Tang/Reciever sight Win 94AE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deadwooddan
Levergunner

Tang/Reciever sight Win 94AE

Post by deadwooddan »

Still looking at my options and had a few questions hoping someone with more knowledge than me or that has a setup with same weapon. My rifle has the saddle ring on left side and what appears to be to screws that go through to other side, And tang saftey.

Was wondering if either a tang sight or receiver sight specific that will bolt on without any modifications?

I just recieved the Marbles bullseye sight also, Any help on removing the factory buckhorn will be greatly appreciated!!

My plans/thoughts are the bullseye sight will be good enough to work up loads off the bench and hunting in the timber, really liked the looks of it. If i feel i need a better aperture for working up loads or don't like the bullseye i will buy a Williams FP or similiar OR a tang sight?

Will i be able to leave the bullseye sight on and mount a Williams or tang sight and be able to do double duty or am i asking for to much?

Will i have to change the front sight at all with any of the above 3? just by setting the bullseye sight along side the buckhorn it looks like a direct replacement
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tang/Reciever sight Win 94AE

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, barrel-mounted peep-type sights don't work as well as peep sights mounted as close as possible to the shooter's eye (w/o chance of eye damage) - since peeps properly shopuld be looked THROUGH, w/o actually seeing them, ILO being looked "at".

It's very suitable to run with the issue-height front sight and both a folding-type rear barrel sight and a tang sight.

The barrel sight should be zeroed for close-range, fast shooting, and the tanger zeroed at a longer distance for mor deliberate/accurate shots.

In use, I hunt with the tang sight folded and the barrel sight up, prepared for suddenly-presented game shots.
I've found, over the years, that there's usually ample time to fold dowm the barrel sight and flip up the tanger if game is spotted further away.

Although, this pic of one of my setups has both sights raised for illustration.

On those rifles with just a receiver peep sight, I always remove the rear barrel sight, replacing it with a decorative slot filler blank I make from old open sight bases - but commercial slot filler blanks are available from Williams/Brownell's/Midway/etc for about $7.

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If your rifle has a tang safety then I believe it should be a Angle Eject (AE) rifle. It's probably not drilled and tapped for the side mount type receiver sight, I.E. Williams or Lyman. Easiest would be to use the drilled and tapped holes on top of the receiver for a top mount receiver sight like the XS sight. This would also mean that you would need to replace the front sight. Also I believe Williams makes a top mount one that would work. A couple of picture of both sides of your receiver and one of your front sight would tell us more.
Ricky

DWWC
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This is one of the top-mount Williams receiver peep sights made for the Winchester angle-eject rifles, a 5D-94AE (the other is the FP-94AE FoolProof)

rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

Williams makes a receiver sight that fits the holes drilled for the rear scope mounts. I believe that x cess and skinner do also. Probably not a complete list.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Pete44ru wrote:This is one of the top-mount Williams receiver peep sights made for the Winchester angle-eject rifles, a 5D-94AE (the other is the FP-94AE FoolProof)

That's exactly the setup I have on my early '80's vintage trapper 44 magnum. It doesn't interfere with the saddle ring, either. Those saddle rings are mounted by being screwed into a hole drilled and tapped for them. It's a single screw-in arrangement, with the ring itself looped through the stud. It does not go all the way through. I took mine out, and just for grins, tried it on my late 60's vintage Classic Rifle (30-30). Same saddlering fits both guns--and I would venture to say probably fits every comemmorative that Winchester ever made back in the '60's and '70's.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If your rifle has a dove tailed front sight, versus a ramp type, XS sells both as a set.
Ricky

DWWC
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

D W Dan,

You said
I just recieved the Marbles bullseye sight also, Any help on removing the factory buckhorn will be greatly appreciated!!
Which, BullsEye did you order/receive?
The FIXED one ................................... OR...................The ADJUSTABLE one?
Image Image
(Note: red front bead is not part of either rear sight - just shown for illustration on the fixed one.)

If you got the fixed one, you may need to adjust the height of the bead on the front sight. The adjustable rear BullsEye gives you some hope of being able to use your existing front sight at some reasonable distance (50-100 yds) with typical ammo. But you still may have to adjust the height of the front bead in some cases.

I am doing the exact same thing to a new Rossi M92 that ships next week, and for the Rossi, someone on this forum (probably Nate Kiowa Jones) posted the exact height of the front sight I'll need (I will order a new one). I can't believe that someone, somewhere on this forum hasn't posted the info you'll need for your Win 94E.

As far as removing the old rear sight, can't you just lube it up a little and "drift" the dovetail foot out sideways with a 1/8" flat-end steel punch? I guess they sell a special drift punch just for this operation. If my flat-end punch slips off the side of the dovetail, I will take a bigger one and grind the end to match the curvature of the edge (end) of the dovetail foot so it won't slip off when I whack it. Pretending that the new Marble Arms adjustable is your old factory buckhorn, here's where to hit it:
You oughta clamp the barrel well, with padding, and when you drift in the new Bullseye you will scratch up the blueing, so you may want to get a jar of blueing touch-up compound. You may need to take it to the range to get the final side-to-side adjustment right on the new sight, and again the only way to adjust it is to drift it. Finally, be aware that some dovetails are too big to fit into the dovetail groove and need to be filed down or are too loose and need to be shimmed from underneath with shim stock.
deadwooddan
Levergunner

Post by deadwooddan »

Yes its a AE and i have the adjustable bullseye.

Pete44ru, kind of like that set up for the same reasons.

Was curious how the williams attached, never thought of them attaching from the top.

will post picks tomorrow a.m.
deadwooddan
Levergunner

Post by deadwooddan »

forgot to take picture of tang safety, but will assume everyone know theres only the one hole/screw behind it. Was wondering how a tang sight will attach?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadwooddan
Levergunner

Post by deadwooddan »

Tried something better i hope
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The tang sights attach with the stock screw, (a longer one is provided with the sight), and a front hole that would have to be drilled and tapped. The safety would be removed I believe, unless there's a tang sight that allows it's use. Most folks would prefer to cover it up tho, as there's already a rebounding hammer safety.

I like the receiver sights over a tang sight, just for handiness sake. If it was mine, I'd drill and tap the left side of the receiver for a regular receiver sight. They mount more cleanly than the top mount sights do, and don't require a different front sight.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I recently joined this club with the purchase of a Chaparral 1873. I just dropped the rifle off at my gunsmith this morning to let him add a Marbles tang sight and replace the other sights for me - a folding Marble's buckhorn and a Beech front sight.
I like the solid-feeling detentes on the Marble's sight, and the fact that it has adjustable windage - also like the choice of 3 apertures.
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Before someone corrects me for advocating drifting out your rear sight with a punch (which will work and not do too much damage, with a soft brass punch), you can use (and should, if you can find/afford it) a hand press, essentially like a wheel puller, that grips behind the barrel and pushes the sight's dovetail base through the groove by you turning a threaded shaft, kinda like a C-clamp. I've seen them used for pistols, anyway, and I assume they make them for lever rifles. By the way, OF COURSE, a screw actuated press will be a heck of a lot easier when it comes time to make the slight left-right adjustments to get the windage right! :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I've seen them used for pistols, anyway, and I assume they make them for lever rifles.]

Several company's now make dupes of the original tool, the Williams Sight Pusher - but it's only good for ramped sight installations:

[I'd drill and tap the left side of the receiver for a regular receiver sight. They mount more cleanly than the top mount sights do, and don't require a different front sight.]

malamute - FWIW, while a taller front sight IS required to achieve zero with the XS & WGRS top-mount peep sights, the Williames FP & 5D top-mount peeps meant for the Win Model 94 do not, since they alone carry the horizontal sight bar behind the sight base ILO atop it, making for a peep almost touching the bolt.

Besides, the OP's M94AE already has enough holes atop the receiver, so wht not mount a peep in some of them ?