Hornady 38-55 bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike S.
Levergunner 1.0

Hornady 38-55 bullets

Post by Mike S. »

Anyone ever use the Hornady 270 gr. .375 jacketed bullets? I've had good luck with the Barnes 255, but wow the Hornady's are half the price & I was thinking of trying some.

thanks,

Mike
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Hornady 38-55 bullets

Post by Malamute »

I may be mistaken, but I believe the Hornady .375 270 gr bullets are meant for the 375 H&H, not the 38-55, unless it's a new offereing.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hornady makes a 220gr offering that is more suitable for the .38-55 assuming the proper groove diameter for the .375" projectile. Regards, 1886.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

How do you know which diameter to use? I have been told to slug my barrel (haven't yet) I am looking to shoot lead more than likely. When i look at Midway there is a plethera of bullets at different diameters and completely different weights. Can I shoot lighter bullets or is 255 grain the ideal. My Hornady Manual doesnt offer alot of suggestions on this. Any info is a great help.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

YOU DO need to slug your barrel. IF you have a newer rifle like a Browing High Wall or a Winchester commenerative or the like, it will probably have a barrel compatable to .375 Most other INCLUDING the H&R Target have barrels considerably larger and bore size is differtent on many guns even by the same manufacturer .
I have a Savage 1899 in 38-55 made in 1916 will not shoot 375 bullets but will shoot the 377 Barnes with great accuracy . My H&R will shoot cast but with 380 or 381 bollits only .
I have a friend with a Winchester made in the 80s that likes the 375s and he shoots the Hornady 220s nicely. The 270s are made for the 375 H&H, all three of the 375 H&Hs I have owned shot them well. The Speer 235 Semi Spitzers as well
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I will be right up front here. I make a 220-grain .379 jacketed softpoint bullet specifically for use in proper .38-55s, whose original bore diameter was .379. I spent the money several years ago for the swaging equipment after reading an article by Ken Waters decrying the lack of a proper bullet for this caliber, and upon acquiring a new Marlin Cowboy. A .379 jacketed bullet is capable of wonderful accuracy in the Marlin and in the H&R 1871. The reason for the bullet weight being lighter than the classic 255-grain slug has to do with the availability of jackets and the design of same. Sending you a PM.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Bill, I would like some info as well. Please P.M. me. 1886
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

The Speer 235-gr. bullet was specifically designed for and is intended for use in the .375 Win. out of the Contender. The tips can be hammered down for use in a rifle, though.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

First off, what rifle are we talking about? If is a lever, you are limited by what will feed and function in a lever action (short ogive, flat point). If single shot, your options go up if your groove diameter is no overly huge. If you are .377 or under, most 375s will work well to OK. If over that, you are back to ones specifically designed for the 38-55.

The Speer 235 is an overly hard bullet for the very fact that it IS made for the H&H. At 38-55 speeds you will be essentially shooting a solid. If the gun can handle spitzers (i.e., single shot) and it compatible with 375 bullets, the Hornady 225 is a better deer/black bear sized game bullet if you looking for the bullet to expand some on impact, yet it will still hold together pretty well at speeds greater than you could ever generate from a 38-55.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

All that has been said is correct and I would like to add (to directly address your question) that those 270s have been cut off (using a cutoff wheel/saw) to a length at which they weighed 255 gr. and they both shot and performed well. If you use the 270s by cutting them short you will need to invest in a cut-off saw to get the consistency needed for top-flight accuracy.

IME, there is a problem with the 220 gr. Hornady and most .38-55s in combo with .38-55 brass and the normal throat. They don't work together. Even in my modern .375 bore gun the 220s were only usable in the much shorter .375 Win brass. This is due to the cannelure (and thus common seating depth) and ogive.

This is my humble and likely undesirable opinion, use the Barnes or get Mr. Deering to make you up some (if you can) or use cast. Cast bullets are by far the easiest to get. Sometimes you can luck into a stash of factory 255 gr. bullets. Get them.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Hobie wrote:IME, there is a problem with the 220 gr. Hornady and most .38-55s in combo with .38-55 brass and the normal throat. They don't work together. Even in my modern .375 bore gun the 220s were only usable in the much shorter .375 Win brass. This is due to the cannelure (and thus common seating depth) and ogive.
Hence, the two separate bullets of the same weight made by Barnes for the .38-55 and .375. Only difference: cannelure placement.

Hornady, you listenin'???

Scott
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hobie wrote:All that has been said is correct and I would like to add (to directly address your question) that those 270s have been cut off (using a cutoff wheel/saw) to a length at which they weighed 255 gr. and they both shot and performed well. If you use the 270s by cutting them short you will need to invest in a cut-off saw to get the consistency needed for top-flight accuracy.

IME, there is a problem with the 220 gr. Hornady and most .38-55s in combo with .38-55 brass and the normal throat. They don't work together. Even in my modern .375 bore gun the 220s were only usable in the much shorter .375 Win brass. This is due to the cannelure (and thus common seating depth) and ogive.

This is my humble and likely undesirable opinion, use the Barnes or get Mr. Deering to make you up some (if you can) or use cast. Cast bullets are by far the easiest to get. Sometimes you can luck into a stash of factory 255 gr. bullets. Get them.
Hobie is correct, Hornady makes the 220gr for the .375 Win. If I understand your concern correctly, the Lee FCD does not care where one seats the bullet. You can crimp without the cannelure (sp?). I know you know this but it is worth mentioning. If you use the Starline 2.125" brass Lee will make you the FCD for $29.00 shipped. I have not shot any jacketed through any of my .38-55s but I will give Bill's bullets a shot through the CB .38-55. 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IIRC the FCD won't work with the 220s due to the shape of the ogive hence the need for the short .375 Win case in the .38-55 chamber. That gives a COL compatible with the chambers. The 220s didn't work in either my 1893 Marlin OR my new Bullberry Contender barrel otherwise.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson