My Leverguns Evolution...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

My Leverguns Evolution...

Post by reo »

It started life as a Marlin 336 30-30 Centennial. It had a Marlin scope and mount. Not sure what the power on the scope was but it had a 3 post reticle. I replaced the butt plate and pistol grip cap with a piece of apple wood limb that broke off in a wind storm from our backyard in 1996. I bought an engraver in 1999 and carved the stock, with the Maple leaf, 'checkering'. Midway has the ghost ring sights and lower barrel band swivel on the way. Did a trigger job in 2001. This has been my only high powered rifle for deer and elk, as it will again this year. My dad gave it to me for Christmas in 1986, he got it from a friends pawn ticket in the early 70's. Still want a scout scope on it, maybe next year...Pictures are a little rough.

Last edited by reo on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Re: My Leverguns Evolution...

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Ya done good.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice work
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Thanks guys, I plan on using the Hornady Leverevolution this year on elk and trying a cast on deer if I have a chance to develop a load. If not next year, GW.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I think you did a nice job of making it your own. :P 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Few things better than a well-done personalized firearm!!! 8)
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

You know I looked and I don't see anything wrong with it.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Unique!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Very nice work there.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I like it! It's definately "yours" when you personalize it like this. I usually don't care for carved stocks but that looks great! I just got a 336 RC back from a gunsmith that I bought on gunbroker and had sent to him directly. It's pistol grip cap didn't line up. I took a piece of cedar that I had and carved it to fit - drilled the screw hole and when I put the screw in, it split
:( So, it currently has just the black cap which fits OK - the white spacer was way off.... I may give this another shot and drill the screw hole big enough to prevent the splitting - but then again, the cedar may not be the best wood... Something really hard like ebony or ironwood (available at woodworking stores) would be the best but I like your cherrywood! How about a pic of the butt? I was thinking of doing that as well...

And how has this performed on elk for you in the past? Did you use 170 grain bullets?

Being like most people, I've been subjected to years and years of reading gun mags that repeatedly inform us that the 30-30 isn't 'enough gun' for elk - that something like the .270 Win is the minimum. I think the truth is that it's plenty but you do have to be more selective in your shots... I know that many elk have been taken with the 30-30 and 35 Rem over the years - especially between 1900 and 1960. So what's your experience been? Have they gone down with one shot or do you usually put more in them?

All of my personal experience has been with whitetail deer and smaller... and the 30-30 has no flies on it with deer.

ETA -oh, and if you don't have a sling or one picked out yet, I highly recommend the Montana Sling as seen in this pic from Midway's web site (since you do business with them):

It's fully adjustable and has a unique all leather adjustment system. I have three of these and really like them better than any other sling that I own. It would go perfect on your rifle IMHO. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool! :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

I will get a pic. of the butt on today. I have been looking at those Montana slings. I have three on my Wish List at MidwayUSA. Thanks for the field report I have been reluctant to purchase them. As far as Elk, the 170's have worked fine. I hunt in the timber and I am close. The closest shot was about 30 feet on a cow. Wayne Van Zwoll has a great article on elk hunting and like he says, "Before WWII, the 30-30 was a premier elk cartridge."

The pic. of the butt is up. and I found the link to the Van Zwoll article:
http://inextinc.com/hunting/rulazy.html
Last edited by reo on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah, get close... yep.

And just so you know - those Montana slings are available from Cabelas too. If Midway's are out of stock...

And I have the 1" brown leather models - these slings hold very well for use as a hasty sling and adjust very easily as well - not to mention they just look right on a levergun - to me.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Do you have the 1" or the 1 1/4". I was thinking the later.

Edit-You allready answered, it takes me awhile to post a response.