your opinion--red dot or scope on a lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

your opinion--red dot or scope on a lever

Post by rimrock »

Currently, I use an XS Ghost ring with white post front sight. But, folks, my eyes seem to be getting older quicker than the rest of me. So, I'd like your opinion on placing a red dot or scope in a the XS scout mount I have on my .444. I'm considering an AimPoint red dot and a Leupold or Burris scout scope. Deer and hogs would be my main game animals, and most shots are 75-125 yards.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I would get the 2.5x Leupold Scout Scope.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd probably go . . . scope. But, a red-dot might be good also. Less practical, but also intriguing would be a laser sight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I use a red-dot on my Marlin when the light starts to get dim.

Works great.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I prefer holgraphic sights. Lower profile, quicker on target and lighter as well.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I use an Aimpoint red dot on my AR15. It's for up to 100 yd. work, mostly closequarters work. I'm a very big fan of it. Before I purhased it I did a little research. The military had given it's blessing and if it's good enough for our grunts and they can't break it, easily, then it's for me.

If I were looking for something for 50 yds. or longer ranges I'd go for a scope. The magnification helps a lot.
Old Law Dawg
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I have a Leupold scout scope on my lever and it works great. At work I have a Leupold Mark 4 CQT. It's made for AR's but I believe it would hold up to a big bore. Problem is it's price - about $600. It magnifies up to 3x and has a circle/dot reticle that can illuminate to various brightness.
Good luck.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a Leupold Scout set-up on my 1895GS and a Burris SpeedDot I've had on my 629 and now the BFR. The dot is fairly big and I've not tried it on a rifle, but on the hand guns, it tightened up my groups by a factor of at least 3 or 4..... Very fast on target.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

If ya cant shoot 5'' at 2 ya need ta earn the glass
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I have a Burris shotgun scope on a 336. Very good eye relief, bright and clear. I'm not crazy about the looks, but when the light gets dim it sure helps.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I put a Tasco red dot on the 336C my wife swiped from me and she loves it. The red dot covers exactly where the bullet hits out to about 150 yards. It works fine for me when I can get it away from her, and I spend 40 hours a week staring at a computer screen. That is kind of rough on the eyes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I'll suggest a scope with illuminated reticle, that way you get the best of both.

Cheers,

Carl
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My problem with dots is that most of the dots are too darned big. It's mighty hard for me to get a decent group at 100 yards when the dot is 3" in diameter. Of course, at close range that's of little import, but I'd still prefer a scope of no more than 4X -- really, 1.5 to 2.5X is plenty.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Jeff Quinn wrote:I would get the 2.5x Leupold Scout Scope.
+1
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you might consider the Weaver 1-3x, it's great to look through at 1x.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Cheap red dots don't work very well in my experience, poor low light visibility, and no magnification, with a limited field of view. Can't comment on the good ones, other then they are pricey. Red dots are fast on target though, and about idiot proof.
I'd go for a low power scope
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Another vote here on a low-powered scope. The battery on a red dot scope will go out at the worst possible moment.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Why ruin a perfectly good levergun with either?! :? Of course i have several EBRs for that kind of thing but I really cant see putting scopes or Red Dots on leverguns.
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

i've got the scope on my 357 carbine and the tasco red dot on my 35 rem.both are set up scout style and the tasco affords the comfortable carry.i think the red dot has the edge in speed.at 66 i need all the edge i can get.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Guys,

I appreciate the input. A couple of questions--

For those familiar with red dots, what is your personal experience with battery life? Are you successful with your red dot at night where night hunting is legal?

For those familiar with scout scopes, there are a lot of dense woods with patchy clearings where I hunt. Are the Leupold or Burris scopes able to gather enough light where dim light is the only light available? What method do you use for illumination at night where night hunting is legal?

For both types of optics, what about maintaining zero if quick release rings are used to switch between optic and ghost ring or laser? Based on what Marshal Stanton has said about using laser sights for night hunting on beartoothbullets.com, I might also consider getting one for that part of my shooting.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I have an Aimpoint CompM4 on my AR-15 and it has a 7 year (not a typo, that is SEVEN YEAR) battery life. I will respectfully suggest that it will NOT fail at the worst possible moment.

As for holding the zero, you can take the Aimpoint off the rifle, throw it, yes THROW it across the ground and then retrieve it and put it back on the rifle, and it will have the exact same zero. Don't believe me? No problem, check http://link.brightcove.com/services/lin ... 1395583585 out this video.

I don't think I'd choose to put something like that on a lever rifle.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Scout scopes are iron sights for old eyes. Best gun invention in a long time...

I've dug around the internet about red dots. Seen several claims that accuracy improvement over iron sights is substantial, even though they are non-magnifying. One of the smaller 1" tube sites on a scope mount is not going to turn your levergun into a clumsy clunker. Stay away from the tiny pistol screen sights like the JP Enterprises site (yes, I tried it, could not get a repeatable zero).
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Scope is better than a red dot - IMHO. I have used both and still have a red dot, but am not currently using it. I find scopes work better for me.

Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I think Homefront and Sobenk are right on track as I use both those types scopes and they are great! I think a low power scope with a good visible reticle used with BOTH eyes open is just about impossible to beat for short range, fast shooting, period. If you have not tried it, then do! I have another scope I recently purchased that's even a tad better than the two already mentioned. A Leupold European model 30mm 1.25-4x20. Very bright in low light and very fast to use with German #4 reticle.
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I vote scope - I have a Leupold fixed 2.5 on my Marlin Guide Gun. It is mounted in the last slots on the XS scout rail - almost right up against the ghost ring - I like the set up and seems to work for me. The Leupold fixed scopes have plenty of eye relief for this application.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I'll have to say scope also.....

If your anything like me (used to have a bushnell 4 reticle dot on my guidegun)
Almost everytime I put it away I had left it on, only to break it out with a dead
battery :(

In the early morning and late afternoon it caused me to move allot "on stand"
because what was bright enough at 6:30am I couldn't see at 6:45am.
Also what was bright enough at 4:30pm would snatch away my ability so see
in failing light at 4:45pm (too bright).

Just because I said that doesn't mean there aren't 100 other gents out there
that LOVE their red dots.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

As far as using a reddot at night. It may sound like a good idea, but the ones I have used were no good. The light from the reddot screws it all up.

For night hunting I havent found anything better than a low powered scope with a thick crosshair and a buddy with a big spotlight.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

The cheap BSA red dot I put on my son's 336 was only good during normal daylight, night shooting would have been impossible.
A low power scope, even a cheap one, works well after sunset for longer then you'd expect.Depending on background, you can usually see closer range targets at night if you have a bright moon.

A decent one man night shooting rig, is a head light (coon light), that you adjust so you can see your target when the gun is mounted.
I know a guy that has killed more deer at night with that rig, then most people have during the day.

I've never done it, but see that when shooting hogs over a feeder at night, guys hang small battery powered green LED lights on branches or high on the feeder to cast a greenish glow around it just bright enough so targets can be seen with a scope.

Or... you can just get a Gen 1, (or better) nightscope and have at it. :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The red-dot that I use is an Eotech. 10,000hr battery life, and it shuts itself off after 4 hours if you accidentally leave it on.

Nothing works in pitch black but the reticle intensity has 20 levels of adjustment, so there is a good chance that you can get pretty darn close.

Put the dot where you want the bullet to go from any angle through the scope window.

Point. Click.

Really easy.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

FWiedner wrote:
Put the dot where you want the bullet to go from any angle through the scope window.

Point. Click.

Really easy.

Hey FW, I never tested it when I had mine, but are those red dots parallax free?
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I tried a Bushnell Trophy 1x, coated lenses in a tube with multiple reticle configurations. No magnification, but just the lenses in a tube causes some distortion. For that one I'll say no.

The Eotech has no magnification and no "tube" wiith lenses that need to be focused at a particular range, so for that one I'll say yes.

Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Thank you Sir :D
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Good points for both types of optics discussed in a civil manner. I'll keep this thread for my future reference. Now, I just have to get to the toy store to try them both , and see which one suits me best.