Eating

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Eating

Post by madman4570 »

This is a roll off of a discussion 6pt-sika and myself was having on topic----------------------which was----------------on-------------
Shiny new B-Day present that can handle the heavy loads

My response

You know what is crazy 6pt ??????

I sat down 2 weeks ago and for 3 days (ate my normal)but jogged down what I ate(kept it the usual)then after the 3 days for each of those days----(I did a tabulation of calorie count for each of those 3 days)----------------------ya know what I came up with????????

Day 1 -------------------------4614 calories
Day 2 -------------------------4715 calories
Day 3 -------------------------4910 calories

Wondered why the pants were getting tight and why a 2XLT shirt felt small

So-----I decided right then and there-------------------------I am going to (watch what I put in my mouth)

By doing this-----------------------what I now consume(calorie wise)-------------------2000 cals a day!

I have lost 7 lbs first week and so far in the second week(only 6 days with one to go)have lost 5lbs.

And you know what------------------------I am not starving either!

Example of what I eat-----------in a day now-------------------------

Morning------------(1) Nature Valley Carmel Nut Protein Bar---------------160 cals (2 cups coffee)
later----------------(3)Eggs w/ 2 small slices sharp cheese and peppers (Hot Sauce)--------- 310 cals (water w/lime)

Afternoon----------(1)8oz Tops brand Cherry Fruit in a Cup Yogart---------------210 cals
(24) Sea Salted Almonds--------------------------------------- 160cals
later----------------(1) Large Can----10oz----Great Value Chunk Chicken in Lemon Pepper Herb Sauce on Romaine Lettuce----225 cals
2 cups hot Green Tea

Dinner--------------(2) large grilled Laura Hill's Hamburgs(no bun)with Ketchup/mustard/onions/pickles----365 cals
(1) 1/2 Bag Great Value Steamed Brussel Sprouts----------------140 cals
Cup coffee and bottle of spring water w/ lime

Snack---------------(1)medium apple--------------------------------70 cals
later --------------------(4)celery sticks w/peanut butter-------------240-------cals
(2)---------Cinnamon Apple Rice Cakes---------140 -----cals
1 Cup hot Decaf green Tea

Total---------------------------2002 Cals

ps---------------------------------The wife said grocery bill--------------------is cheaper too!

Think this is a life style change for me---------------------------forever!
And-----------------------------Boy do I feel good!
Guys-----you can eat light and be FULL too!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Eating

Post by 2ndovc »

Sounds pretty good! Can't stand yogurt though. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Good job Madman. A few years ago I came to the realization that I could no longer engage in the physical activities I was accustomed to. Years of lacrosse, football, ice hockey, weight lifting (over-done) bull riding and heavy shooting made it impossible to continue most of my anaerobic excercises. I switched to running 1.5 miles every day and reduced my portions of food to less than 1/4 meat per plate with an abundance of beans, vegetables, etc. I did not monitor my weight throughout the year but at the end of the year I weighed 42 pounds less. I can breathe easier and have more short-term stamina but I often miss my strength advantage in various tasks. It is now 2 years later and I am slowly switching to more strength building activities within my limitations. There has to be a balance between cardio health and body weight and overall strength.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I took the General out shooting skeet this morning at my club .

And as a show of appreciattion he took me to the local French Resteraunt for lunch.

Now anyone that reads just about ANYTHING I post knows I have no love for the French .

But I gotta admit the chicken dish I ordered for lunch was pretty darned good !

Now it doesn't exactly fit my weight reduction food reduction plan but WTF you need to splurge occasionally !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

86er wrote:Good job Madman. A few years ago I came to the realization that I could no longer engage in the physical activities I was accustomed to. Years of lacrosse, football, ice hockey, weight lifting (over-done) bull riding and heavy shooting made it impossible to continue most of my anaerobic excercises. I switched to running 1.5 miles every day and reduced my portions of food to less than 1/4 meat per plate with an abundance of beans, vegetables, etc. I did not monitor my weight throughout the year but at the end of the year I weighed 42 pounds less. I can breathe easier and have more short-term stamina but I often miss my strength advantage in various tasks. It is now 2 years later and I am slowly switching to more strength building activities within my limitations. There has to be a balance between cardio health and body weight and overall strength.
Excellent job Joe! :mrgreen:

Ya, in the strength dept------I probably will drop some lifting poundage or at least amount of reps etc.???
But-------I am thinking(if that happens ------ya know--------its ok)
Figure that getting rid of all the fat in the gut area has got to be a healthy thing.

Though my BP runs around 120/70 ( according to MIL's hijacked deluxe BP monitor/and one at Walgreens etc. :D(don't do Doctors) but I still have very good wind,what I have noticed(since actually last summer)I got hotter easier.
Example------go to a Wedding reception(suit)where before if it was say 75 degrees I would be fine.Now I will sweat easier.
Same with hunting this last fall---------though I feel fine in the legs/lungs/heart rate etc. hiking the hills(good to go)it just plainly seems what I used to wear in the amount of clothing Dept. now I will sweat more ??? although I exhibit no other negative signs.??
Only difference from then to now----------------------is 35lbs of extra weight.
Though sure----some is more muscle----------------some is more fat too------ :lol:

I weigh when I started 2 weeks ago------------------------261lbs--@ (6' 4") and big boned---I know,everone says that one :oops:
We are going to try---------------------225lbs and go from there??????
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Bicycling @ 10 mph burns 100 calories/mi. A 30 mi ride bums 3000 calories.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Might have to look into that! :D

Down 10, 40 to go!

I turned 45 in November and was told by my Doc that I need to stop drinking&eating too much
and start acting my age! Whoa! BP too high? Not me, never happens.
Well it does and scared the S out of me.

Wish me luck boys!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Good on ya, Madman! In addition to trimming down, a reduced calorie diet has been shown to significantly increase your life span. Eat smaller and live longer. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

bulldog1935 wrote:Bicycling @ 10 mph burns 100 calories/mi. A 30 mi ride bums 3000 calories
Although biking is one of the best exercises ever, your numbers are WAY off on more than one count. first, a 200 pound man biking at 10 mph all burns around 50 calories per mile. Thus your 30 minute ride would burn only 250 calories, not the 3000 calories you show. 30 minutes at 10 mph is 5 miles. 5 miles at 50 calories per mile is 250 calories.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

All that countin' calories is too much aggravation. I'm on a "seafood diet"......I "see food and I eat it".

On another note, its easy to stay in shape but I do believe that a person's individual character make-up has a lot to do with it. I'm always on the go and have things to accomplish. I don't sit down until about an hour before bedtime. I think they call that "adult A.D.D." You don't have to do boring exercises if you stay busy.

When they say, "you are what you eat" really has a lot of truth to it. Its all about decisions and discipline. Stay away from junk food, greasy stuff, hoagies, cheese steaks, excessive sugar and when you load up your plate, don't heap it on. Take a visual on what you put on that looks normal.......eat it and go about your business............... I eat to live, not the other way around.

The rule of thumb is.....the better it tastes, the worse it is for you.

Cereal or eggs and fruit in the a.m. along with yogurt and more fruit mid morning. A normal sized lunch and dinner that's high in protein, a quart of water or other normal drink...........then go to bed. Beans are an excellent source of protein and have no fat,...............and..................the results of beans are fun to share with your buddies, whether in a car, tent, or just cruisin' the gunshow aisles. :D -------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

K1500 wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:Bicycling @ 10 mph burns 100 calories/mi. A 30 mi ride bums 3000 calories
Although biking is one of the best exercises ever, your numbers are WAY off on more than one count. first, a 200 pound man biking at 10 mph all burns around 50 calories per mile. Thus your 30 minute ride would burn only 250 calories, not the 3000 calories you show. 30 minutes at 10 mph is 5 miles. 5 miles at 50 calories per mile is 250 calories.

he meant 30 miles, not 30 minutes
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Funny you should mention that MAdman, one of my coaches has me on a 2 week "carb purge" of sorts (link below) and it is not that much different from what your doing , except for the granola and a couple of other things ---
He doesn't call it a carb purge, because there is plenty of fresh fruit recommended, -- but i do, as all the pulp from a piece of whole fruit gives me digestive issues -- i had formerly been putting them in a juicer -- but i am staying away for 2 weeks

I think it is an intro to the "Paleo" or caveman eating style --- which is mostly greens and meat , but i could be wrong.
Its quite a switch from the diets that were advocated 25 years ago for my sporting endeavors, which would have you eating heaping plates of pasta and things like that to carb-load before an event

http://www.coachrobb.com/coach-robb-cle ... lenge.html

Eating clean has been easy -- tough part for me is always scaling back the beer consmption though -- one can equals a hamburger bun (and i dont know very many people in my circle who just drink one can or bottle at a sitting)
Last edited by Streetstar on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:
I sat down 2 weeks ago and for 3 days (ate my normal)but jogged down what I ate(kept it the usual)then after the 3 days for each of those days----(I did a tabulation of calorie count for each of those 3 days)----------------------ya know what I came up with????????

So-----I decided right then and there-------------------------I am going to (watch what I put in my mouth)

By doing this-----------------------what I now consume(calorie wise)-------------------2000 cals a day!

I have lost 7 lbs first week and so far in the second week(only 6 days with one to go)have lost 5lbs.

Morning------------(1) Nature Valley Carmel Nut Protein Bar---------------160 cals (2 cups coffee)
later----------------(3)Eggs w/ 2 small slices sharp cheese and peppers (Hot Sauce)--------- 310 cals (water w/lime)

Afternoon----------(1)8oz Tops brand Cherry Fruit in a Cup Yogart---------------210 cals
later----------------(1) Large Can----10oz----Great Value Chunk Chicken in Lemon Pepper Herb Sauce on Romaine Lettuce----225 cals
2 cups hot Green Tea

Dinner--------------(2) large grilled Laura Hill's Hamburgs(no bun)with Ketchup/mustard/onions/pickles----365 cals

later --------------------(4)celery sticks w/peanut butter-------------240-------cals

ps---------------------------------The wife said grocery bill--------------------is cheaper too!

Interesting, MM!

Two years ago this month I was diagnosed with a liver disease. To help combat it, I found that the Caveman diet was 'nearly' perfect. The neat thing about this diet is that I can basically eat all I want as often as I can stand and still not gain anything.

And best of all? It didn't affect my bench press strength at all! Speak of which, how is your bench press coming along?
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

K1500 wrote:
I stated 30 miles, and my numbers are good working targets that came right off the heart rate monitor. (OK, 31 mi. was actually 2800 calories - 90 calories/mi.).
I make a 25 to 35 mile ride every week and average 11 to 17 mph.
It's the same calorie effect as fasting for a day, but a good 2-hour ride will keep your metabolism up for the whole week.
Not claiming to be lean and racy, but KMA if you can catch it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote: Interesting, MM!

Two years ago this month I was diagnosed with a liver disease. To help combat it, I found that the Caveman diet was 'nearly' perfect. The neat thing about this diet is that I can basically eat all I want as often as I can stand and still not gain anything.

And best of all? It didn't affect my bench press strength at all! Speak of which, how is your bench press coming along?

I am doing ok 2x22---Thanks Brother!

I stopped doing those HIGH REP sets of 202lbs-------Started giving me some Carpal Tunnel issues in left hand(3 fingers tingling ??)
So I switched to heavier weight(many less reps)also stopped carrying my shotgun around the woods every day(left hand)now use a sling or carry my Kel-Tec 2000 tactical style.

Now, I use 247lbs on the bench and (usually get done)1st set----15 reps 2nd set-----12 reps 3rd set 10 reps and if I am feeling extra perky hit last set(usually only get around 7 or 8 reps)
I take extra long breaks between sets-----(used to be 5 mins now 15mins)seems with the heavier weight---I need extra time???????

My warmup is just 10 elevated pushups against stairs 5 mins prior to first set.

Guess for my age-----its decent ???-------though my BIL says ---------"its just OK because you are such a big dude" :oops: :lol:

ps------------------------my wife is tougher than me! :D :wink:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:
Guess for my age-----its decent ???-------though my BIL says ---------"its just OK because you are such a big dude" :oops: :lol:

:

Hopefully he was just razzin you a bit and not being serious ---- i know plenty of "big dudes" who couldnt press their way out of a large paper sack
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

One of you mentioned "The Caveman Diet" .

I googled it and it sounds a bit intresting to say the least .

How good do you find it ?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Streetstar wrote:
madman4570 wrote:

:

Hopefully he was just razzin you a bit and not being serious ---- i know plenty of "big dudes" who couldnt press their way out of a large paper sack

6pt---------------Streetstar can help you on that one------

Doug,
No he is not kidding me.(but that is ok)he is family and I know how he is.
You know some of those guys that served back in Nam that still are absolute crazy dedicated to being fit???---he is one.
This dude is 64----(he still has his black hair and OMG is the dude fit)ladies go ga ga over him too. :lol:

He was a Army Ranger(tunnel rat)over there but seldom talks about it.
He is 5'8" weighs 148lbs and STILL can do 100 pullups :lol: :oops:
His (once a week)treat to eat(junk food)is EVERY Tuesday night he has a bag of popped corn.(that is his junk food) :shock:
No doubt---------He is in so much better shape than me----lets not even go there.
But-------just pure strength----like arm wrestling/heavy lifting/hitting a bag--------I can (whip his hide)
In fact arm wrestling---I tell him(you can use both hands,cause you are going down or I am breaking your arms) :lol:

The Dude(still)takes a (28" waist student jean)and then his wife says thet are too big!--------He looks(honest to God)about 45

Now----------------what is with these Army Ranger(Nam)Dudes??????????? (I think they are made out of steel)???
My 1st cousin was one over there in 1968 and his is more the Rambo type(the stongest man I have ever known)not human,still unreal.
I will never forget----back when I was in High School (you know the type)I thought I was hot stuff(did the HS sports)belonged to the weight lifting club/Rifle Club/was deeply enrolled in Martial Arts etc.

Anyhow---------Anyone that I could talk into it----(wanted to arm wrestle em)-----and honestly---I excel at it still.
So, my cousin stopped over,he had been out of the Service for about 6 months(he served two tours)
We are at the kitchen table----and I am going on and on about my Martial Arts deal---- :lol: :oops: ya,I know inmature.

I keep bugging him about arm wrestling(now when he left HS and went into the service)he was like 5'10"(170lbs)he was a stellar athlete------------I mean he ran the 100yd in 10sec flat and long jumped over 22ft etc. When he came home after second tour(OMG)
he was 6'1" and weighed about 210 lbs and could do an iron cross on the rings in his barn.

So, I bug him,slap his shoulder,say your a ***** punk :lol: Say---you ain't so tough-----etc.
He looks at my dad,then says OK-------------let's see--------------------------

We hook up--------I say on 3 we go--------------I start counting-------One----Two-----and as I just begin to start to say the (THA)part of three-------------WHAM--------------he SLAMS my hand/arm everthing else down like I was hit by a tractor trailer.

I stutter----hey, that ain't fair--------you jumped the gun-------------lets go again-----------------

He gave me this look------this look-------like(death)-------and he said------------------There ain't no second chances BOY!

I knew right then and there--------------------------I ain't as big and bad--------------------as I think in my own mind!

Back in the 1980's at this Bar in Ithaca NY(The North Forty)-------Bar is closing------they got these huge bouncers(I mean all like "The Rock" they yell hey its closing time,let's go------------the people as they are leaving getting closer to the door(these bouncers are kinda grabbing their arms kinda like in a belittling manner so to speak------------------Cousin looks over(with that look)and says------if either of them grab me like that--------------------------(I'm going to hurt em) :shock: :oops:

That is the difference between a Martial Arts(young boy) and the real deal(bad dude)-------------------I ain't ever messing with him------------and that taught me if him----------------------could be someone else???????????????? Hardcore Dude,Hardcore!
Kinda made me think----the martial arts is good stuff----------------------------BUT ?????????????
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

6pt-sika wrote:One of you mentioned "The Caveman Diet" .

Not good, fantastic. For ME, it is the difference between life and death. I have stage 3 NASH. Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis. For me its genetic but the basic way of controlling it is through diet. The Caveman diet is basically identical to what Docs recommend.

I cannot say enough good about it.

Madman, sounds like you are doing very nicely with your bench! I'm glad to hear it but sorry to hear about the finger numbness. If it is the thumb, index and middle finger, maybe even a tiny bit of your ring finger, that is something I ran across a few years ago. Turns out it was a jammed wrist and a trip or two to my Chiropractor where he found everything jammed up, cured my problem. I had to do something, that was my shootin' hand!

I understand that 'big dude' comment. Just the other day my lifting partner and I were up in Seattle looking for a particular piece of equipment to buy and were talking with a lot of gyms, their owners and also some lifters. All mentioned how they saw how a couple 'big dudes' would need something like that, but little guys like them didn't :shock: I told my wife the story and she was like "well, they are right". My response was probably the same as everyone else, I see myself as I graduated from HS, a 5'11" 145lb kid. I don't see myself as a 5'11 245lb powerlifter....... :o

Before I forget, I should mention I got my butt kicked by a durned gurl in the weight room. I didn't realize she was a world class powerlifter and took her up on her challenge when I mentioned everyone serious about lifting should at some point be able to bench their BW for 20 reps. No one would believe me until she stepped up and said "I'll take you on'! Well, she did and she did! She got 29 reps with her BW of 155. A GURL did that! I got 28 reps with 247lbs and had to eat crow. I swear she had more in her but all she needed was that 29th rep and it was as easy as her first rep........ :cry: :cry:

Now THAT'S what I call a butt kickin'! :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

K1500 wrote:
Your numbers don't take into account elevation or grades. Come do a 30 minute ride with me that starts at 9000 feet and has a total elevation increase of 1000ft. I promise you will burn more than 250 calories. Then I'll take you on a 40 mile ride that has a total increase of 5000ft, and goes over 11,000ft, if you think you can make it. It burns over 2000 calories.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

madman4570 wrote:This is a roll off of a discussion 6pt-sika and myself was having on topic----------------------which was----------------on-------------
Shiny new B-Day present that can handle the heavy loads

My response

You know what is crazy 6pt ??????

2 cups hot Green Tea

Nice work Madman. I've gotten a number of people who were struggling with weight onto calorie counting. There are several good apps. As long as you are honest with it, it works very well. My wife was complaining a few years back and I tried to very tactfully (of course that failed lol) to point out a couple things she was doing that were problems. When she started using the calorie counter app I was vindicated.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:

Not good, fantastic. For ME, it is the difference between life and death. I have stage 3 NASH. Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis. For me its genetic but the basic way of controlling it is through diet. The Caveman diet is basically identical to what Docs recommend.

Madman, sounds like you are doing very nicely with your bench! I'm glad to hear it but sorry to hear about the finger numbness. If it is the thumb, index and middle finger, maybe even a tiny bit of your ring finger, that is something I ran across a few years ago. Turns out it was a jammed wrist and a trip or two to my Chiropractor where he found everything jammed up, cured my problem. I had to do something, that was my shootin' hand!

I understand that 'big dude' comment. Just the other day my lifting partner and I were up in Seattle looking for a particular piece of equipment to buy and were talking with a lot of gyms, their owners and also some lifters. All mentioned how they saw how a couple 'big dudes' would need something like that, but little guys like them didn't :shock: I told my wife the story and she was like "well, they are right". My response was probably the same as everyone else, I see myself as I graduated from HS, a 5'11" 145lb kid. I don't see myself as a 5'11 245lb powerlifter....... :o

Before I forget, I should mention I got my butt kicked by a durned gurl in the weight room. I didn't realize she was a world class powerlifter and took her up on her challenge when I mentioned everyone serious about lifting should at some point be able to bench their BW for 20 reps. No one would believe me until she stepped up and said "I'll take you on'! Well, she did and she did! She got 29 reps with her BW of 155. A GURL did that! I got 28 reps with 247lbs and had to eat crow. I swear she had more in her but all she needed was that 29th rep and it was as easy as her first rep........ :cry: :cry:

Now THAT'S what I call a butt kickin'! :mrgreen:

Wow-----That girl------------------ :shock:
And you 2x22----------------------------------28 reps @ 247lbs

I will never get there(unless God wants it)-----I noticed a Huge difference in rep count for me with the additional 45lbs.
Just feels so much heavier--------Honestly, I am just trying (least right now)sucking weight to keep getting at least 15reps.
At my age----------------------to get 13 more :shock: -----------------------------------Ah---------------ain't taking that bet.
but will do what I can!

Thanks soreshoulder for the encouragement and also your good info.
Thanks to all you guys-------------------------you give me some extra juice----------------- :wink:

ps----my new bench was delivered here about 4hrs ago,and all I can say is OMG---------OVERKILL(beyond belief)but that is a good thing! Just don't see how they can make it for the cost ??
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote: At my age----------------------to get 13 more :shock: -----------------------------------Ah---------------ain't taking that bet.
but will do what I can!

ps----my new bench was delivered here about 4hrs ago,and all I can say is OMG---------OVERKILL(beyond belief)but that is a good thing! Just don't see how they can make it for the cost ??
YOUR age? I think we are about the same, I'm 54! :shock:

What kind of bench? I can't remember what kind ours is, but I've been putting in my $.02 for a different one. My partner has really short legs, I need a taller bench. Maybe I'll just put a new one up at my house instead of down at his place where our gym is.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2X22 wrote:

So if I follow the 3 stage program and do excercise IE regular pushups , situps and riding an excercycle , Should I be able to attain my goal of loosing weight over a long period of time ?

I lost 30 pounds last year by curbing my diet !

If I try this thing and add a legitimate excercise program should I expect to get the same results in a year ?

My desire is to drop another 30 pounds this year and hopefully another 20-30 the year after that .

When I got outta school I was 5'10" and 155 when I was 20 I was married still 5'10" and 190 . After we seperatted I got into a big time excercise program of situps pushups and excercycle and dropped 40 pounds in about 2 months and kept it off for the most part until I was 40 or so . I eased up to a max of 250 a year or two ago and am now at 220 . So if I can trim 30 this year that'll get me to 190 and the following year if I could get another 20-30 that would get me below 170 . I think I could live with that !

Only thing I'm not kicking dairey outta my intake ! I gotta have cheese and milk !
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

When I first went in 100% on the diet, and make no mistake, this diet is not a diet it is a way of life, my problem (as a powerlifter) was losing too much weight. I initially lost 19lbs in 13 days and my strength was literally melting away with the weight, though realistically I didn't lose that much strength. When you are cycling in powerlifting a 5lb gain in strength can sometimes take a year and if you lose 20lbs of strength in a single lift, well, no matter if you are benching 400 and squatting 500, you feel like a little gurl can whip your butt.... :lol:

Anyway, my BW finally stabilized down around 35lbs lighter over about 6 months and rarely varies more than a single pound in a week. I see no problem for you to lose 30lbs and stay that way if you are relatively strict on your diet and also get in the necessary exercise. The same amount of exercise we all should be performing weekly... :mrgreen: Humans weren't designed to sit around all day with little exercise. So yes, I believe you can attain your goal fairly easily, 6pt-sika.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

6pt-sika wrote:[
So if I follow the 3 stage program and do excercise IE regular pushups , situps and riding an excercycle , Should I be able to attain my goal of loosing weight over a long period of time ?

I lost 30 pounds last year by curbing my diet !

If I try this thing and add a legitimate excercise program should I expect to get the same results in a year ?

My desire is to drop another 30 pounds this year and hopefully another 20-30 the year after that .

-------------

Only thing I'm not kicking dairey outta my intake ! I gotta have cheese and milk !

You should be able to hit that --- but the results start slowing down the closer you get to your goal weight and you have to up the exercise intensity for the last 10-15 pounds. But keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, which also contributes to weight loss sometimes being slower even though you are tightening up and leaning out, and even if your muscles are not getting bigger externally

emeals.com has a paleo plan you can try for 3 months and see if it works for you

as well, the 2 week plan i posted a link to earlier is designed to see if you are carb intolerant and advocates eating all the cheese you want , :lol: but high meal frequency is almost a guarantee that you will cut off a small 1/2 oz. serving at a time, rather than eating a whole wheel of cheese after a while-- where cheese can really get ya is when you melt it down and use it in recipes --- you can get 3 times as much in a side of mac n cheese as you would just putting a slice or 2 on a sandwich

carbs are not really the biggest enemy though , portion control in the american diet is for most people . Sure, a lot of Asian communities eat a lot of rice without too many negative effects --- but they may eat a rice ball, or a small cup of rice at a time with some fish , but Americans by contrast have a tendnecy to have a heaping platter of rice topped with a pound of grilled chicken (yum :D ) -- even dinner plate sizes have gone up over the last 50 years. a 9" plate used to be standard, now it is a 12" plate
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

2X22 wrote:What kind of bench? I can't remember what kind ours is, but I've been putting in my $.02 for a different one. My partner has really short legs, I need a taller bench. Maybe I'll just put a new one up at my house instead of down at his place where our gym is.
Valor Fitness BF-48(with spotter racks/stand)
Video don't do it justice 2x22 it is an absolute beast.
Just the diamond plate on the small spotter stand area I bet weighs about 20lbs??? (like what's on a fire truck that type thickness floor plate)
The tubing and racks---------------------------OMG--------------overkill

Bench weighs aprox.-----------------------------------140lbs :shock:

$375 shipped from factory------and I don't see how???????????? (they can make a dime)?
That's for everything shown!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEeOZG2IKEo
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

sore shoulder wrote:Your numbers don't take into account elevation or grades. Come do a 30 minute ride with me that starts at 9000 feet and has a total elevation increase of 1000ft. I promise you will burn more than 250 calories. Then I'll take you on a 40 mile ride that has a total increase of 5000ft, and goes over 11,000ft, if you think you can make it. It burns over 2000 calories.
Of course on our 2800-calorie 31-mi ride, net elevation was zero, but our total climb was 1700'
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

bulldog1935 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:Your numbers don't take into account elevation or grades. Come do a 30 minute ride with me that starts at 9000 feet and has a total elevation increase of 1000ft. I promise you will burn more than 250 calories. Then I'll take you on a 40 mile ride that has a total increase of 5000ft, and goes over 11,000ft, if you think you can make it. It burns over 2000 calories.
Of course on our 2800-calorie 31-mi ride, net elevation was zero, but our total climb was 1700'

I just looked up the logs from my last ride from last fall, I use LogYourRun app. Starting elevation, 9000ft. Total ascent, 3575ft. Average speed, 12.37 mph. 38.7 miles. 3hrs 7 min. Cal/hr were 823. The difference just in starting elevation from your sea level is night and day. Even people that train at Denver elevation come up here and choke. I'm thinking your calories burned is off, by a lot.
11B30
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

sore shoulder wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:

I just looked up the logs from my last ride from last fall, I use LogYourRun app. Starting elevation, 9000ft. Total ascent, 3575ft. Average speed, 12.37 mph. 38.7 miles. 3hrs 7 min. Cal/hr were 823. The difference just in starting elevation from your sea level is night and day. Even people that train at Denver elevation come up here and choke. I'm thinking your calories burned is off, by a lot.

I did a mountain bike race in Vail in 2001 , do you know what the elevation is there? (sadly its been a while since i've been that way and i truly dont remember )
----- Doug
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Depends where you were, valley floor is 8,000 but if you were up on the mtn it could be 10,000 lol. Vail is nice in the Summer. I like to ride Vail Pass, its a buttkicker.
11B30
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

sore shoulder wrote:
K1500 wrote:
Your numbers don't take into account elevation or grades. Come do a 30 minute ride with me that starts at 9000 feet and has a total elevation increase of 1000ft. I promise you will burn more than 250 calories. Then I'll take you on a 40 mile ride that has a total increase of 5000ft, and goes over 11,000ft, if you think you can make it. It burns over 2000 calories.
Yep, pace and grade make a difference for sure. Elevation does not (see link), but it sure feels like it does.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/en ... udes-.html
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

madman4570 wrote:
2X22 wrote:What kind of bench? I can't remember what kind ours is, but I've been putting in my $.02 for a different one. My partner has really short legs, I need a taller bench. Maybe I'll just put a new one up at my house instead of down at his place where our gym is.
Valor Fitness BF-48(with spotter racks/stand)
Video don't do it justice 2x22 it is an absolute beast.
Just the diamond plate on the small spotter stand area I bet weighs about 20lbs??? (like what's on a fire truck that type thickness floor plate)
The tubing and racks---------------------------OMG--------------overkill

Bench weighs aprox.-----------------------------------140lbs :shock:

$375 shipped from factory------and I don't see how???????????? (they can make a dime)?
That's for everything shown!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEeOZG2IKEo
Excellent! I think I may get one too. That is just perfect for up here at my place!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've actually read that, and I'm inclined to disagree with it. Seems to me if your bresthing harder to get more oxygen and your heart is pumping faster to get that oxygen to your muscles, you're burning more calories. I need to do some research on that.
11B30
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

the point was actually qualitative and the effect is to increase one's metabolism
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

...chances are you don't burn that many more calories in Denver than you would in San Francisco.

I would hardly consider that qualitative. The Dr speaks of vagaries then makes that statement. Also, Denver is not high altitude. It's only 5000ft. Try 9000 feet. The difference between 5000 and 9000 is a much bigger change.
11B30
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

another data point. Just rode 25 miles, at 15 mph, 400' climb and burned 1500 calories. Also determined my buddy's gps can cut corners on distance and speed by 10% or more - this was with a 7 knot wind. So the 2800 calorie ride, 1700' climb could have been 34 miles at 12 mph, and we had 18 knot wind that day. Both of us are 6'3" and 220. But I earned my beer.
Last edited by bdhold on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

What calorie calculator are you using?
11B30
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

bulldog1935 wrote: Image
Bulldog, it appears we both like classic equipment, i really dig your setup with the moustache bars and Carradice bag (looks like a carradice at least) --- dont mean to continue a moderate thread drift, but i pulled this out of my mother's attic a few weeks ago and cleaned it up. I abandoned it when i rode my first STI equipped bike in '89 or '90 and never really looked back until now--- this old Ciocc is in great shape but is too low and long for my current back flexibility , so i have been toying with the idea of trying the mustache bars as well (along with a couple other period correct mods for comfort)

You are burning far more calories to go the same speed at 6'3 and 220 than someone who is 5'9 and 160 as well, -- but can't really say specifically how many and for how long

----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

my buddy's heart rate monitor, and I'm usually chasing him, since he's constantly reading his monitor and adjusting his work rate to his target pulse.

Gorgeous bike. Italian frames are all-business.
I recently bought '90 Francesco Moser frame and am building it up for my brewpub racer.
I have my moustache cockpit on the '76 Raleigh so perfectly dialed in, I'm going again to use a tall quill, the compact drop short reach Cinelli bars, and come as close as I can to duplicating the reach and drop on the top hood position in my new cockpit. (This was my college bike - I've just swapped parts over the years).

I can strongly recommend an upright rebuild. Nitto Technomic (50 or 70 mm) stem with the moustache bar, and zero-offset seatpost like a Thompson (which you may not need on that short top tube).
Nice thing about moustache bars as opposed to boscos or bullmoose is they let you use your road brake levers.

The bag is an Acorn tall rando bag on a Nitto mini front rack and Bertoud decalleur attached to the stem.
It's monstrous at 11 liters, but it's crazy useful - below the 6 liters of pastries from Sweetish Hill bakery in the upper photo are a spare tire, poncho, seat cover and cable lock - and a ball cap. Keeping this on target, it's OK to eat pastries and drink beer (not as the same time) if you exercise.
This morning we started off at 50 degrees and humid (after most of a month already at 80-90 degrees), and I was wearing knee socks and long-sleeve base layer below a t-shirt. At our halfway stop, I "changed clothes" out of my mobile chifferobe.
but all that weight up front only works because of the long-trail fork on my Raleigh. You wouldn't want that kind of weight up front on your aggressive short-trail forks - it would get very twitchy.

here is how my buddy dialed in his '85 Mercian with an upward rake on the moustache and reversed position on ergo brake levers - he switched left and right, they matched the bar bend perfectly, and gave him two braking hand positions on the bars.
his bags are leather Zimbale.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

bulldog1935 wrote: , it's OK to eat pastries and drink beer (not as the same time) if you exercise.

I'll go for some of that! --- if my diet allows, i may have to hit the Sweetish Hill bakery up in a few weeks ------ i mentioned once in a PM, (or maybe a full thread i forget) how my insurance adjusting company is based out of Boerne --- its a neat place = my only gripe is that its slowly but surely merging into being a San Antonio suburb as the sprawl makes its way west -- but i try to stay at Tapatio to avoid that (still haven't been able to dedicate any flyfishing except for a few unproductive hours in Cibolo creek one day)

---- check on the Technomic stem ! I have one in 90cm for that bike (its wearing a 120 Cinelli now) -- i also want to get some shallow drop bars but i was under the impression that Cinelli's were 26.6 stem diameter, while the Nitto stuff is 26.0 (i have an old Bridgestone MTB i have in mind for a mustache bar conversion -- complete with pannier tabs :) :) )

Biggest deal is speccing out some "age appropriate" gears without putting some modern stuff on -- its wearing a 53/42 with a 13-21 , common back then if your racing. Now i am crying out for a 50/34 and a 12/28 like my later model 10 speed has :lol: - Campy didnt make compact cranksets back then :lol: and its hard to put either Japanes stuff, or later Campy on a bike with an undisturbed grouppo. Alas, these are 1st world problems --
----- Doug
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

You would probably have better luck going to the older style road triple. I have an 80's Cannondale with Suntour components and a triple front chainring that works very well. Converting to a compact double would probably be impossible.
11B30
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have recently started cutting the junk food out. I have lost 2 pounds in 10 days without doing anything extra. I have been walking a couple of miles 3 evenings a week for a while. Much more than that is painful due to having a job where I stand in one spot for 8 to 14 hours a day without a break. That will kill your feet and knees. When It starts staying light late enough into the evening, I will start riding the mountain bike again. My weight is 230 pounds right now. I need to lose about 30 more. I graduated High School at 145 pounds and was way, way too skinny. Peak condition was in the Army and at 210 pounds. At that stage, I could run 4 miles in 28 minutes in formation while calling cadence 5 days a week (we all did), do 120 pushups in the 2 minutes allotted in the PFT test, and 70 situps in the 2 minutes. The 2 mile run was only 12 minutes 25 seconds at my best. I felt slow at that pace since we had guys do it in 9 minutes and some seconds. For fun in the evening we hit the gym since it was all that was available on the post I was at. Camp Greaves had a movie theater that was open once a month, no bar except the Officers Club, and only the Katusa Snack Bar for food outside of chow hall times. I never got above 400 pounds max on the bench press, and that was not even close to what the guys who had been athletes in High School could do. Having worked an average of 6 days a week for the last 18 years and an average of 10 hours per day at a job where you stand in one spot the entire time has really changed things. If my profession would all stick together and demand lunch breaks so that we could eat something healthy instead of just a bag of chips or box of crackers, it would help us all. If I had it all to do over again, I would take the easy way out and not be in this Profession. 200 College Credit hours just to get the Bachelor's degree in this job and a requirement of 4.0 GPA to apply for it is not really worth it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Doug, the bakery in Boerne is Bear Moon, and two blocks away is Riverside Market with the best smoked dried sausage in Texas.

Sweetish Hill is in Austin on w. 6th street, 5 blocks from Huts Hamburgers - Huts onion rings are a food group.
During spring break, my daughter and I hauled our bikes to Austin one day to ride and eat.

What I discovered with my alpine gears (42/52) and a 5-speed freewheel was that the gear overlaps gave me only 6 effective gears, making for cliff-step gaps with a 13/28 5-speed rear, and nearly impossible to dial in a gear that will cruise with a newer bike with even a 7-speed cassette. So I swapped chainrings on my vintage 144bcd Grand Sport clone (Sugino) to 41/46 and this gave me perfect half-steps. Later, I found a great snipe on a TA Cyclotouriste on ebay already with my half-steps plus escape 47-42-26. Also upgraded to a Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel, 13/27. Now I have 14 effective gears from 26 to 98 gear-inches (In 18 gears, there is only one overlap, and the three smallest rears don't work with the escape - I think I could remove one chain link and engage one more).
Note also that a triple requires a long-reach ("fast rise") rear derailleur, just to take up the chain length - this would put one more of your gruppo into the parts box. You could just try swapping out your big chainring for a 48- or 47-tooth. Your gruppo rear derailleur should work fine with a 13/28 rear.
With half-steps on my grand sport crank (41/46 chainrings) and 13/27 6-speed in the rear, this would let me do 98% of the riding I would ever want to do.
If you're going to do explore gear changes, you should use a good gear calculator to see where you are going to end up, and pick ratios (gear-inches) that will give you the most versatility.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Yesterday, on the creek bottom ride, 25 miles and 400' climb, I spent the entire ride on the 17-tooth rear, and only shifted my half-steps up front - I love it, and it works wonderfully smooth with a good 2-speed road front derailleur.
Don't need the escape gear that often, but it's wonderful to have. Previous weekend, my daughter and I rode Medina natural area with 3 sets of 9-degree switchbacks on the river bluffs - escape gear was necessary for that.

Suntour is back and they're coming out with a clone of the stronglight/ta cyclotouriste triple
https://stan-pun.squarespace.com/cranks/

Back to the Moser project. I haven't done the bars yet, but my buddy handed me the Cinelli bars yesterday. If they won't work, here is my back-up, a nice compact set from Deda. http://www.dedaelementi.com/index.php?p ... 90&lang=en
and here's a very good bar guide
http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-d ... -geometry/

piller, shoes are everything for walking (even for riding). Feet are so crazy different. Mine happen to be ice-skates with high arches. The most comfortable shoes I've ever worn are Merrells, and I always have a pair of sandals and closed-toes. Great for walking, hiking, and the bottoms grip platform pedals almost as good as cleats. A close second is Keen.
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:21 am, edited 9 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

This whole thread makes my head hurt. Must be lack of food... think I'll go get some pancakes. Let the belt out a notch and enjoy! :P :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

or you could try the bar guide
http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-d ... -geometry/
sorry, wrong guide
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

bulldog1935 wrote:

Note also that a triple requires a long-reach ("fast rise") rear derailleur, just to take up the chain length - this would put one more of your gruppo into the parts box. You could just try swapping out your big chainring for a 48- or 47-tooth. Your gruppo rear derailleur should work fine with a 13/28 rear.

Suntour is back and they're coming out with a clone of the stronglight/ta cyclotouriste triple
https://stan-pun.squarespace.com/cranks/

Like the bar guide -- a shallower bend with compact drop would probably be a bit more comfy for sure.

I very rarely use the big ring anymore --- i found a 39T little ring in my parts box for the crank, but i may do some ebay searching for one of the old Campy mountain bike triples from the same era as the frame . I might use the big ring more if it was a 44 or 46T MTB crank
Campy didnt seriously get into the road triple market until the late 90's , maybe more recent than that ---- guess they figured back then if you were shopping for Campy, you probably didnt need a triple :lol: -- that plus a 13 or 14/28 freewheel like you mentioned would have that bike back into the swing of things for me-- A Stronglight crank would not look out of place on there at all either though

The nice thing about a '90 era Moser is you can go either way with the build, -- it would look entirely appropriate with a nice friction setup, -- or a full late model STI type setup would also be nice on it -- the sky's the limit
----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Doug,
Your crank looks like 135 bcd.
You should no problem getting a 44T outer chainring, either Campy, Stronglight or TA.
If all else fails, you can buy it in the UK
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bbb-roadgear ... 4b9ee84fce
SJS is a good company - they will subtract 17% VAT, and shipping to US is about $15.
Last edited by bdhold on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

bulldog1935 wrote:Doug,
Your crank looks like 135 bcd.
You should no problem getting a 44T outer chainring, either Campy, Stronglight or TA.

I know, but for me the biggest issue is the 39T little ring :lol:
----- Doug
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

no, that's just it, the 5-tooth difference is probably a perfect half-step.
a 28-t rear with a 39-t front is a 37" gear, and that's granny-enough for all except extreme climbing.