Ot-Browning GP Comp

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
popeye44
Levergunner

Ot-Browning GP Comp

Post by popeye44 »

Picked up my Browning GP Comp today. Its NIB. Dont have the extra magazine. wrenches. target or case for it.
I know that it will devalue the gun to shoot it but it IT IS BEGGING to be shot.
fm94
Levergunner

Re: Ot-Browning GP Comp

Post by fm94 »

What is a GP Comp?
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

It's a target version of the Browning High Power. Wanted one for years, but they're always a few hundred more than I'm willing to pay. It has a longer barrel, with a extension that clamps on the longer barrel, but looks like part of the slide when the slide is closed. The front sight is mounted on the extension, giving a longer sight radius. Also has an inexpensive, funky looking adjustable rear sight, but I hear they work well. Better trigger than the stock gun. Comes in a matte black and green. Supposed to shoot very well.

Ah, if only I was a rich man :D
gator
Levergunner

Post by gator »

Oh, just go ahead and shoot it. I bought mine back in the early 90's and it is the best shootng 9mm pistol I have ever shot. Mine does show an affinity for the Hornady 147gr. FMJBT though.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Let the next guy worry about what it's worth.

They are super pistols. That rear sight is kinda cheesy but great shooters.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

I need to fill yall in on this pistol. Stopped in the gunshop a couple of months back after being out of
town a while. The owner knows I like the unusual and he pulls this HP out and shows it. He saw that
"just have to have it" looked and had me hooked like a seagull on a chicked bone. Well he was selling
a pistol for me and a customer had just put it on layaway for 60 days. We worked out a deal where I
would get all the money paid for my gun including the comission. The layaway got picked up SA. MON
was GP COMP day. Will let you guys in on how it shoots after my range visit.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU MUST BE CAREFUL WITH THESE AS THEY ARE WITHOUT A DOUBT THE SOFTEST 9MM PARABELLUM PISTOLS I'VE EVER SEEN. I TESTED 1500 LOAD COMBINATIONS IN MINE--10 ROUNDS PER LOAD--AND WHEN I WAS DONE THE INFAMOUS GP COMPETITION WAS A RATTLING HULK OF IT'S FORMER SELF. THE LOADS WERE FROM WIMPY TARGET LOADS TO +P LOADINGS. AT THE END OF THE TESTING THIS PISTOL WOULD NOT PUT THE FIRST TWO BULLETS OUTTA THE MAGAZINE WITHIN 6" OF EACH OTHER.
I ENDED UP HAVING WAYNE NOVAK REBUILD THE PISTOL WITH A NEW BAR-STO BARREL AND A NEW SLIDE MOUNTED PATRIDGE FRONT SIGHT. HE DID A MASTERFUL JOB AND THE PISTOL WAS THEN FAR BETTER THAN WHEN IT WAS BRAND NEW.
INCIDENTLY, THE HOTTEST OF THOSE LOADINGS --115gr BULLETS @ 1325FPS--WAS RETESTED IN TWO OTHER 9MM PISTOLS, A PT99 AND A S&W M3906. A TOTAL OF 10M OF THAT LOAD THROUGH THOSE TWO 9MM PISTOLS WENT EFFORTLESSLY WITH NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER AND BOTH OF THOSE 9MM PISTOLS ARE STILL IN USE THOUGH I'VE SHOT NEITHER IN MANY YEARS NOW.
SOMEWHERE I EVEN STILL HAVE THE GP-COMP CASE, ALL THE SPARE STUFF THAT CAME WITH IT, THE ORIGINAL MAGAZINES, AND THAT ORIGINAL 5" BARREL COMPLETE WITH IT'S FRONT SIGHT.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
JD2
Levergunner

Post by JD2 »

My GP Comp is the best shooting 9mm pistol that I have ever found, even shooting better than the excellent Sig 210. When I was a shooting more often I could get 3/4" five shot groups at 25 yards from My GP Comp. After I bought mine, 5 other friends decided that they had to have one too. I've shot all of these guns, and all but one were extremely accurate, and even that one wasn't bad.

While the rear sight is a bit cheap, everything else on these guns is first rate (Even the rear sight does work well, though... Just looks cheap....). The trigger is good. Quality is first rate. You also pick up some extra velocity from the longer barrel. My most used handload of 8 grains of Blue Dot and a Remington 115 grain jacketed hollow point hits just over 1400 fps from my GP. In 3 to 4 thousand rounds through mine, I've yet to find any indication of any significant loosening or degradation in accuracy. It is still almost as tight as when new, and while it did loosen just a hair in the first couple hundred rounds as the finish polished slightly on the slide rails, it hasn't changed since then. I do keep it well lubed though..

Go ahead and shoot it. You'll probably never fire a more accurate pistol in your life......
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

Guys I took mine to the range today and ran app 100rds of WWUSA 115gr fmj thru it. Accuracy was great but had
lots of doublefeeds, stovepipes,failures of slide to lock open after last round. I think it might be a magazine problem.
I was using a Browning magazine but it was not the standard one. An IPSC style one with very heavy feeding spring.
Plastic feed ramp. plastic bottom bumper w/ejection spring. Will try the original magazine next time at the range. I
have no plans to hotrod this pistol with plus or plusplus ammo. If I need more horsepower theres my govt modal 45.