying light late enough into the evening, I will start riding the mountain bike again. My weight is 230 pounds right now. I need to lose about 30 more. I graduated High School at 145 pounds and was way, way too skinny. Peak condition was in the Army and at 210 pounds. At that stage, I could run 4 miles in 28 minutes in formation while calling cadence 5 days a week (we all did), do 120 pushups in the 2 minutes allotted in the PFT test, and 70 situps in the 2 minutes. The 2 mile run was only 12 minutes 25 seconds at my best. I felt slow at that pace since we had guys do it in 9 minutes and some seconds. For fun in the evening we hit the gym since it was all that was available on the post I was at. Camp Greaves had a movie theater that was open once a month, no bar except the Officers Club, and only the Katusa Snack Bar for food outside of chow hall times. I never got above 400 pounds max on the bench press, and that was not even close to what the guys who had been athletes in High School could do. Having worked an average of 6 days a week for the last 18 years and an average of 10 hours per day at a job where you stand in one spot the entire time has really changed things. If my profession would all stick together and demand lunch breaks so that we could eat something healthy instead of just a bag of chips or box of crackers, it would help us all. If I had it all to do over again, I would take the easy way out and not be in this Profession. 200 College Credit hours just to get the Bachelor's degree in this job and a requirement of 4.0 GPA to apply for it is not really worth it.

piller----------------- You might want to look into going online (Ebay etc.)and getting a used NordicTrack Ski Machine (I like the Pro Model)extremely well built,extremely easy on the knees,works the heck out of you,yet is easy to learn.(you can find them on there for around $100(but yet new they are over $600)
As for the bagged junk food------heck, take a hearty sandwich of (hearty grain bread/peanut butter)if not allergic to peanut butter and have a huge bag of unsalted almonds always at the ready)-----combined with good spring water! :wink:
If you guys wanted to---------------------you could have a designated place(you get the value sized stuff)and all share the cost!
Stuff can sit out----------------be at the ready-----------------and shelf life is long!

The Caveman thing says cut out bread , taters and peanuts . Also milk cheese and other dairey products .

I'd already started cutting back on breads and taters . I suspect I'm gonna have to bend the rules a bit and keep the dairy I drink ALOT of skim milk and eat a good bit of cheese . Skim milk to me is like coffee is to some of you folks !

I'm not a big fish eater but the Caveman thing says eat alot of fish especially the ones containing Omega 3 , I suppose I can get used to more tuna , salmon and some other fish . Only time will tell . Think I'll hit the grocery store tommorrow and pick up the fixings as well as almonds , walnuts and some berries :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:
madman4570 wrote:

The Caveman thing says cut out bread , taters and peanuts . Also milk cheese and other dairey products .

I'd already started cutting back on breads and taters . I suspect I'm gonna have to bend the rules a bit and keep the dairy I drink ALOT of skim milk and eat a good bit of cheese . Skim milk to me is like coffee is to some of you folks !

I'm not a big fish eater but the Caveman thing says eat alot of fish especially the ones containing Omega 3 , I suppose I can get used to more tuna , salmon and some other fish . Only time will tell . Think I'll hit the grocery store tommorrow and pick up the fixings as well as almonds , walnuts and some berries :wink:

Man, I don't know about cutting all milk products/and peanuts????
Unless you have a ailment like some noted above------I would think you want something that you might be able to live with.
No skim milk/yogart/peanut butter????

I have lost 14lbs in the last 20 days(without extra exercise)------why do they not like peanuts--???(the salt)???
They have the low sodium in that------------------I eat 1 jar a week with 3 celery bunches.
Also those not liking yogart---try the blended type and put it into freezer 3 hrs before eating it----------------------------------------excellent, and helps prevent bad stuff like C-Diff
Also those Nature Valley Protien Nut Carmel Bars------160 cals/10gr protien/etc.(5 bars at Walmart for like $2.50)--Good!

Peanut butter

Fact or Fiction ??-------------------- This creamy spread is an indulgence best enjoyed occasionally because it's high in fat and calories.
Fiction

Why it's good for you:At least five major studies confirm that eating peanuts can lower risk for coronary heart disease. So it's no leap to think that peanut butter confers the same benefits. "Suffice it to say that eating peanut butter or peanuts has been associated with lower total cholesterol, lower ldl or 'bad' cholesterol, and lower triglycerides, all of which are associated with lower cardiovascular disease risk," (Richard Mattes, Ph.D., R.D., a professor of nutrition at Purdue University.)

Health benefits seem to occur without also promoting weight gain. One reason could be that peanut butter is a stick-to-the-ribs kind of food. When Mattes offered a group of volunteers seven different snack foods (including peanut butter, rice cakes, pickles, and almonds), study participants reported that peanut butter or peanuts were much more filling snacks than rice cakes or pickles and tamed hunger for much longer. Small amounts can quell hunger, that might explain why dieters seem more satisfied with weight-loss plans that include the peanut butter spread.

But dieting or not, Mattes says a tablespoon or two of peanut butter is all it takes to net a world of benefits for both the heart and waistline. And don't obsess about peanut butter being a source of trans fats. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture finds no detectable trans fats in a standard 2 tablespoon serving.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think part of the thing against peanuts is the fact that they're actually not a nut . Lessening salt is also another biggie which I have already started cutting back on anyway .

For nuts they mention UNSALTED almonds , walnuts , macadamia and brazil nuts also maybe hazelnuts .

Also say it okay to eat seeds so I'm thinking unsalted sunflower seeds would be okay ! A friends father eats pumpkin seeds but this guy is Iranian so what does he know lol's .

Strangely enough the caveman diet also said steer clear of STRING BEANS ?????
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here are links to the caveman and paleo diets !

http://www.cavemanpower.com/food/cavema ... _diet.html

http://thepaleodiet.com/#

Now I am sure if I followed their instruction 100% it would probably do better . But it also says in their somewhere to do to suit yourself (within reason) . So it is "my belief" that if I follow it as closely as i can and not loose intrest as well as do a certain amount of excercise each day it should cleanse my system possibly help me loose some weight and if nothing else feel better and more vitalized each day !

As I stated earlier I was at 250 a year ago , I am at 220 now . I would like to get down to 170 and I've set that as my longrange goal for 2 years from now . Based on what I've read from others perhaps my long range goal will be attainable even with a few minor changes in the caveman diet !
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

6pt-sika wrote:Here are links to the caveman and paleo diets !

Now I am sure if I followed their instruction 100% it would probably do better . But it also says in their somewhere to do to suit yourself (within reason) . So it is "my belief" that if I follow it as closely as i can and not loose intrest as well as do a certain amount of excercise each day it should cleanse my system possibly help me loose some weight and if nothing else feel better and more vitalized each day !

As I stated earlier I was at 250 a year ago , I am at 220 now . I would like to get down to 170 and I've set that as my longrange goal for 2 years from now . Based on what I've read from others perhaps my long range goal will be attainable even with a few minor changes in the caveman diet !

Don't sweat it that you aren't doing it exactly, 6pt. Just do as well as you can and be as clean as you can. Some of it, such as milk and cheese, can be added in later.

One other thing I failed to mention is something so simple it is kind of shocking. One of my hunting buddies, a Chiropractor swears up and down if someone wants to lose weight, eat a grapefruit every single night before you go to bed. He swears you don't have to do anything else. I've done it and found he is indeed correct, but I also am on a 'fairly' strict diet. Not a lose weight diet, just a specialized diet.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2X22 wrote:

Don't sweat it that you aren't doing it exactly, 6pt. Just do as well as you can and be as clean as you can. Some of it, such as milk and cheese, can be added in later.

One other thing I failed to mention is something so simple it is kind of shocking. One of my hunting buddies, a Chiropractor swears up and down if someone wants to lose weight, eat a grapefruit every single night before you go to bed. He swears you don't have to do anything else. I've done it and found he is indeed correct, but I also am on a 'fairly' strict diet. Not a lose weight diet, just a specialized diet.
Man I love most citrus fruits with a grapefruit being an exception .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Don't sweat it too much --- if you are doing more work(exercising) and overall eating cleaner , you can afford a few indulgences here and there. Getting rid of cheese would be darn tough for me too , but my real weakness is beer ---- i like it ice cold, domestic, and lots ot it (the type of stuff many people look down their noses at, Miller Lite, Budweiser, etc . :lol: )
Since life is a system of checks and balances, this morning's breakfast consisted of a few strips of turkey bacon and an omelet made with 1 egg and 3 egg whites ---- it was tasty --- not as tasty as a blowout breakfast at Waffle House, but it will offset the sack full of beers i am bound to drink later tonight while i am working on my motorcycle in the garage.

I figure if i occasionally drink 2 loafs of bread worth of beer, i won't compliment my meals with too many starches --- if i know i'm tee-totalling for a while, i can slide in some hash browns occasionally, but i have been getting plenty of carbs from fresh fruit lately -- strawberry prices have been good and i have been keeping applie slices around --
-- last night my wife and i watched a movie together, instead of a big sack of popcorn, i made up a plate of celery sticks with light cream cheese instead , she really wanted to go out for MExican food yesterday afternoon as well , but i told her the beans, tortillas , rice and chips would kill me right now, -- so i talked her into letting me make a pot of bison chili instead for us. It didnt take too long since i used pre-cut veggies, canned tomatoes.

Eating clean can be rough for the first couple of months, and your family can sabotage you even though they dont mean to -- all it takes is one pizza night or one trip out of town when your not prepared to throw you out of whack and get you off schedule, --- same with exercise, too many people make the mistake of missing a scheduled workout here or there and before you know it, they havent been to the gym in months ---
My sweet wife doesn't understand my somewhat newfound "buckling down" either because i never let my diet get out of hand before , but i just told her that i'm getting slightly older and my body is becoming less and less tolerant of certain things, even though they are things i crave sometimes.
Give me 2 or 3 slices of pizza and it will have a similar effect to taking half a Tylenol PM after 30 minutes, --- but i eat like clean (even though it sounds bland) and i feel alert, and productive for much longer.
I dont really like the slogan "Eat to live, not live to eat" because i genuinely like good food, but after a couple months, the right choices just start coming to you naturally.

And much like me and my beer, if you love cheese and milk, you can make up ground for that somewhere else -- i'd venture to say thats a far better indiscretion than having a soda pop habit ----
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Holy Cow-----------------------I can fit into my 36" waist shorts! :lol: :D

This 2000 cal a day thing is absolutely fantastic-------------------------I have not had one single thing of junk since I started.
Now, when I take a bite of a carrot--------------------it tastes as sweet as a snickers bar used to!

My wife said when I was coming out of shower------------------------man are you looking GOOD! :oops: :D

Ok---she really has me cranked now------------34" waist or bust ---------------------and ain't ever going back!
I might even get a ab six pack :lol: (not beer)

If fact------our 2 acre nice hilly lawn----(have not even started the Wheel Horse Rider this year)
Doing it in just over an hour with a 21" non-propelled Lawn Boy!---------and it wasn't nothing!

Feel real good!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:Holy Cow-----------------------I can fit into my 36" waist shorts! :lol: :D

This 2000 cal a day thing is absolutely fantastic-------------------------I have not had one single thing of junk since I started.
Now, when I take a bite of a carrot--------------------it tastes as sweet as a snickers bar used to!

My wife said when I was coming out of shower------------------------man are you looking GOOD! :oops: :D

Ok---she really has me cranked now------------34" waist or bust ---------------------and ain't ever going back!
I might even get a ab six pack :lol: (not beer)

If fact------our 2 acre nice hilly lawn----(have not even started the Wheel Horse Rider this year)
Doing it in just over an hour with a 21" non-propelled Lawn Boy!---------and it wasn't nothing!

Feel real good!
Cool !

I dunno if I can get down to 34" but I have gone from OMG 42 down to 38 already ! and the 38 are sliding down a bit if I don't wear a belt !

Woulda tried 36's but I don't have any here that are decent enough to wear anylonger LOL's !

Gonna try cooking salmon tommorrow night !
I ain't the big fish eater but perhaps that can change !

Wish our stupid Food Lion had fresh tuna !
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Good job madman, Only thing I would suggest if I may, add in more greens and veggies in general, and watch the sugar. Those cereal bars and yogurts can be packed full of sugar, and little else, not all calories are created equal. A basic rule of thumb, if you have two choices, one looks like it came from outside and one is wrapped up in a nifty square..the one that came from outside is probably better for you.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:
madman4570 wrote:
2X22 wrote:What kind of bench? I can't remember what kind ours is, but I've been putting in my $.02 for a different one. My partner has really short legs, I need a taller bench. Maybe I'll just put a new one up at my house instead of down at his place where our gym is.
Valor Fitness BF-48(with spotter racks/stand)
Video don't do it justice 2x22 it is an absolute beast.
Just the diamond plate on the small spotter stand area I bet weighs about 20lbs??? (like what's on a fire truck that type thickness floor plate)
The tubing and racks---------------------------OMG--------------overkill

Bench weighs aprox.-----------------------------------140lbs :shock:

$375 shipped from factory------and I don't see how???????????? (they can make a dime)?
That's for everything shown!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEeOZG2IKEo
Excellent! I think I may get one too. That is just perfect for up here at my place!

2x22-----------------
Bench is put together------When I first started(reading the Owners Manual)I thought,oh boy here we go again gonna be like that big party grill I had to put together :lol:
What it was is it just has this small disassembled pic showing arrows to the (many/many parts)and the parts on the diagram have (description ID's)example---one of the bottom supports is AD--01, so I pull a bunch of the tubed rails out(a lot like each other "except" all different location holes----No ID numbers on any parts :shock:
The bolts/washers/nuts/etc are all in one big bag(not marked)and the diagram just says etc.----10 of 25mm x 70mm x .750 on and on!
The diagram just (a pic of a nut/washer/bolt)---but which one??????/

Bottom line after about 2 hrs--------I got it and it is indeed rugged.

One thing(maybe it is me)???
I am a tall guy------my bench grip even when I am all the way wide(out to those side racks)it is still a little under what I use(but I will guess I will get used to it)
Another thing-------I like my head(my eyes)further back from just under the bar------I like about another 6 inches back further----when I take bar off rack when bar is just directly above my eyes it feels I am too far forward and almost gives me the feeling like I am starting a triceps extension feeling????

So---I just grabbed a treated 2"x8" and made a 11"X 14" stool that buts right up to edge of bench(at head area)this sits on that diamond plate safety stand that is 12" directly underneath bench head area.(I made it 11" tall cause I just installed 1.5" of super high density covered foam to rest the back of my head on.
I measured the distance I am pushing the bar up when I bench(from chest to arm extension)even with a super wide grip-----17"vertical distance.

To me going narrower seems harder not like most people say??????????
My favorite wrip width distance is 48" and this is with a 15" (chest to extension)vertical distance.
This bench I can only grip about 41" at widest(and that is pushing it not to bang hands against rails)???????????
I have a reach of 80 inches!
It's funny,when I stand next to a guy that is like 6'7" my shoulders are at same height-----------------it just(I have no neck) :lol:
My wife says my ear lobes almost touch top of my shoulders-----she thinks maybe it because I have big shoulders??? But that should not matter if the 6'7" guys shoulders are only where mine are?????????

Also------I have to fess up about how I was benching with lighter weight specically that 202lbs---(was at a gym yesterday and a Pro lifter from Florida was there,we talked about various methods etc.)he watched me bench the 200lbs even(I did 37 reps)I have done 40 in past of 202lbs---------------------he said---------------nope, I am going them too fast-----------said you are not quite but getting close to bouncing bar off chest(not quite but close)he had me slow it down------------waited 20 minutes doing some stretches he showed me then I benched again----I went from 37 to 31 ??? He said actually I will probably make 40 reps by this method.Stating that holding your breath every 3 or 4 fast reps is only hurting my benching and possibly might tear a tendon or even crack a rib if I get too carried away.
Safety being all about control of the weight!
So because of holding bar longer between each rep(thus, it tires me out guicker)
Now---when I go heavier(50lbs etc.)it automatically by nature of higher forces me to slow down.
How long do you pause between each rep say with 200lbs then 250lbs-----is it always the same time for you???????

So----bottom line when I was bragging to everyone on here doing 40 reps of 202lbs(at my best)in all logic it was actually probably by my above other difference only about 33 reps taking a slow pause in between each rep.????????
Gotta call it for what it is-----------------------to be real! So Streetstar thinking me doing 40 nice slow even reps of 202lbs(he was right)in that relm I would have come up about 7 reps shy???????

At present-------------------doing nice slow reps (I am happy doing 12-15 reps of 247lbs)--------------and I am trying my a## off to keep gaining lifting poundage but in same deal-----sucking body weight----------kinda happy (for now)to just keep that lifting poundage on bar where it is ????? It's tough!

Wife says--------------quit worrying so much about your lifting and just do more yard work(and)stop trying to make everyone bench press when they come to the house :roll: --------------------------------------- :D :lol: :mrgreen:
I tell her----shut your mouth women and know your role----------------------------OK,really I don't :oops:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:[
I tell her----shut your mouth women and know your role----------------------------OK,really I don't :oops:

I would do that in my house but i am afraid of getting my rear end kicked ----- my wife makes up for a lack of strength or technique with shock and awe ! :lol: :lol:

This is really too much information, but i have one of those Jacuzzi jet tubs in one of my bathrooms and after a long days work -- there is nothing better --- the shock & awe comes when she produces an ice cold 44 oz cup of water and rushes in and dumps it on me when i am in relax mode -- she has other ways of getting back at me too,
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:
madman4570 wrote:[

I would do that in my house but i am afraid of getting my rear end kicked ----- my wife makes up for a lack of strength or technique with shock and awe ! :lol: :lol:

This is really too much information, but i have one of those Jacuzzi jet tubs in one of my bathrooms and after a long days work -- there is nothing better --- the shock & awe comes when she produces an ice cold 44 oz cup of water and rushes in and dumps it on me when i am in relax mode -- she has other ways of getting back at me too,

:lol: :D :lol:

Gives new thought to the phrase as you are relaxing ---------------------- "honey would you like a drink" :wink:
Yep------------she's the boss (too)
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

It is all well and good that other people think that you need to put yourself through a combination of torture and deprevity to meet some self visualized physical goal.

Really...good on 'ya.

But keep this in mind. The average human being will gain an average of 2lbs per year between the ages of 40 and 60 with all things being equal. Another words, what you eat at forty, your level of physical activity, if they remain the same during that life span, will yeild on average a ~ 40lb difference.

My wife is always on me about my weight, and I make every excuse in the book to myself of why I have gone from a 34" waist at 40 to a 42" waist at 60. But, this makes me feel satisfied:

Two pounds...two inches thick, a small loaf of tuscany bread and I am all set for a snooze when done.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Portion control, a bit of gym work and a healthy lifestyle go a long way toward beating average.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote: Bottom line after about 2 hrs--------I got it and it is indeed rugged.
Heh, as inept as I am, double that time... :roll:
I am a tall guy------my bench grip even when I am all the way wide(out to those side racks)it is still a little under what I use(but I will guess I will get used to it)
Another thing-------I like my head(my eyes)further back from just under the bar------I like about another 6 inches back further----when I take bar off rack when bar is just directly above my eyes it feels I am too far forward and almost gives me the feeling like I am starting a triceps extension feeling????
I bet you hit the uprights on some of your reps then?

I'm a big fan of having a partner liftoff so I can slide down as far as possible away from the uprights. I have a huge strong partner and that is important. One, I get away from the uprights and two I can stay super tight when taking the bar instead of losing that important tightness when attempting to take it myself.
I measured the distance I am pushing the bar up when I bench(from chest to arm extension)even with a super wide grip-----17"vertical distance.
No kidding? I have a 23" vertical from chest to lockout with a close grip (16" between thumbs) and don't do a wide grip at all anymore since it is so hard on the shoulder joint and the reason why lifters usually drop the bench as they age. My huge partner, this is no joke, has a 12" bench stroke from chest to lockout. To say short would be an understatement :shock:
My favorite wrip width distance is 48" and this is with a 15" (chest to extension)vertical distance.
This bench I can only grip about 41" at widest(and that is pushing it not to bang hands against rails)???????????
Man, with a grip that wide, you had better be very careful. The widest competition grip allowed is 32" and that is usually with the index finger on the power ring of most bars. Something as wide as you go is opening the shoulder joint up for a lot of bad things to happen. I like putting my index finger right at the edge of the smooth/knurling which for 'most' bars is 15-17".

And yes, a narrow grip is much harder for people when they start. A regular wide(r) grip uses a lot of shoulders, chest and a little back, also a little tricep. A close grip uses probably 75% triceps, 15% back and the rest split between the chest and shoulders. You'll notice in lifting lots and lots of shoulder injuries, usually from a wide grip movement. But how often do you hear of a tricep injury? You don't but rarely. But switching from a wide grip with a short ROM compared to a close(r) grip with a much longer ROM necessarily forces you to use less weight until your tricep strength increases. The side effect? Big thick arms!

Also------I have to fess up about how I was benching with lighter weight specically that 202lbs---(was at a gym yesterday and a Pro lifter from Florida was there,we talked about various methods etc.)he watched me bench the 200lbs even(I did 37 reps)I have done 40 in past of 202lbs---------------------he said---------------nope, I am going them too fast-----------said you are not quite but getting close to bouncing bar off chest(not quite but close)he had me slow it down------------waited 20 minutes doing some stretches he showed me then I benched again----I went from 37 to 31 ??? He said actually I will probably make 40 reps by this method.Stating that holding your breath every 3 or 4 fast reps is only hurting my benching and possibly might tear a tendon or even crack a rib if I get too carried away.
So because of holding bar longer between each rep(thus, it tires me out guicker)
Now---when I go heavier(50lbs etc.)it automatically by nature of higher forces me to slow down.
That all sounds very normal. Two things happen when you start benching very quickly and that is the bar will start bouncing off your chest when you start to tire and also you will alligator arm some reps, ie, not go to full lockout. So by slowing down you are making each rep a good full rep, TUL is longer and you just tire more quickly.
How long do you pause between each rep say with 200lbs then 250lbs-----is it always the same time for you???????
I don't worry about a pause between reps. My criteria is to make each one full range and under control. My reps look exactly the same no matter if it is 135 or 425. The bar moves slower in the descent then the ascent. If I am doing 250x20 my breathing is much different than if I am doing 325x10 or 425x1. Everything under control but not super slow. Just smooth and controlled as possible.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:
madman4570 wrote: Bottom line after about 2 hrs--------I got it and it is indeed rugged.
Heh, as inept as I am, double that time... :roll:
I bet you hit the uprights on some of your reps then?

I'm a big fan of having a partner liftoff so I can slide down as far as possible away from the uprights. I have a huge strong partner and that is important. One, I get away from the uprights and two I can stay super tight when taking the bar instead of losing that important tightness when attempting to take it myself.
No kidding? I have a 23" vertical from chest to lockout with a close grip (16" between thumbs) and don't do a wide grip at all anymore since it is so hard on the shoulder joint and the reason why lifters usually drop the bench as they age. My huge partner, this is no joke, has a 12" bench stroke from chest to lockout. To say short would be an understatement :shock:
Man, with a grip that wide, you had better be very careful. The widest competition grip allowed is 32" and that is usually with the index finger on the power ring of most bars. Something as wide as you go is opening the shoulder joint up for a lot of bad things to happen. I like putting my index finger right at the edge of the smooth/knurling which for 'most' bars is 15-17".

And yes, a narrow grip is much harder for people when they start. A regular wide(r) grip uses a lot of shoulders, chest and a little back, also a little tricep. A close grip uses probably 75% triceps, 15% back and the rest split between the chest and shoulders. You'll notice in lifting lots and lots of shoulder injuries, usually from a wide grip movement. But how often do you hear of a tricep injury? You don't but rarely. But switching from a wide grip with a short ROM compared to a close(r) grip with a much longer ROM necessarily forces you to use less weight until your tricep strength increases. The side effect? Big thick arms!

That all sounds very normal. Two things happen when you start benching very quickly and that is the bar will start bouncing off your chest when you start to tire and also you will alligator arm some reps, ie, not go to full lockout. So by slowing down you are making each rep a good full rep, TUL is longer and you just tire more quickly.
I don't worry about a pause between reps. My criteria is to make each one full range and under control. My reps look exactly the same no matter if it is 135 or 425. The bar moves slower in the descent then the ascent. If I am doing 250x20 my breathing is much different than if I am doing 325x10 or 425x1. Everything under control but not super slow. Just smooth and controlled as possible.

2x22

Thanks 2X22 for the great insight on some tips and how you lift.

Without a doubt over the last several years my grip has widened some. Back in 2005 I was benching 240lbs(16reps) at a body weight of 210lbs. I mean I was in "very good shape" I was mountain biking(that is riding a Cannondale M700 with Kenda high pressure(120lbs)1.25" tires (125 miles "every week")no matter what the temp weather was. In fact doing it below zero(gave me some sinus issues that was why I stopped riding in the very cold etc.
It was a blacktop road(one way)along the river dedicated for bike riding-----(Greenway Trails I belive became involved with that long stretch---(used to be a 2 lane regular road-----prior to them taking over it!)
Anyhow-----then I was doing what I would call (benching)a medium grip(the width of my over kill weight cage forced me to go pretty narrow(about 36" grip)so doing this with (for me/that weight)I started having right elbow tendon issues.I stopped benching for 3 months and concentrated on even more biking------------------then I started having some issues with my crotch/and numbness in my palms :lol: :oops:
So I found the Spongy Wonder Seat for riding/and went to a different 2 stage handlebar/combined with special gel gloves and aerated type cork tape------which all fixed that-----------and a buddy at the gym talked me into going wider on bench to prevent elbow tendonitis.I went back to it-----------------and this is why my bench press has got wider and wider!

One thing----------------------my resting Heart Rate is around 62 now.When I was biking a lot(it was 40) Normally I did the 22mile ride in 1.5hrs-----pretty good!
Now its mountain hiking(well I call em mountains)

Anyhow decent I guess for a middle aged fellow------------------------but am really trying to get "hardcore"-------
but????????????? :lol: At least-------------still on target with the diet! :wink:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

My bikes-----Got

(2) 1994 CannonDale M700's(XL)-----------------w/ 1.25" Kenda 120psi Road Tires(Deore comps) light and extremely well built.
Mine look just like these below except Spongy Wonder Seats/fast road tires---------------------------probably the best "built" bike I have ever ridden! Scroll down the pics on EBAY, when you put fast road tires on these bikes-----------its cool to whiz past a lot of guys on their tiny road bikes. These M700's---------------------------sexy bikes---------------and huge light frame tubes---light bike---sexy!
Both mine are red----------------even my wife has one also------- black/metal flaked tiny colored specs----------- in small
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... rid=229466

also

-------------------(1) 2001 KHS Alite 2000(XL)--------------w/ 26X 1.3" Vittoria 110psi Road Tires (Deore comps)Spongy Wonder Seat
"like that bike so much-------bought extra set of brand new "full components set" in case anything every wears out! :lol:
God that bike is fast---used to do the 22mph ride in around an hour!
OMG love it, same as one below--------------

http://www.bikesonline.com/khs-alite-20 ... icycle.htm

also

-------------------(1) 2004 Fuji Silhouette (XL)-------------------------w/ 700x26c Kenda kontenders (Tiagra comps)--long rides---sweet bike.Spongy Wonder seat
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... X8at0rSfk8

also

-------------------(1) new in Box 2009 Motobecane Fly 9357 w/SID RACE(XL)-----------------w/26x1.95" Kenda Klimax (XT/XTR comps)
gonna open that sucker up and start riding this guy------(somewhere around 19lbs and that is with the XL frame) :shock: for a mtn bike! Gonna be my hill climber!
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... 357_09.htm
Box----------------even unopened! :lol: Hope everything is there and right! :roll: :oops:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

This is a seat!
Check out video on those seats--------------------- I own 5 of them!
Just look at how they are built and you tell me! (wife even uses one on Schwin Evolution Comp Trainer.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBg9QemOvFc
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Brooks Forever. Hard to fix a 110-year-old design that isn't broken.
My new project is building up a '98 Francesco Moser road frame.
I expect to use the other marque hammock leather saddle from the same maker, Selle Anatomica.
Last edited by bdhold on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okay got flounder , talapia and salmon to cook !

As well as unsalted almonds and walnuts !
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6pt-sika wrote:Okay got flounder , talapia and salmon to cook !

Cool man ---- my favorite way to cook salmon lately is in an electric smoker (i got one for Christmas that is about the size of a mini-fridge ) --

225 degrees for a while with some applewood chips makes me a hero around the house! But there are no heroics at all -- its the easiest cooking i've ever done :lol:

The cedar plank thing has gotten a lot of traction lately and thats alright, but some days the smoker is easier to deal with than the grill in Oklahoma where the wind is always at least 20 mph
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Streetstar wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Okay got flounder , talapia and salmon to cook !

Cool man ---- my favorite way to cook salmon lately is in an electric smoker (i got one for Christmas that is about the size of a mini-fridge ) --

225 degrees for a while with some applewood chips makes me a hero around the house! But there are no heroics at all -- its the easiest cooking i've ever done :lol:

The cedar plank thing has gotten a lot of traction lately and thats alright, but some days the smoker is easier to deal with than the grill in Oklahoma where the wind is always at least 20 mph
I cooked fresh salmon last week in canola oil with Weber Boston Seafood seasoning !

Bought a couple other seasonings to try this time . Smoker sounds okay also .

This week they had no fresh salmon so I settled for frozen in that and fresh in the other two !

I wish our crummy Food Cat would get some fresh tuna steak !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Did teriyaki flounder tonight ! Took two flounder filets and rinsed them off patted them dry and then rolled then around in some teriyaki sauce and let sit while the frying pan with canola oil heated up ! Cooked 4 minutes each side and served them with cole slaw and tater salad ! Actually tasted good ! Might do the tilapia this weekend !
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Stir fry for me. A giant pan of veggies and a couple pounds of elk steak diced up and then some stir fry stuff drizzled on. Spooned over a cup of brown rice and mmm..mmm..good! :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22-------------------

I finally got use to that bench-------------------it is good now!
Took a while for sure to find my sweet spot setup on it.
I have narrowed my grip to 30" (inside of grip) and found that having my nose directly under the bar(is the spot)
By this setup I just barely still use the head extension I fabricated and my head actually rests at the seam where the original bench ends and the extension starts.

One thing---(a big plus)-----I am pushing it to the max on reps--------I mean do a set----wait (3 minutes)and do another etc.
I am surprised------I have found even doing say 4 sets(until exhaustion)as long as I setup and take a least (1 minute rest) I can always do (1 more rep)------I tried this 6 times today after the 4 sets I did.

On the 4th set (going for 13 reps)I pushed it till I couldn't even make the lower 2nd rack and boy did that safety side racks work excellent.

I feel now(because of pushing it to the max/not worried about getting stuck)------much progress is in the future.
Measured my arms and they are 19" now(so we will see how much more size I get)???
Being 6'4" we will see???????????
Had a GOOD FEELING yesterday-----------
Because of sucking weight I am now able to fit in a (Carhart brand, Size XLT tee)
You know that song by Men at Work(Land Down Under)the part that goes------------He was six foot four and full of muscles :lol:
My wife says wearing that smaller black shirt I remind her of that part :D :mrgreen:
Maybe it should have been the (Your So Vain)----song ????????? :lol:

Love it------Life is good!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Carly Simon.
furnaceoven
Levergunner

Re

Post by furnaceoven »

Eating is the ingestion of food to provide for all organisms their nutritional or medicinal needs, particularly for energy and growth. Animals and other heterotrophs must eat in order to survive: carnivores eat other animals, herbivores eat plants, omnivores consume a mixture of both plant and animal matter, and detritivores eat detritus.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:2X22-------------------

I finally got use to that bench-------------------it is good now!
Took a while for sure to find my sweet spot setup on it.
I have narrowed my grip to 30" (inside of grip) and found that having my nose directly under the bar(is the spot)
Glad to hear that you like the bench. And that you brought your grip inward.

I am all about longevity when it comes to lifting. Like I always tell my students, I can help you with short term gains that will shorten your healthy lifting or I can show you how to lift for the rest of your life with the fewest injuries. Like my partner and I always say, we want to still be lifting when we are 90.

As long as the bar touches your nipples or below, your elbows are at a 45 degree angle to your torso with the bar on your chest and you don't flair them outward toward 90 degrees as you press upward, you are good to go for decades! :D

2x22
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This change in diet thing is nowhere near as less then palatable as I thought it was going to be !

Did the salmon and they were okay although I had no lemon juice at the time !

Did the flounder in teryaki sauce with mushrooms and it was rather tastey .

Did talapia in soy sauce also with mushrooms and it was pretty darned good .

Did some mahi mahi tonight in teryaki with mushrooms and that suff was da bomb as the brothers would say !

Been doing teryaki chicken my own version for a couple years now ! Lite teryaki sauce , carrots , mushrooms and water chestnuts . And I think that fits in okay here !

Also been doing a bit of barbecued chicken tenders with water chestnuts . Sweet Baby Rays Barbeque sauce probably doesn't meet the criteria but what the heck .

Haven't gone totally away from breakfast but instead of Frosted Flakes I now eat Rice Kripies with no sugar and skim milk . Skim milk is nothing new been drinking that stuff for 35 years or so .

Been doing the unsalted almonds and walnuts as well !

I still eat some hamburger and t bones . But not as often as before . Pork chops also get eaten maybe once a week and usually in Barbecue sauce .

Maybe not to the letter but I am certainly eating cleaner then I was 4 months ago !

I have actually lost my tatste for pizza I think or maybe I just don't care for Dominoe's anylonger !

My excercycle is progressing "slowly" LOL's ! But I will eventually get up to 10 miles a day I hope or atleast a timed amount . My odometer is broken but what do you expect we've had that thing for atleast 35 years !
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Really appreciate the good information on bench. I've always avoided benching heavy because starting with my first weightlifting class in college I saw shoulder injuries in guys who benched heavy. I've begun benching more lately but I use dumbell a and am very careful about warming up and range of motion. One of the things I've noticed is its really helping my triceps. I've always had decent arms but the tris are blowing up a bit.
11B30
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:This change in diet thing is nowhere near as less then palatable as I thought it was going to be !

Did the salmon and they were okay although I had no lemon juice at the time !

Did the flounder in teryaki sauce with mushrooms and it was rather tastey .

Did talapia in soy sauce also with mushrooms and it was pretty darned good .

Did some mahi mahi tonight in teryaki with mushrooms and that suff was da bomb as the brothers would say !

Been doing teryaki chicken my own version for a couple years now ! Lite teryaki sauce , carrots , mushrooms and water chestnuts . And I think that fits in okay here !

Also been doing a bit of barbecued chicken tenders with water chestnuts . Sweet Baby Rays Barbeque sauce probably doesn't meet the criteria but what the heck .

Haven't gone totally away from breakfast but instead of Frosted Flakes I now eat Rice Kripies with no sugar and skim milk . Skim milk is nothing new been drinking that stuff for 35 years or so .

Been doing the unsalted almonds and walnuts as well !

I still eat some hamburger and t bones . But not as often as before . Pork chops also get eaten maybe once a week and usually in Barbecue sauce .

Maybe not to the letter but I am certainly eating cleaner then I was 4 months ago !

I have actually lost my tatste for pizza I think or maybe I just don't care for Dominoe's anylonger !

My excercycle is progressing "slowly" LOL's ! But I will eventually get up to 10 miles a day I hope or atleast a timed amount . My odometer is broken but what do you expect we've had that thing for atleast 35 years !

:mrgreen: :D :wink:

AWESOME 6pt !!

Good job sore shoulder! :D
2X22 really knows his stuff, and he has helped me as well!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I guess white pizza is right out. :twisted:

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

bulldog1935 wrote:I guess white pizza is right out. :twisted:

]

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh............... Aaahhhhhhhhh -----------

It is close to lunchtime for me ! ---

Pizza is one of my dietary "Achilles heels" I guess ---- I love it. Favorite would be the big NY style pieces with the big floppy crust you fold in half to eat
--- Chicago Style deep dish --- ehhh not so much. Too much bread, but its delicious under the right circumstances

Even pizza can be made relatively clean though --- sometimes my wife will make me a pie with a gluten free crust , homemade tomato sauce, veggies from the garden etc. and measures out the mozzarella carefully ----
--- i'll take a big slice of Long Island pepperoni over the "clean" pizza anyday if I have a choice, but she wants to keep me around for another 40 years if possible, so I comply --- kinda like turkey bacon. If you directly compare it to real bacon, it falls far short, but if I compare to eating another bland bowl of oatmeal -- it gets better :D
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hang tough 6pt, Hang tough!
Don't give in! :D

I am having lettuce wraps with toppings of cottage cheese/turkey pepperoni/mandarin orange slices/----and in my mind----

It's exactly like what is shown above! :D :mrgreen:

and--------------glass of water/teaspoon baking soda/slice of lime===================Gin & Tonic! :wink:

Burp! :oops: