Long Ago and Far Away

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Long Ago and Far Away

Post by JimT »

My friend Marlin had been wanting a .44 Magnum sixgun for quite a long time. One day he stumbled across a good deal on a Ruger Super Blackhawk Silhouette model and picked it up. Not having an open marriage (one where you can share your affection for your wife with your guns) he asked if I would keep it at my house for awhile until he could "introduce" it gradually into the household. (I am happy to say that I have never had that kind of problem, but I understand that many men do)
So I brought the .44 home. After looking at it awhile I decided to begin using it some. I set it up with a sling on it since it was too long to carry comfortably in any kind of holster other than a scabbard on the horse!

I had gotten several bullet molds from JD Jones at SSK Industries. JD had just recently developed a heavyweight bullet for the .44 and had sent me a couple bullet molds. The 320 gr. bullet was wonderfully accurate and easy to load so I built some loads that ran it around 1350 fps from the six-shooter, and I began carrying it every time I walked out into the hills.

One day I was out in the brush looking to see what I could see when I spotted movement about 200 yards across a small canyon. I thought it was a coyote so I sat down in some brush and got my call out and went to work. I called for awhile and was thinking of giving up when suddenly, right in front of me maybe 20 feet away this pretty little fox materialized out of nowhere!

I had nearly given up on anything coming in and was not even holding the gun. I put the call down, picked up the .44 and the fox looked at me. I said "Hey" and he just looked. So I put a 320 gr. SSK slug through his shoulders and that was that. I brought him home to skin out 'cuz his hide was so pretty. The big slug encountered no more resistance going through him than if I shot through a couple slices of bread, so there was no real damage to the hide.

I did not care for the extra-long barrel. It shot OK but destroyed the handling qualities of the single action sixgun. Seven and half or eight inches is as long as I want the barrels on mine.

I have had experience with even longer single actions.

Back to the 44 SBH ... my friend Marlin kept it for quite awhile but did not use it much. He sold it to another friend who had the barrel shortened and the gun engraved with gold and silver inlay, custom grips etc. It was beautiful! Sadly, it was destroyed in a house fire. I looked at what was left of the gun after it was recovered out of the ashes. The fire had been so hot it melted all the aluminum parts on the gun, melted the inlays and left a warped twisted relic of a sixgun. It was sad.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Long Ago and Far Away

Post by Griff »

Wow! I've never seen but one other "Buntline" SBH. Seen some 10" & 14" models, but that looks much longer! Sad ending after bein' all gussied up. Glad to hear someone made use of it tho for a time. Thanks for sharing the tale.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff - sorry I was not clearer in the post. The super-long barreled gun is not a Ruger. It is a Freedom Arms 454. This is the only way Freedom Arms can export the guns to England. It falls under some archaic rule about overall length and barrel length etc. and allows them to get into the UK.

I understand hacksaws are still legal in the UK and I have an idea what some of the owners of these FA's probably do.

Shooting the long FA was quite an experience. You could feel the barrel vibrate after the shot had gone off. The recoil was quite gentle, back push ... sort of a long shove ... and then a muzzle climb.

It has hard as heck to shoot offhand though!
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Jim
I picked one up one time but never got to shoot it.
It's kinda sad to think of all the guns that pass through our hands and think, what if.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That's a sad story. I like that FA you have slung over your shoulder. I would shoot that sucker like that till the cows came home. No hacksaw needed.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog