Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas. Directions added pg5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas. Directions added pg5

Post by vancelw »

I hope everyone made it home okay - or will make it home okay, for those who are still traveling.

It was good to meet everyone and stay at the "mansion" on the "lake" :lol:

After slogging around in the mud I am pretty stiff today. :oops: Time to get out from behind the desk more often :!:

I had it easy. I left camp at 7, took the ram's head to my 1st cousin (one of many) who dabbles in taxidermy as a hobby, and was home to my darling bride by 10 pm. Nowadays, all it takes is one night away from home to really appreciate my own bed.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I made it home,and now have to unload the vehicle. I am a little sore from slogging in the mud, too. I met a bunch of great guys, and had a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I meant to thank you and all the others for the great food! The bad thing is, since it was so wet we never burned the firewood I brought. Now I have to UNLOAD it! I'm such a good procrastinator that I may just leave it in there for the next time we go :lol: At least, in the bed of my pickup, the fire ants would stay out of it. :idea:

I never even broke out the case of Moon Pies and the RC Colas for a real Texas desert. (or as my Granny would say...the "ara oh see colas"!)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hey, I had a great time! Many thanks to Ricky and Joe for hosting the whole thing! Brian (the outfitter/guide) did a great job for us and made sure everyone had plenty of chances to bag a hog. Yes, it was a muddy mess but the stands were comfortable and there were plenty of hogs moving around, so it was all worth it.

Enjoyed meeting and seeing those I've already met again. What a great bunch of guys we have on the board! And yes, we sure ate well - everything was tasty! I think Piller could have been happy just staying in the cabin and cooking stuff for us to eat! :lol:

I just read a PM from Ricky that Will shot another hog after I left - the one that took a bullet to the leg from my Blackhawk on Friday :oops: While Ricky says that it was just a flesh wound, I'm glad that Will took it down - no meat ruined at least! Thanks Will!

The handgun hunters on this trip sure didn't do so great... Piller did get his hog on Saturday with this 44 but, well I'll let him tell you about that. :P

I do know that a 310 grain Lee wfn gas checked boolit going 1600 fps from a Marlin 94 does a number on hog... and made it quite easy to place the shot! There was a wide and volumous blood trail a blind man could follow from my boar - but they are tough as heck - the shot went through his chest and came out in the off-front quarter, ruining everything in the chest and shattering his leg and he still managed to go 30 yards before laying down. And this was just a 120 pound boar...

I have some pics to post but my current pic host is down, so I need a new one - any recommendations on a free site? Just basic picture hosting is all I want.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OK, taking a shot at posting a pic hosted on Flikr - Yahoo's free site: http://www.flickr.com

Yay - it worked. Joe, Brian, Fred, Will, Jac and hog ;)

OK, more:

Inside of the mansion:

Collin and Charles:

Hanging around Camp on Saturday: (By the way Piller, did you hit that squirrel you were aiming at? :lol: )

Jason is thinking about driving back home.... 15 hours!

Brian, Jac, Amanda, Will, Charles and Jason with my little boar:

Camp CCBW (Chief Cook and Bottle Washer) - Ricky (with stew in the making):

Will, Jason and Fred with their trophies:

Friday night at camp:
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

RKrodle wrote:
Warhawk wrote:Well I'm out on this hunt after all. There is just no way this hand is up much of anything yet.

Ya'll have a good time and I'll try to join you next time.

Jim
I was holding out hope that you could make it Jim. Sorry to here it. Get that hand well for next time.
I can't quite pick up a rifle with my right hand yet, and it was a major effort to thumb cock my Marlin 336. I was afraid I wouldn't be safe so I called it off.

I hope ya'll go back some time, looks like a great time was had by all.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Hey, I had a great time! Many thanks to Ricky and Joe for hosting the whole thing! Brian (the outfitter/guide) did a great job for us and made sure everyone had plenty of chances to bag a hog. Yes, it was a muddy mess but the stands were comfortable and there were plenty of hogs moving around, so it was all worth it.

Enjoyed meeting and seeing those I've already met again. What a great bunch of guys we have on the board! And yes, we sure ate well - everything was tasty! I think Piller could have been happy just staying in the cabin and cooking stuff for us to eat! :lol:

I just read a PM from Ricky that Will shot another hog after I left - the one that took a bullet to the leg from my Blackhawk on Friday :oops: While Ricky says that it was just a flesh wound, I'm glad that Will took it down - no meat ruined at least! Thanks Will!

The handgun hunters on this trip sure didn't do so great... Piller did get his hog on Saturday with this 44 but, well I'll let him tell you about that. :P

I do know that a 310 grain Lee wfn gas checked boolit going 1600 fps from a Marlin 94 does a number on hog... and made it quite easy to place the shot! There was a wide and volumous blood trail a blind man could follow from my boar - but they are tough as heck - the shot went through his chest and came out in the off-front quarter, ruining everything in the chest and shattering his leg and he still managed to go 30 yards before laying down. And this was just a 120 pound boar...

I have some pics to post but my current pic host is down, so I need a new one - any recommendations on a free site? Just basic picture hosting is all I want.
Try www.hunt101.com for unlimited free pic hosting.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Most of my pic are duplicates of whats already been posted. But I didn't see one of Vance.

Here's Vance and his very nice Ram.
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep - that's a purty ram to be sure. Congrats again Vance! And keep the pics coming guys! I missed all kinds of stuff.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just got home. About brain dead.
8 degrees and about a foot of snow.

Had a great time and really enjoyed meeting everyone.

OSOK,

I'm glad someone got the "Phantom Pig"! (Nice job Wil)!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yeah, me too - phantom pig goes down... oooaahhg!

ETA - lets get some more pics up guys! We're missing some attendees :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'll get my pictures up tomorrow. The USB for my camera is in my office.
Wasn't going any where near that place until i have to :D

jb 8)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote:I'll get my pictures up tomorrow. The USB for my camera is in my office.
Wasn't going any where near that place until i have to :D

jb 8)
Smart man. I've learned that the hard way a time or two.

If you'd have hung around a bit, we'd have shown you more water....and more water.. and so forth. I've lived here in this house for 15 years and today is only the second time I've seen water run across the road. I think someone's pool dam broke from all the rain.
Looks like you have more snow coming your way, though. You keep it and I'll keep my water :D

I've got some pictures, but like Cookie, er..I mean Ricky, mine are repeats of what has already been posted up.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Will - how about some pics of the last day - and the phantom in particular. I'm real currious as to the placement of the hole in her leg....
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

There should be some in my pictures thread. The hole was in the front left leg on the inside "knee" area. Looks like it impacted and stopped, I should have pulled the bullet but didn't. If I had to guess I would say the shot was low, and the leg had no weight on it so was able to "swing" and absorb most of the energy and the dense bone in and knee/ankle stopped the bullet. It didn't fair quite so well with a .243 to the skull.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

n2t wrote:There should be some in my pictures thread. The hole was in the front left leg on the inside "knee" area. Looks like it impacted and stopped, I should have pulled the bullet but didn't. If I had to guess I would say the shot was low, and the leg had no weight on it so was able to "swing" and absorb most of the energy and the dense bone in and knee/ankle stopped the bullet. It didn't fair quite so well with a .243 to the skull.
Oh, didn't see your post - I'll go look for it -thanks! And I am shocked that the bullet stopped on the bone! This is a 250 grain Keith that was going about 1100 fps when it hit that hog! The reputation is that they shoot through the shoulders, through and through, etc. - hmmmm!

I'll go look at the pics - I'm thinking maybe if it'd performed as advertised it may have gone into the chest? I'll look at the pics.

ETA - OK, looked at the pics - second one down showed you with the silver hog but the left leg was on the bottom out of view...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I am sorry, never thought to get an actual pic of the hole. The only thing I can think happened was the leg was in the air and didn't provide the resistance to penetrate. Just kinda swung with the impact and the bullet lodged in the joint. the hole was on the inside front left leg so your bullet passed under the pig and hit the off side/inside leg, full penetration would not have helped as we're talking about hte ankle/knee joint of the offside leg, not the onside shoulder. When the video comes up I will try to show this better as I'm sure my description is kinda confusing.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

n2t wrote:I am sorry, never thought to get an actual pic of the hole. The only thing I can think happened was the leg was in the air and didn't provide the resistance to penetrate. Just kinda swung with the impact and the bullet lodged in the joint. the hole was on the inside front left leg so your bullet passed under the pig and hit the off side/inside leg, full penetration would not have helped as we're talking about hte ankle/knee joint of the offside leg, not the onside shoulder. When the video comes up I will try to show this better as I'm sure my description is kinda confusing.
Hmm. The pig I shot at had its head to my left that is head, body, tail in that order left to right as I looked at it. If the hole was on the inside of the left front leg (pig's left), then it can't be my shot. If the hole is on the inside of the pig's right front leg, then it probably is...

We'll look at that video!

Thanks!
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:Most of my pic are duplicates of whats already been posted. But I didn't see one of Vance.

Here's Vance and his very nice Ram.

Here's how he looks now. Wish I could lose that much weight. I don't know if there's room for him and me in the doghouse.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

That turned out real nice. It will go good with that bear skin rug your fixing to get :D .
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If that hurricane veers to the left I may be able to fish out of my stand. I may need one of those fishing tubes! I've been agonizing over which gun to take and the stainless steel one (with the side lever) may win out.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Well that looks better!

I think I can still smell it!!!!
That was one of the stinkiest, ugliest critters I've ever come across.

Ricky,

You guys doing that again this winter?
I have to start saving now!! It was a 15 HR ride but it sure was worth it!!

jb 8)

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

2ndovc wrote: Ricky,

You guys doing that again this winter?

jb 8)

+1
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If ya'll are interested in doing it we can make it happen. We had a blast last year, even with all the mud.
Ricky

DWWC
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'd be interested! I'm way overdue for a road trip.
NRA Life Member
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

RKrodle wrote:If ya'll are interested in doing it we can make it happen. We had a blast last year, even with all the mud.
I'm in, and overdue to bust a hog. Should have a new toy ready soon.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It was a lot of fun. Maybe this time my son might want to come along.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Please see the sticky for information on this winters hog hunt.
Ricky

DWWC