Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas. Directions added pg5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas. Directions added pg5

Post by n2t »

Just out of curiosity, will anyone be bringing, or does anyone own a .280 remington a .450 marlin, or a 45-70 govt. I have a bit of .280 rem brass, and brass, dies, bullets and loaded ammo for a .450 marlin. The bullets (box of 250, 405grn rnfp) could be used in 45-70 as well.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I will be there and could use the 45-70 bullets.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

n2t wrote:Just out of curiosity, will anyone be bringing, or does anyone own a .280 remington a .450 marlin, or a 45-70 govt. I have a bit of .280 rem brass, and brass, dies, bullets and loaded ammo for a .450 marlin. The bullets (box of 250, 405grn rnfp) could be used in 45-70 as well.

I'll be glad to take the .280 brass off your hands if no one else needs it worse than me!

What do you need in trade? I'm pretty tight, but I bet I could find something.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

.243 win brass would be nice, um .35 rem brass, but I doubt that's overly common, but yeah I'll bring a bit of my extra stuff we'll see what we can do.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I think I have a full box of factory win. 243s I'll trade for a box of the the .450s if you're interested.
I'll bring it along anyway.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I don't have any .243 brass to sacrifice.

How about some vintage Lyman 220 Swift dies?

I'll bring them and if no one wants them, put them on the PIF thread.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've got rifles in all those calibers, and loading stuff too.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I think I have maybe 20 or 25 rounds of loaded .450 handloads with 300grn hornady HP rounds, starting loads with benchmark, can be pulled or if you are comfortable safely shot in. Never owned a swift, lol. But I'll bring what I have I'm just looking to get rid of things I don't use/load for anymore.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I've got some 38-40 brass that's once fired, I'll try to remember to bring it along. Maybe someone can use it.
Ricky

DWWC
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I'm out on this hunt after all. Pic below explains why. No big deal, just a minor surgery but it's enough to keep me out of the woods.

Maybe next time

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Warhawk wrote:I'm out on this hunt after all. Pic below explains why. No big deal, just a minor surgery but it's enough to keep me out of the woods.

Maybe next time
Ouch!

We'll met you next time.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Warhawk,

That sucks! I was looking forward to meeting you.

Heal well amigo!

jb 8)

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hate to hear it Warhawk. I hope you heal quickly.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

If all of you that are coming on the hunt could post up approximately when you expect to arrive it well help us out in the final planning. Also if your planning to bring food to share post that up also, that way I'll know how hungry to show up :D .

I plan to be there around noon on Friday, and will bring fixings for some stew and a pot of beans.
Ricky

DWWC
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've got to work Thurs. night and I get off at 6:00am. After a couple hours of sleep, I currently expect to roll into Avery around 1:00pm on Friday, assuming I don't get mis-located.

I'm planning to bring a pot of chilli made using the Red Deer I shot in November and a pan of corn bread.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun Winter Hunt In Texas.

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:Here's the directions for the hunt.

From Dallas, take I30 East to exit 178 (US 259). Take US 259 North to De Kalb, about 16 miles, to US 82. Go west on US 82 about 11 miles, through the town of Avery about 1 mile, to FM 1699. Turn North, the only way to turn, for about 2 miles to 4187 FM 1699 Avery, Texas. You cannot see the cabin from the road. We will post up a sign of some type to mark the spot. If anyone has questions on the directions or gets lost call me on my cell phone. Beware if I’m already at the hunt site I may or may not get the call because of poor signal. 214-549-5217
Ricky,

Is that going to be on the right or left side of the road? Is the 2 miles exact or are you guestimating? :D

Plan on me showing up around noon or so on Friday.

I can bring whatever is needed as far as food. If all else fails, Clarksville in only 11 miles away and has grocery stores as well as fast food. (and a fairly decent Italian Restaurant on the square.) I can also bring firewood or a gas grill if we need it.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

vancelw wrote:
RKrodle wrote:Here's the directions for the hunt.

From Dallas, take I30 East to exit 178 (US 259). Take US 259 North to De Kalb, about 16 miles, to US 82. Go west on US 82 about 11 miles, through the town of Avery about 1 mile, to FM 1699. Turn North, the only way to turn, for about 2 miles to 4187 FM 1699 Avery, Texas. You cannot see the cabin from the road. We will post up a sign of some type to mark the spot. If anyone has questions on the directions or gets lost call me on my cell phone. Beware if I’m already at the hunt site I may or may not get the call because of poor signal. 214-549-5217
Ricky,

Is that going to be on the right or left side of the road? Is the 2 miles exact or are you guestimating? :D

Plan on me showing up around noon or so on Friday.

I can bring whatever is needed as far as food. If all else fails, Clarksville in only 11 miles away and has grocery stores as well as fast food. (and a fairly decent Italian Restaurant on the square.) I can also bring firewood or a gas grill if we need it.
It's guestimating, but it is on the left side of the road. I plan to be there first and put up a sign of some sort so people will know where to turn in.
Ricky

DWWC
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

FOOD

I'm planning on being there early Fri afternoon, pending on DFW traffic. approx 2-3pm.

I plan on bringing 5-6 chicken breasts for frying or grilling if some one's bringing bbq brickettes.

I can sautee over direct coals.

If no bricketts, i'll bring a woq and cut up and sautee chicken chunks over a back packers stove.

I'll pick up a length of smoked suasage too.

Someone needs to bring the milk, choc chip and double fudge oreo's. A pie is good too. double fudge layer cake just as well.

-Brian
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

On the road as we speak, planning to arrive friday, not sure what time as we're driving. I am bringing some of my extra stuff for 45-70/450 marlin and .280 rem. I will most likely stop somewhere in town to get a few things for camp, food, beer what have you. See you guys soon!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

n2t wrote:On the road as we speak, planning to arrive friday, not sure what time as we're driving. I am bringing some of my extra stuff for 45-70/450 marlin and .280 rem. I will most likely stop somewhere in town to get a few things for camp, food, beer what have you. See you guys soon!
I look forward to meeting you, ya'll drive careful and get here in one place.
Ricky

DWWC
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I may make it after all. I've convinced the Doc to take the cast off Thursday. Won't be able to do any heavy lifting, but I expect I'll be able to pull a trigger, or a cork :)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

n2t wrote:On the road as we speak, planning to arrive friday, not sure what time as we're driving. I am bringing some of my extra stuff for 45-70/450 marlin and .280 rem. I will most likely stop somewhere in town to get a few things for camp, food, beer what have you. See you guys soon!
Don't know how familiar you are with the area or which direction you're coming from, but most of north east texas is "dry" meaning you can't usually just go into grocery store or convenience store and buy beer or wine.

That being said, Annona is wet. I can't remember if they have spirits or just beer and wine. Annona is less than 10 miles from where we will be, between Clarksville and DeKalb on US 82.

Just making sure you know so you can plan ahead. I don't want you to show up empty handed. :D
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Warhawk wrote:I may make it after all. I've convinced the Doc to take the cast off Thursday. Won't be able to do any heavy lifting, but I expect I'll be able to pull a trigger, or a cork :)
That's great Warhawk!
Ricky

DWWC
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Warhawk wrote:I may make it after all. I've convinced the Doc to take the cast off Thursday. Won't be able to do any heavy lifting, but I expect I'll be able to pull a trigger, or a cork :)

... with that hand.

You meant to say "with that hand", right?

:wink: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am bringing fixings for stew for Saturday, Chocolate chip cookies, 1 batch with pecans, 1 without, a chocolate cake, cornbread, fixins for campfire casserole for breakfast, coffee and a coffee pot, ice, bread and peanut butter for lunch.

If anyone brings wood, I'll bring a metal fire ring and we can have a campfire to sit or stand around and have an evening bull session.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

FWiedner wrote:

... with that hand.

You meant to say "with that hand", right?

:wink: :lol:
The other hand was operated on in December, and is still a little tender. But I'll find a way .. :lol:
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Dry? I thought dry areas were horrid things they told us kids, like the boogie man and decaf coffee. We are currently in Colorado, I'll see what we can do. Taking it fairly slow and safe, drive sofar has been pretty easy, no storms, no snow or ice, lets hope it holds up, and gps is a great thing.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

n2t wrote:Dry? I thought dry areas were horrid things they told us kids, like the boogie man and decaf coffee. We are currently in Colorado, I'll see what we can do. Taking it fairly slow and safe, drive sofar has been pretty easy, no storms, no snow or ice, lets hope it holds up, and gps is a great thing.
Keep being safe.... and my Garmin Nuvi goes everywhere I go :D .
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Give me a "M", Give me a "U", Give me a "D"! What's that spell? Bring some high boots or at least a change of shoes.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Joe/Ricky ... Is there anyplace out there to check the zero on a rifle?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

It may be hard to find a place to shoot 100 yards but you should be able to set something up for like 50 yards. Well that work for you?
Ricky

DWWC
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

RKrodle wrote:It may be hard to find a place to shoot 100 yards but you should be able to set something up for like 50 yards. Well that work for you?
That should be fine.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Heading out @ 5 am. Shooting for Memphis tomorrow and should be in Avery @noon Friday.
I'll stop for beer and anything else I can find along the way.

jb 8)

I can't wait to shoot something!!!

:D

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote:
Texarkana, Arkansas is the last chance for you to do that! Don't forget.
2ndovc wrote:

Please, not me :D But....it would get me out of work for a while :lol:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

2ndovc wrote:Heading out @ 5 am. Shooting for Memphis tomorrow and should be in Avery @noon Friday.

jb 8)

Outstanding, Memphis should be about 5 Hrs away from the hunt area. I don't know where in Memphis your staying but may I suggest you stay away from the city of West Memphis, it's on the Arkansas side of the Mississippi River.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

vancelw wrote:
Hey Vance, would you mind bring some firewood, piller is going to bring a fire ring. We will need something to backup to :D .
Ricky

DWWC
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

RKrodle wrote:
2ndovc wrote:Heading out @ 5 am. Shooting for Memphis tomorrow and should be in Avery @noon Friday.

jb 8)

Outstanding, Memphis should be about 5 Hrs away from the hunt area. I don't know where in Memphis your staying but may I suggest you stay away from the city of West Memphis, it's on the Arkansas side of the Mississippi River.
They don't call Memphis Mogadishu on the Mississippi for nothing.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:
Hey Vance, would you mind bring some firewood, piller is going to bring a fire ring. We will need something to backup to :D .
I may have to use the boat to get to the pasture and pick it up :D It is soggy here and raining more! I may be able to put some helium in my trailer tires :D I have a couple of trees partially cut up that I should be able to get enough for a toasty fire.
RKrodle wrote: Outstanding, Memphis should be about 5 Hrs away from the hunt area. I don't know where in Memphis your staying but may I suggest you stay away from the city of West Memphis, it's on the Arkansas side of the Mississippi River.
HA! If you drive like my granny :lol: And she only drove a team! Never could get the hang of a car.

Tomorrow at work is going to just draaaaagggggggg....
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

vancelw wrote:
RKrodle wrote:
I may have to use the boat to get to the pasture and pick it up :D It is soggy here and raining more! I may be able to put some helium in my trailer tires :D I have a couple of trees partially cut up that I should be able to get enough for a toasty fire.
RKrodle wrote: Outstanding, Memphis should be about 5 Hrs away from the hunt area. I don't know where in Memphis your staying but may I suggest you stay away from the city of West Memphis, it's on the Arkansas side of the Mississippi River.
HA! If you drive like my granny :lol: And she only drove a team! Never could get the hang of a car.

Tomorrow at work is going to just draaaaagggggggg....
:lol: Hey I said about. :lol:

Ok, I checked and it is 320 miles from downtown Memphis to downtown Avery and it should take 4hrs and 44 mins. :D
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:

Ok, I checked and it is 320 miles from downtown Memphis to downtown Avery and it should take 4hrs and 44 mins. :D

Now that I'm older and wiser, that's probably right. Back when I was one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I went to "A" school at NAS Millington, north of Memphis. On payday weekends, I would drive (out of bounds :D ) from the base to my house (N of Paris back then) in 5 1/2 hours-and the speed limit was 55! Only got stopped once...when I passed an Arkansas trooper from behind (as I was desperately trying to get back to base in time for 0530 muster on Monday morning).

He gave me a warning, and said he had to ask why I passed him. I said I couldn't get slowed down fast enough. :lol: He had a good laugh over that and sent me on my way.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

vancelw wrote:
RKrodle wrote:

Now that I'm older and wiser, that's probably right. Back when I was one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, I went to "A" school at NAS Millington, north of Memphis. On payday weekends, I would drive (out of bounds :D ) from the base to my house (N of Paris back then) in 5 1/2 hours-and the speed limit was 55! Only got stopped once...when I passed an Arkansas trooper from behind (as I was desperately trying to get back to base in time for 0530 muster on Monday morning).

He gave me a warning, and said he had to ask why I passed him. I said I couldn't get slowed down fast enough. :lol: He had a good laugh over that and sent me on my way.
I made that "swope" a time or two myself from Millington to home. When were you out there, I was there Nov 79 to March of 80. I always managed to get stopped by Texas Troopers. They were always pretty good about it.
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:
I made that "swope" a time or two myself from Millington to home. When were you out there, I was there Nov 79 to March of 80. I always managed to get stopped by Texas Troopers. They were always pretty good about it.
May '83 to Oct '83. I was an airdale, alright. F/A-18 Safety Equipment Technician (Navy rate AME) before there were enough Hornets around to work on. Still lots of F-4s in service.

Memphis in summer was the hottest place I've ever been in my life. Or at least, marching on the tarmac made it seem that way.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

vancelw wrote:
RKrodle wrote:

When I was a young PFC stationed at MCAS(H) New River, my favorite girl lived in Indianapolis. I once made the 795 mile drive from Indianapolis, IN to Jacksonville, NC in 11 hours on the back-end of a 96-hour pass.

:mrgreen:

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

FWiedner wrote:
vancelw wrote:
RKrodle wrote:

When I was a young PFC stationed at MCAS(H) New River, my favorite girl lived in Indianapolis. I once made the 795 mile drive from Indianapolis, IN to Jacksonville, NC in 11 hours on the back-end of a 96-hour pass.

:mrgreen:
:lol:

I was out at Cherry Point for a year or so before getting attached to an outfit at NAS Jacksonville, Fl. My buddy and I would drive in from Jax on 96 hrs passes, did it on a 72 one time. Yep, I was an airdale too. :D KC-130's and one of only a handful of Marines to work on P-3's.
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, some sad news arrive today - well actually, some good news and sad news... Smitty's main principle (packer that he represents) finally obtained approval from the largest food service distributor in Mississippi to pack their private brand product. This has been in the works for 2 years and more than doubles the sales on the line - which is the really great part of this as that means Smitty's commissions on the line about double. The bad part is the timing - Smitty is needed this weekend to introduce this change to their sales force and really has to be there, so he had to bow out of our hunt. He tried to figure a way to make the hunt but they really expect his presence and well, this is his bread and butter...

I will still be coming myself and will arrive mid-day tomorrow.

I'm bringing some smoked pulled pig and potato salad for the "banquet" :)

Looking forward to seeing ya'll shortly!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sorry to hear Smitty can't make it but it sounds like he has no choice, and who could blame him.
Ricky

DWWC
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Well I'm out on this hunt after all. There is just no way this hand is up much of anything yet.

Ya'll have a good time and I'll try to join you next time.

Jim
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Warhawk wrote:Well I'm out on this hunt after all. There is just no way this hand is up much of anything yet.

Ya'll have a good time and I'll try to join you next time.

Jim
I was holding out hope that you could make it Jim. Sorry to here it. Get that hand well for next time.
Ricky

DWWC
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

The sign for the road to the cabin will be 2'X3', white in color and it will say "HERE". That's where you turn.
Ricky

DWWC
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I am at the holiday inn express. Been to avery, which is about 2 miles from the camp if I'm not mistaken. Should be there before noon tomorrow. I will try to call before then just to touch base. It looks like rain, lol.