7mm-08 Shooters - Any comments?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 7mm-08 Shooters - Any comments?

Post by vancelw »

John in MS wrote:Sounds like they have a lot of potential! I notice many are using Remington Core-Lokt bullets.
At the risk of offending fans of this ammo, you may very well find that the rifles will become tack-drivers with some other high quality ammo. I've often found Remington rifle ammo (other than their .30-30 and .35 Rem) to be some of the less-accurate I've tried.
John
Guns are fickle friends. I have a ~20 year-old Ruger MKII all weather .308 Win. I tried several brands of premium ammo and was not satisfied. I finally tried remington Core-lokt and was happy! I bought about a dozen boxes out the same lot and have taken many many deer, pronghorn, and coyotes with it. I think I am on my last box, so soon I will be on a quest for the "perfect" reload. Lots of things have changed in 20 years, especially bullet choices, so it will be fun. :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Similar story but a buddy lusted after my Ruger .308 I traded with him and he gave me a box of PMC to sight it in with with his scope - BINGO, very accurate with that stuff.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Not being setup to reload 7mm-08 Joe and I just picked up what we could find for test firing and getting them on paper. We'll be reloading the empties with Nosler 140gr Accubonds. I think with a little work these rifles will shoot very well, although I'm not at all unhappy with the results from the factory ammo. When it comes down to it I not a good enough field shot to worry about tack driving accuracy although it is fun to make little groups off of the bench. It does reinforce your confidence in the gun your shooting. Once the dies and bullets arrive we'll do another test firing and see what they'll do. For right now I need to go back and put the ice pack on my nose from where the super short eye relief scope tried to break it, twice :oops: . Any body have a scope for sell, with some eye, and nose, relief?
Ricky

DWWC
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

7mm-08 is a great caliber. I shoot that caliber in a Ruger Model 77 with a Redfield 3X - 9X variable scope. I got my first and probably my best deer with that gun/cartridge with a shot at about 150 yards. While I have since gone to a .30-06 for other reasons, the 7mm-08 is still the rifle I consider my most accurate. I use a 130 - 140 grain (can't remember which) BTSP bullet. Shoots nice and flat.

Buy it, and have fun.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams