Wichester Model 94 AE--.357 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Wichester Model 94 AE--.357 mag

Post by milton »

I suppose that some of the members of this forum either shoot or have shot thier Winchesters in Cowboy competition. With this experience in mind does the above noted Winchester have any weak spots or places/parts especially prone to break or wear out in competition?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wichester Model 94 AE--.357 mag

Post by pharmseller »

Milton,
I don't shoot CAS, but a buddy of mine is really into it. He retired from his job and now rebuilds rifles for CAS. From what he tells me the model 94 is a poor choice for serious CAS competitors because of the long lever throw. Speed is a critical element (accuracy always wins) and a long lever throw takes significantly more time. Just my 2 cents.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Quinn,
Thank you very much ! I do not plan on using this rifle for competition I just wanted to know if any weak points showed up in competition or necessary frequent repairs.In a rifle designed around longer cartridges I would like to know if the shorter cartridge gives any problems concerning springs ,lifter,feed mechanism etc.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've got two. Don't use them for anything but carrying, hunting, plinking.

Neither has any feed issues with 38spcl or 357mag. My 44mags and 45colts also cycle without any problems.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thanks for the help ! Thats what I was hoping to hear !!!!!
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

My 94 AE Trapper .357 handles anything I've put through it. Haven't tried .38 wadcutter, but that's where it may get balky. Not even going to try.

Out to 50 yds anything fed through it (.357 or .38; 158-, 146-, 130-, 110-gr) goes into a 6"-7" area, with different loads/bullet weights putting groups at different elevations within that area, but all without making any correction or sight adjustment. It's a keeper.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

One of the longstanding issues that crops up every few months is the "nub" on the forward part of the link gets worn down and begins to allow cartridges under the lifter (carrier) and jamming. New links are available from Browning still, but... they'll eventually dry up and we'll be left with rebuilding the "cartridge stop" in order to keep that from happening. There is a specific height and angle it needs to have to work properly.

And to be completely honest, although I think Winchester did us all a disservice by redesigning the 94 into a pistol caliber rifle; the Mdl 92 is just SO MUCH better for pistol length cartridge; if that is the only consistent problem, it's one heck of a package.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Wadcutters cycle fine too.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
trapperman
Levergunner

Post by trapperman »

I purchased a nearly 100% 94AE trapper yesterday and I have a problem. The rifle does not want to consistantly feed any of the 38/357 I have. The feed is sloppy and the soft point occasionally catches the sharp edge of the breech. This is perplexing considering I already have one that feeds everything. The one I already had, I purchased approx. 10 yrs ago. If you lay the rifles side by side, they look identical. They are not. The one I purchased yesterday has a lower serial number than the one I purchased 10 yrs ago. I compared the feed mech to see if I could see any difference. The lift plate/carrier is thinner, at least a 1/16 in gap on each side. Does anyone know if the new old gun can be retrofit with the newer parts and what the cost would be?

Thanks for any assistance!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

10 U341450220 CARRIER 357 MAG. $26.00
12 U342000360 CARTRIDGE GUIDE LEFT 357 MAG. $17.00
13 U342000320 CARTRIDGE GUIDE RIGHT 357 MAG $17.00

If you're going to replace the carrier, then I'd recommend you replacing the left and right hand guides also.

However, before you go buying new parts, you may try putting a thin shim behind the left hand shim to reduce the space between them. I also recommend building a "dummy" cartridge (for safety) and do the following:

But, first I'd carefully watch the point at which the cartridge base rises thru the guide slots. This the critical point at which the nose needs to be headed into the chamber. If the carrier is a little short, too long or too low, the nose won't be in a position to enter the chamber cleanly.

In trying to fit the guides and carrier, disassembly and assembly is a tedious process; to shorten up that process, try some chewing gum (or something else that'll clean off easily and yet provide a surface upon which the cartridge won't slip), on the bottom of the carrier to lift the cartridge a little bit, try some against the back of the carrier to move the cartridge a little closer to the chamber as the base rises between the guides. Also, you can take out the left carrier enough to get a slight shim behind it without completely disassembling the rifle. Hint: tweezers can be your friend, along with a magnifying glass.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
trapperman
Levergunner

Post by trapperman »

Thanks Griff!

I'm an enthusiast, not a gunsmith. Now that I know it is a known issue and parts can be replaced, I will probably have a competent gunsmith take care of the issue. Normally, if I have an issue with a particular make and model, I replace it with something else. In this case, I love the first one and decided it would be my 10y old daughters' first deer rifle. So I gave it to her last year with the expectation that someday it will leave my collection. She did it proud with a first hunting season, first day, and perfect shot on a mature doe.

I bought the new old gun as a replacement for me. Hopefully, it will end up as nice as the first one.

Thanks again.