7mm-08 Shooters - Any comments?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

7mm-08 Shooters - Any comments?

Post by 86er »

Academy Sports has a ridiculous deal on the Stevens 200 rifle. The 22" barrel rifle is pillar bedded in a composite stock, with a MOA accuracy guarantee, on the Savage 110 action (proven) for a whopping $194.00 ($206 out the door in TX). The local stores have only two or three calibers left, the only one interesting to me is the 7mm-08. I figured I could pull the stock and do a custom paint job to make it look different.

Any comments - good or bad - and experiences with this caliber?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 7mm-08 Shooters - Any comments?

Post by 2ndovc »

sweet round.

Straight, flat and fast.

Knocks things down like you wouldn't believe. Murder on whitetail and Pronghorn.

Been wanting another. Have thoughts on an ultra lightweight in 7-08.
For $200 I'd be taking one home!!

jb.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I shoot something on either side of it myself, the .243 and .308. I guess the biggest draw is the large selection of .284 bullets. I saw the ad you were talking about and was tempted to go buy one of those in 7mm-08. It would cost me 50 to 80 dollars more than that to buy a 7mm-08 barrel for my encore. Only thing is I know from experience that the encore is extremely accurate but have not heard or read about the Stevens accuracy.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great caliber. I have about 1000 rds though a Model 7 SS. All weights are quite accurate and H380 is the one powder that does the best with all of them but I have tried many other powders and loads. Lyman manual author found the same on powder.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

DANG IT! I was just looking at a custom Mauser in 7-08 this afternoon for a little over $400. I had just about talked myself into it when I saw this post...

Man, NOW WHAT am I going to do? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I really like Savage/Stevens rifles and the 7mm-08 cartridge. I believe that this is one of the best balanced cartridges out there. With ballistics slightly exceeding the great ol' 7x57 Mauser which most of us know is another great round in it's own right. Anyway I almost bought a Stevens due to the great deals that can be had. However I did a little research on the rifles and found that for some reason all Savage/Stevens rifles in this caliber have a 1-11.5 twist :( . Since I reload and at some point would want to try 160gr bullets I passed on the sale. If I was going to shoot nothing but factory ammo I would have purchased one quickly, but that twist rate really bothers me.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I know two people that bought the 7-08 today and 5 people that bought the rifle in other calibers. One friend with a 7mm-08 put a $49 Bushnell scope on it and headed to the range with Remington Core Lokt 140 gr and Federal Fusion 140 gr. He said he got 1.25" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with Remington and 1" with the Federals. I am personally interested in using the 90-100 gr weights for a coyote gun and 120-140's for Texas WTD, antelope and maybe Columbia Blacktail only. I think it'll work but I'd hope for more opinions on the calibers performance.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It would be hard to turn down for that kind of money.
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

awp101 wrote:DANG IT! I was just looking at a custom Mauser in 7-08 this afternoon for a little over $400. I had just about talked myself into it when I saw this post...

Man, NOW WHAT am I going to do? :lol:
Buy them both. Or buy 2 Stevens for $194 each and tell yourself what a deal you got. (I personally don't think gun purchases need to be rationalized, but my wife thinks otherwise....something about needing new carpet or counter-tops)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

336A wrote: However I did a little research on the rifles and found that for some reason all Savage/Stevens rifles in this caliber have a 1-11.5 twist :( . Since I reload and at some point would want to try 160gr bullets I passed on the sale.
According to their web site the Stevens has a 1:9.5 twist.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

One of our DWWC members has taken a lot of African plains game with his 7mm - 08. He got tired of lugging around his 300 Win Mag and switched. Now he uses it on deer and such here in the USA.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Very popular caliber in Highpower Rifle Silhouette (500 meters), and has also been used in NRA High Power match rifles (200/300/600 yd) with excellent results. Efficient, mild recoil, accurate and deadly. Good barrel life. Great range of components available.

I worked up loads for a friend's 7mm-08 Savage 110-S (Silhouette) rifle a few years back. This was a model made for Silhouette back in the late 70's/early 80's, with a medium/heavy barrel. Using a 6X Leupold, I tried 3 powder increments, and 1 bullet: 139 gr. Hornady Interlock SP (flat base) and IMR 4320. These choices were based on my success with same in 7x57. I loaded 6 rds at 2 gr. under max, 1 gr. under max, and published max charge. The middle load shot two 0.5" 3-shot groups at 100 yards, back to back. Load development done. Rifle was un-bedded, had no modifications to it. He'd purchased the rifle used from a guy who'd been hunting deer with it for several years, using 120 gr. bullets handloaded for him by a friend. I saw the ammo that came with it and said "friend" didn't know his b*** from 1st base about handloading. Horrible quality ammo, but it killed deer like lightning (so, naturally, the guy had to get a magnum to keep up with the Jones's at the deer camp...) One consideration about using light bullets will be how the rifle is throated. You might find a lot of bullet jump with them, even seated out at max. OAL. I can't predict that -- it depends on the reamer used. If you have a Stoney Point gauge (now Hornady Lock-n-Load, I believe) w/7mm-08 case, you can take a light bullet you're interested in, and measure the throat in the store before buying.

Saw a friend shooting a Rem. model 7 in 7mm-08 years ago, using handloads with 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips: averaging 0.7" (3-shot groups at 100 yds).

I have killed most of my deer with the ballistically very similar 7x57. First 2 were with the 140 gr. Sierra BTSP, at 2650 fps chronographed. Effective, but the bullets were fragile and disintegrated (1 didn't even hit bone!) and wrecked a lot of meat. Switched to the Hornady 139 gr. SP flat base as above, and at velocities from 2750 to 2850 fps, had great results. By actual count, 50% of Alabama (relatively small) whitetail deer dropped in their tracks and the rest ran no further than 25 yards. Shot one spike buck at 60 yards, quartering to me. Hit him a bit high over the left front shoulder, and bullet traversed diagonally to right ham, lodging under the hide. Perfect mushroom, like something out of a bullet commercial, going back to the cannelure/interlock, and little meat damage. This deer just raised his front feet as if to turn and run, then flipped over sideways and gave a kick or 2. His back feet never left their tracks. That's the only bullet I've recovered with the 7x57. Double-lung shots show extensive damage to internal organs -- looks like a blender went through the lung area, but doesn't wreck a lot of meat.

These cartridges (7x57, 7mm-08) are mild and pleasant to shoot, so they are easy for relatively smaller/less experienced shooters to master, with some experience, and their low recoil makes them easy to shoot with both confidence and excellent accuracy. Plenty of oomph for whitetail, etc. and could be loaded heavy with special, heavy projectiles for larger game if desired. After I shot the barrel out of my first 7x57 Winchester 70 Featherweight (on Sillhouette, practice and hunting), I had a lightweight (8 lbs loaded/scoped) custom rifle built in 7x57 to benchrest quality specs on a pre-64 70 action. It averages 0.5" for many 3-shot groups at 100 yards using hunting ammo with... 139 gr. Hornady's. (For kicks, I shot it in an NRA 600/1000 yard any-sight prone match using 150 gr. Sierra MK's, and the bullets went right where I pointed them... not bad for a little, light-barreled sporter!!)

As you can see, I'm fond of them!

hope this helps!
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have no input on the 7mm-08 but I have a Stevens 200 in .223 and have nothing but good things to say about the rifle. It shot great groups right out of the box. I would say you are cheating your self if you dont pick one up. If you dont like the stock Krylon does great things.

Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

vancelw wrote:Buy them both.
Well, since I just figured out the Mauser is built on a Spanish action (originally 7mm) I don't think it will be an issue. According to SAAMI, 7-08 runs around 62K PSI. I'm not willing to take the chance on an action designed for a 52K PSI round... :shock:

Looks like I need to see if the Academy near me has the 7-08! :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have a Deer Hunting partner who shoots the 7-08. He loves it, and he has taken several large bodied Whitetails with it. He loads the 154 Grain Hornady Round Nose for it, and I know for a fact they usually go 3 feet....Straight down! He took a 192# 5x5 with it this year, it was DRT as I helped drag it. He says it is an absolute perfect 300 yard rifle. I believe the Stevens 200 action is the Savage action without the fancy trigger.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I use a 7-08 for rifle silhouette and it does a good job. In fact I am building a new 7-08 for silhouette right now. I killed one deer with it using the 120 Barnes X-bullet. It did the job there too. Good cartridge.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

A great round! A student that used to be in my wifes class a few years ago bought one shortly after she graduated. She brought it to me and I worked up a nice load with a 140gr accubond. Last month she took a forked horn buck with her bow and a REALLY nice bull with her 7-08! In both cases she had her 8 month old baby with her in the jeep she drives :D

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

I love my 99C in 7mm-08 ..

picked up this little 4pt in wyoming with it. 200 yds off side shot ...

had it restocked with a mannlicher stock.

and my wife (bless her heart ) had a 99f rebarreled from 308 to 7mm-08 for me... so cool !!!!

so except for my 358win, 7mm-08 is my fav. easy on the shoulder and dead nuts on.

Talon

you might look at this site for info on 7mm-08 just see what others have to say
and their loads.

http://www.members.tripod.com/sed88/rem7/
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

According to their web site the Stevens has a 1:9.5 twist.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm
Thats great, looks like I missed out on a good deal then. I checked the Savage rifles and their still listed with the slower twist. I wonder why they decided to use two different twist rates.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I know several people who have 7-08's and they all love them. It makes a lot of sense as a round when you look into it's characteristics. If I were going to buy a bolt gun it would be a 7-08. For the price you are talking about better get two.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

The 7mm-08 is one of my favourites. Will take with ease a broad range of game. Inherently accurate and in most rifles not all that fickle on powder. Huge range of projectiles available. In some weights will overhaul the 308 over the long haul. For Australia it will handle everything we have including Territory Buff with the heavy weight bullets, Barnes or Woodleigh.
Its probably one of the best all round chamberings for Australia and North America with the right projectile. Not punishing on the shoulder either, my wife shoots it just fine and she is a little recoil shy.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great little Caliber Joe, BUY IT! :D
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

madman4570 wrote:Great little Caliber Joe, BUY IT! :D
Yeah, and I need a report on the rifle by this afternoon since that's when I'm going to go look at one... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

One other thing to think about with the stevens/savage it is SUPER EASY to change barrels and thus calibers. In the span of 10 minutes I go from a 308 to 22-250 on my one savage. Any caliber based on the 308 case can be put on this action without changing the bolt head(which is changeable too!) and you have a new gun. I have 3 actions and several extra barrels. Just a thought, it makes for a very versatile gun and it "ain't rocket science" to switch them out though it does require a couple specialized tools but they are relatively cheap.people are amazed at the accuracy of the savge/stevens line...especially high dolar bolt shooters :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I love the look on there face when I out shoot them with ...agast a SAVAGE Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Among those who shoot or play with the actions the Savage/Stevens guns have a good reputation. The 7mm-08 is what everyone says it is with the added advantage of much, relatively cheap, reformable brass being out there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Tis quite popular over here Joe, come close my self once! I knew a guy who knew a guy that swore by it for all sorts of duties from large deer to fox shooting and some range work.
Supposed to be pleasant to shoot too.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My friends who purchased them yesterday also got at the same time a $49 scope and Remington Core-Lokt ammo. I tried them today. Pretty good. They are getting 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yds (some groups smaller). If they have one left I'm going to get it on the way home.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

OK - I got the last one they had in 7mm-08! Ricky got one before that. I picked up scope bases at another store and they had one last box of 7mmm-08 mixed up with the 7mm WSM - and it was $13.99! What to do, what to do.......
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe--------------------Sweet!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Joe, Oh ya--------Got your Hunting the Exoctics book out on the coffee table (am reading it)

Daughter(home from college) and a couple of her College friends were looking at your book!
Heard them say to each other ---------"that guy is cute" :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

86er wrote:OK - I got the last one they had in 7mm-08! Ricky got one before that. I picked up scope bases at another store and they had one last box of 7mmm-08 mixed up with the 7mm WSM - and it was $13.99! What to do, what to do.......
Joe, I know how busy you are. Send that stuff to me and I will mount the scope and hunt with it some to make sure everything is OK. It may take a couple seasons to get the gun tweaked just right, but no use you going through that process.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

My nephew has killed a truckload of deer with his 7mm-08 Model Seven. For that price, I would have to physically restrain myself from plopping down the cash.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Like Joe, I couldn't resist. :lol: I called the one closest to me to see if they had any and if they'd hold one for me. Turns out they had a half a dozen so I went by after work. I was intrigued enough to come home, roll my pennies and go back for one.

Mine is in a tan stock, what color is yours Joe?

Also, what is pillar bedding? I've always heard of it but never researched it.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The rifle with 3X9X40 Scope weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces. Two of my friends got a charcoal grey stock. Mine and Ricky's are light grey colored. I put a sticker on mine to easily tell it from the other 8 friends (not including Richard who bought a whole handful of them). Pillar bedding is when there are two steel or aluminum "pillars" permanently bedded in the stock in which the screws are contained. This way the barreled action never touches the stock, it rests on the "pillars". The barrel is also free floated on this rifle so the stock has no influenced on the barrel or action at all. I checked the trigger pull - 3 pounds 2 ounces.

Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

You will not be sorry!!!

7MM-08 is a cartridge that I do not discourage it is in the middle. I have been looking for one but to this day I have not found a deal like you got!.... Good for you buddy

^
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK so the action screws are where the pillars are, thanks! :mrgreen: Mine is "put away" right now so I couldn't check where the pillars were.

The very end on my stock has a slight warp to it but I don't think it'll be an issue since if I don't like it I'll find a nice wooden stock. :wink:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey awp101, mine has a slight deflection at the barrel end also. I don't believe it will make a difference and if it does a couple of minutes with a pocket knife should cure it. Joe and I will probably go out Sunday in the pasture/rifle range and get them sighted in. Come on out and shoot with us, it'll be on up in the mourning as we may go duck/woodcock hunting early.
Ricky

DWWC
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

It always amazes me when I see 7mm-08 post. Everyone loves them yet but you hardly ever see them mentioned in many shooting circles. A few years ago a freind was looking to use up his Christmas bonus money before the wife spent it and he decided he wanted a deer rifle for Iowa's January doe only high power season (Iowa's ONLY high power season). I talked him into a 7mm-08 based completely on balistics and what I've heard. We quickly found a good deal on a Weatherby Vangard Combo (2 stocks, one youth the other full size) and picked up some Federal Fusion 140's (the cheapest ammo Sportsmans Warehouse had in stock). He hasn't been disappointed. While deer were scarce during season he has managed to take several coyotes and fox with it out to 300 yards. BTW, the 140gr 7mm-08 doesn't do anymore damgage to fox and coyote than a .243. Small Entry, silver dollar exit.

About the Stevens 200......IMO the best deal going and at $194 they just better. I have a pre-accutrigger Savage 110 which has basically the same gun. That gun has counted for all of my fox and coyote kills (50+??). Sub MOA groups with my H380 .22-250 loads. What's not to like? Never felt the need to do anything to the stock trigger.

You got a great deal on a great gun. Congtats!

LK
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

I had a Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter Left hand in 7mm-08 because I said if they ever made it I would buy it. I hunted with it one season and took four deer with it. All were one shot kills and the combined distance travelled by all four deer after the shot was zero yards, zero feet and zero inches. That is certainly not a lot of experience but it does speak well for the cartridge. I loaded 140gr Nosler accubond with a book max load of IMR 4895 and found it to shoot consistantly into 3/4" at 100 yds. I tried several other powders and the worst groups I got were 1-1/4" at 100 yards. You should not be disappointed with the 7mm-08. A friend of mine now has it so I could finance other projects. If I were to hunt deer with a bolt action again I would give the 7mm-08 another go.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

RKrodle wrote:Come on out and shoot with us, it'll be on up in the mourning as we may go duck/woodcock hunting early.
Thanks for the invite Ricky but I'm booked Sunday.

Anyone have any suggestions on scope bases? One piece or two? I may start another thread on that...
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We used the Weaver brand #46 for the front and back. A whole $10 for the set. The have the slot off center, allowing for more movement of the scope within the rings for proper eye relief.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks! BTW, here's a page showing how to adjust the trigger: http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/sava ... igger.html
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

That is a great deal on a rifle.The comment was made that you don't hear much from the gun magazines about the 7mm-08, but everyone that has one likes it a lot. Reminds me of our lever cartridge, the 35 rem. Nothing special on paper but you can't find much fault with it in field use. In fact if you had just two rifles, one in each of these calibers you'd be pretty well set for long range and brush hunting here in the lower 48 and the only thing impressive would be your results.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

All I can say is I'm on my way to my Academy to see if they have the same deal. :lol: The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge. I've had a couple I've had to part with and sure wish I had them both back. A buddy of my made a 627 yd lazed range shot on a white-tail deer with one of mine, dropped him in his tracks. He now owns that rifle, wouldn't give it back, but he did pay me for it at least. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I looked at the new sale flyer that came out today. Looks like the deal is off. MY daughter went to a nearby city to watch Avatar in 3D yesterday. I considered having her make a straw purchase :oops: for me but decided against it. So many guns...so little time....
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Yeah, the sale ended at midnight Friday but the normal price is $279 IIRC. If these are half the shooters the guys here claim, I can see another on my list even at that price!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

After Joe posted this I did some research on it as it sounded interesting. I found out the Stevens 200 was a Savage action without the "Accutrigger" Seems the actions sell for around 300 bucks if you want just the action. Many guys want them for their base platform on building a custom rifle, and they will then add a barrel of their choice along with a Timney trigger. I am seriously looking into doing this also. My big hangup right now is the stock. E.R. Shaw custom makes a rifle with their barrel with a base price of 670.00 with a Boyd's stock. It is the new E.R. Shaw Mark Vii. I looked into sending them a 200 action, and having a Timney put in, but my problem is with the stock. Boyds does not sell them to the public for the new short action Savage/Stevens line. So I am back to square 1 for my Varmint rig. Will have something to do for the winter anyway. That was a great buy Joe and Ricky made!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ran into a guy with one of the 7-08s at the range today. Like us, he didn't have a "need" for it but couldn't resist. He sighted it in at 50yds with his buddy spotting.

No idea what kind of group it turned in but I heard him tell his buddy he was happy enough with it to head right down to the 200yd range. :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ricky and I shot them today. We each had 1 1/2" groups or less at 100 yds with Remington Core Lokt 140 gr. Ricky had an easier time of sighting in than I did. The inexpensive scope I threw on there to test drive it didn't track too good. It held its settings just fine but 1/4" increments at 100 yds were more or less meaningless. It was more like a couple turns this way, close your eyes and spin the dial thata way. Nevertheless we got 'em set at 2 1/2" high @ 100 yds, so some deer should be in trouble!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Sounds like they have a lot of potential! I notice many are using Remington Core-Lokt bullets.
At the risk of offending fans of this ammo, you may very well find that the rifles will become tack-drivers with some other high quality ammo. I've often found Remington rifle ammo (other than their .30-30 and .35 Rem) to be some of the less-accurate I've tried.

Example:
Local gun store manager has taken to asking me to test fire rifles that customers bring back, saying they are "inaccurate" and wanting them shipped to the factory. Most times, I find they
shoot quite well, possibly with just a change of ammo. It saves headaches for all, and the customer gets to find out what ammo his rifle likes and not wait however long for the factory to ship it back saying it "meets their accuracy standards."

A while back, a customer brought back his new Steyr hunting rifle, in 7mm-08, with high quality Leupold scope and rings, stating it wouldn't shoot better than about 2" at 100 yards. When I got the call, I asked the manager what type ammo was being used. "Remington." I asked for a box of Remington, and a box of any high quality ammo with ballistic tip type bullets, and headed for the range. Fired 3, 3-shot groups with Remington first, letting the barrel cool thoroughly each time. The customer was right -- it grouped about 1.75" at 100.

I then fired a 3-shot group with the (Federal?) ballistic tip, higher quality fare. To my amazement, all 3 shots cloverleafed into less than 0.5" at 100 yards!! I let it cool, and fired another group -- SAME RESULTS!! I then let it cool and again fired a last group, and... same thing!! 3 shots in 1 hole at 100, with factory ammo! :shock:

I called the manager and said "If he wants his money back for this inaccurate rifle, I will give him every cent he paid, including tax..." Then explained the results, and supplied the test targets with the lot number of the ammo and a note that the customer should buy as much of that exact lot # as he wanted, as there was no guarantee the next lot of same stuff would do as well. Customer was delighted, and I was pretty durn astonished!

So, switching to some different ammo might make these little rifles perk up quite nicely!

Hope this helps,

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968