Sling for a 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Sling for a 94

Post by Marc »

I want to put a sling on my 356 Win for hunting season. I haven't killed anything with it yet and need to rectify that situation. Both it and my 30-30 had the Uncle Mikes clamp on sling stud on the magazine tube. The 30-30 tube was loose as a goose and the 356 tube had been pulled forward past the screws. The screw holes are all wallered out. Not a good setup!

The last time I hunted with it I just looped the sling around the barrel and tube. That worked except it could slide back and forth on the barrel. It was fine to sling it muzzle down as the sling would slide against the end of the forend and stop there. It didn't work as well muzzle up.

I have thought about putting a front stud on the rear barrel band but I am afraid it would be hard on that little band screw. Does anybody have a better method of attaching the front end of a sling to a Win 94 carbine?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, Marc !

Wow - What do you do with the slung rifles - jog forever? I've used clamp-on Q.D. swivels on my guns since the 1970's and have never had anything happen like your describing.

However, I do keep the sling in a pocket or haversack almost all the time I'm hunting - only slinging it for those times when both hands are needed for climbing or dragging out a deer, etc.

It sound like you could use an adaption of one of those military side swivels, that band both mag tube and barrel - as on vintage war rifles.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Thanks, Pete. The damage was done when I got the rifles. I have never used those clamp on gizmos. I stay on the move when I hunt and need to be able to glass without laying the rifle down.

Looping the sling around the barrel and mag tube works. The problem is keeping it in place. Maybe I will just duct tape it!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've used the tube mounted sling mounts as well and never had a problem with them.

Why not repair the damage and start fresh? If they were like this when you got them, then they need repaired anyway.

Joe
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Put an o-ring on the mag tube ahead of the clamp-on stud. Then snug both against the barrel band. If you don't put an o-ring cushion between the barrel band and the stud band, something will eventually loosen. If your rifle uses a mag tube hanger, the hanger will eventually break without an 0-ring cushion--Voice Of Experience talking.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Junior,

Just for those of us who sometimes have trouble visualizing things, could you post a pic of a rifle so equipped?

Joe
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I use a simple loop-type sling I made on my levergus. A loop slides over the barrel, and the butt arrangement is velcro-adjustable for any levergun. I think the materials cost me $7, and it took maybe 15 minutes to put it together.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I used to have a mag tube clamp on type. My POI would change after a while. I bought an Uncle Mikes forearm/ barrel band type. ( I had to drill and tap the band, no big deal) so far all ok I will know better after the next hunting season. Last year was pretty short, I shot a nice 8 point on the opening morning. I may not be so lucky this year.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

J Miller wrote:Junior,

Just for those of us who sometimes have trouble visualizing things, could you post a pic of a rifle so equipped?

Joe
Will do, Joe. I'll take a photo tomorrow after the sun comes up. In fact, I need to add the 0-ring addition to my 94 take down page.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Here ya go, Joe. A picture really is worth a thousand words. I took the mag tube to the local NAPA store and bought an o-ring that fit.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice picture, technology has improved in the sticks of Louisianna since I was at Ft. Polk in 71.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Junior, I might give that a try. I probably have an o-ring that will fit in the collection. Thanks.
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

I've got a Winchester 94 with one of the Uncle Mike's sling adapters on it, and the front swivel base is clamped to the mag tube just forward of the forearm.

Should I move it to just behind the front barrel band?
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

TooTech wrote:I've got a Winchester 94 with one of the Uncle Mike's sling adapters on it, and the front swivel base is clamped to the mag tube just forward of the forearm.

Should I move it to just behind the front barrel band?
Not without an o-ring buffer.