Steven's 44 Info needed.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Steven's 44 Info needed.

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, it does have a lever!

Buddy of mine just acquired a Stevens 44, Model 45 single shot rifle. He is looking for info on these rifles. Anyone know where I can find info on year of manufacturing etc.?

Rifle is caliber 32-40. 1/2 round-1/2 Octagon barrel. Serial #018XXX

Pretty neat old girl, and still shots extremely well! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Try looking around on the single shot exchange and Google some of the Schutzen rifle sites. that would be their cup of tea.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There's an MSN Group dedicated to BPCR and they have a brain trust that includes many very knowledgeable fellars about such rifles. I don't recall the link, but should get my weekly update today, and I'll try to post the link.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Stevens single shot rifles are very hard to nail down as to year of mfg. Especially the 44, as it's range of mfg. spans a lot of years! (1894-1947) James Grant's book, "Single Shot Rifles" and "More Single Shot Rifles" are two wonderful choices!
Because of the caliber it's chambered for, I'd be confident in saying it's pre WWI, and probably even earlier than around 1910.
Probably have more info than anyplace else for Stevens single shots.
Tell your friend to be EXTREMELY careful shooting his 44 in .32-40! Keep the loads to blackpowder levels, and nothing high pressure! Stevens dropped the .32-40 caliber, (along with a lot of other calibers!) in the 44 frame, as they shot loose after modern smokeless ammo became popular. The pins and screws will wear rapidly, and headspacing will be a real issue pretty fast, with modern loads for the .32-40.-Vall
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Stevens Ideal Model 45 was essentially the same as the Model 44 except in it's appointments - like a slightly heavier barrel & target sights as standard equipment.
It came standard with a 26" rimfire or 28" centerfire half-octagon bbl, but lighter or heavier barrels were a no-cost option, with double-set triggers a $6 option. No checkering.
IIRC, it was introduced in 1896, and discontinued in 1916.

The Model 44 was likwise introduced in 1896, AFAIK, but continued to 1933.

Stevens was one of the largest, most prolific manufacturers of firearms in the world, back then.
Given your gun's serial number of 18,000, I would put it's manufacture earlier - close to 1902-1905, give/take.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Stevens serial numbers were all over the place, they followed no logical pattern. I had a Stevens Favorite serial numbered 01! But the features indicated it was made around 1900-1904, about 10 years after they first started making them. Marlinman is right on, the 44 is a weak action, they eventually, IIRC, only made them in the smaller pistol type calibers (44-40, etc). You definitley need Grants books (also DeHass) to narrow the date down. (Warning, once you read Grants books you will not only be a lever gun fan you will also become a single shot fan!! Trust me...it gets expensive!!) Also, Pope made bbls for these guns and they will command a big premium from collectors, not to mention shoot very well.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

I guess I should clarify...Pope made barrels for SOME of these guns. If I can dig out my copy of Grants, I'll try to find how these guns were marked.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pope barreled Stevens rifles were marked, "Stevens-Pope" on the barrels. They were also separately serial numbered under the forearm ood. Long after Pope left Stevens, Ross made Pope type barrels, and Stevens continued to mark them the sae ay until Pope threatened them with a law suit. Stevens -Pope barrels with serial numbers up to around 1200 are definitely made by Pope, but higher were most likey made by Ross.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Wow, you guys are tops. Thanks for the information. I have printed this out for him.

Maybe I can get some pics taken of the rifle. He is a talented gunsmith, and has rebuilt it from a wreak. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

heres a model 414 <built>

1st 25 yd group after mounting the lyman