OT - Anyone know why Taurus dropped all 22RF rifles?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Anyone know why Taurus dropped all 22RF rifles?

Post by airedaleman »

Just checked the Taurus website and found that both the pump guns and the autoloaders have been discontinued. What's with that?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Re: OT - Anyone know why Taurus dropped all 22RF rifles?

Post by 41_Marlin »

I had one that repeatedly broke firing pins.
Gave it away.

Maybe they are reworking them.
Maybe the didn't sell well enough.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I foolishly bought a model 63 semiauto. There is no doubt in my mind why they quit, and good for them!! :shock: :x
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

They quit because it was the right thing to do.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I know when Rossi was making the model 62 Winchester clone pump 22 allot of folks spoke highly of them. I wonder if Taurus taking over had negative impact on quality control. I bought one of their model 62LAR 22 leverguns in stainless steel a couple years back and after a little work shimming the lever to eliminate excess play, and removing that lousy bolt mounted safety, and adding on their tang sight I was VERY happy with the end product. Seems this model may have some collector value in the future due to low production numbers and unique design. :|
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

I love my pump. Glad I got it. I am happy with my Thunderbolt too.

I'm guessing quality issues and production costs are the reasons. First the Gauchos, now the 22 rifles, I bet the Thunderbolts are gone to.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

My Rossi pump .22 is the first rifle I ever bought for myself. My parents used to take us to Ambler, AK every summer and the local lodge that had a gunstore was going out of business. My friend George rode by on his 3 wheeler with one in his hand, and he told me about the sale. They were selling out the gunstore for half off on everything in the place. I had coveted one of these Rossi .22s for a year or two already because my friend Alvin had one in the gallery length that just impressed me to no end. I had also had a good time at the fair shooting a Remington .22 pump action and found that I liked a slide action.

I was 19, and since I was a college student and still living at home, I asked my dad if he would mind if I bought one for myself. I then went over and settled for one with the standard length barrel because the gallery length guns were all sold out. It cost me somewhere around 92.00, if I remember correctly. This was in 1983, and there were no 4473 forms to fill out or anything either. I just gave the man my cash and took the new rifle. It's been an accurate and handy .22 rifle, and is largely the reason I've never owned a Ruger 10/22. My gun has been everything I need in a .22 rifle and it will work with CB loads, shorts, longs, and long rifles. The only improvement I could ask for would be a gallery gun length barrel. That would be about perfect.

I've been intrigued by the stainless steel versions of this rifle that Taurus makes, but I haven't bought one of them either. It's too bad they aren't being made anymore.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

This might be a good signal for Winchester to start making them here again! While they are at it, they can make a batch of Model 61 hammerless pumps in 22LR and 22 Mag. with grooved receiver.
Hey Ak Ray: You mentioned not having to fill out a 4473 in 1983. If I remember correctly, I bought my first rifle in 1977 and had to fill out a federal form. I believe then it was called a 4473 also. They were yellow at that time and of course there was no background check. Now they are white and require a background check. I believe the GCA of 68 ushered in the 4473 form. Anyone know about that one?
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I couldn't find the info stating 22RFs were discontinued, but found this:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunse ... ?series=R3
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 4473 form was indeed introduced in 1968 with the passage of the GCA68.

We've had two of the Rossi versions of the little pump rifle. Both of them standard barrel lengths. Both worked quite well.

It could be that Taurus buggered them up so bad with the toggle switch on the bolt, and the key lock in the hammer that no body wanted them any more. That's the way I felt. I kind of wanted one of the long barreled ones too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have the Rossi from 1975. It is a fine gun. The Taurus did not retain the quality that early Rossi exhibited PLUS they put that silly safety selector switch on the top side. I have 2 Rossi made guns, the 22 pump and the coach gun. Both are well made. I own no Tauruses.

TomF