Feel bad for my local gun-shop owner.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Feel bad for my local gun-shop owner.

Post by rangerider7 »

He is a good friend and person. He lost his shop this weekend when the ATF took his FFL away. A gunsmith that he had hired a few years back would take some of his guns to the shows to sale for him. The gunsmith fail to inform him that he had not renewed his license. The ATF found this out after my local dealer had been burglarized and they looked at his books. This has been almost a year ago. They informed him of what they had found Saturday in a letter and that he had 30 days to liquidate. The gunsmith has pleaded guilty and is serving 8 years in federal prison. Guns are all he does or did. He is old enough to retire but I'm sure he would have liked it to have been on his terms. The gunsmith was a former policeman. It amazes me sometimes what people will do to others that have helped them in time of need. This guy needed a job when he was sick and divorced and this is how he repays the owner. I know the owner should have checked the gunsmith himself instead of taking him at his word but it still %&**^$ me off.
"That'll Be The Day"
popeye44
Levergunner

Re: Feel bad for my local gun-shop owner.

Post by popeye44 »

Is there no appeal process? Most of the gun shop owners I have dealt with seem to have a couple friends
who are connected to the feds in some way.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

It seems this agent is pretty cut and dry about it. I'm going to talk with my friend Wednesday. Today he was angry and in shock. I thought it best we talk later.
"That'll Be The Day"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I too, feel badly for your friend.

He should probably appeal the agent's message to ATF superiors in writing (attorney), but not with any great expectation.

I'm sure they'll rubber-stamp the agent, citing "lack of due dilligence".

Sad.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Just something else the government's got no business sticking it's useless nose into.

The sale and repair of firearms.

I wonder if Barnes and Noble needs a federal license?

:evil:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Thats a shame. The shop near me was just audited last week. the owner said he was sweating bullets,no pun intended, all week. He said the agent was very professional and nice. He received a 100%. He attributes that to his wife who is very strict with the guys about the paper work. Hate to hear that your friend is out of business.
Ricky

DWWC
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

It really is ashame that someone's word just isn't good enough anymore.

And in today's environment, it's a definite CYA business.

Hope everything works out for him.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

Can your friend go after the gunsmith for damages? I figure that there is not much there but it might be worth a try. He may come into some money in the future.
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

How many businesses in this country can get the doors shut almost immediately for good due to clerical error?
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. This is happening all over the country. A shop I used to
visit often years ago is reportedly being shut down due to clerical errors as well. Obviously,
there is an agenda besides "good record keeping" at work here. :roll:

Brace yourselves; if the Dems win this election, I fear it will make the 8 years under Klinton
look like a walk in the park.

:x
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am sorry. I offer my prayers for your friend and his provision in the years to come.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Sorry to hear that, the feds need to be shut down in so many ways...
Molon Labe
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That is sad. I don't see how he can do anything at this point - the "gunsmith" I am sure has nothing to sue for.

The ATF is being their usual A hole selves - that agent is going to get an accomodation I am sure for uncovering this "big bust" :x

But it is ironic that an ex cop is busted over this kind of violation - I am sure that he had to enforce similar type laws in his time and now he's getting a taste of being on the other side. Crappy thing when it happens to anybody and I'm sure its especially hard for him.

Hope he pulls through it OK.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm sorry, but Wayne LaPierre hit this one on the head years ago - "jack-booted thugs". I have one basic question - where was the "intent" here? No one was harmed, and the shop owner had no intent on doing anything illegal. This is indeed, at most, a simple clerical error. At worst it is fraud on the part of the gunsmith. If the latter, than I can see the punishment the gunsmith is receiving is warranted (though I think this is overkill - especially for an ex-cop), but this should not have caused the shop owner to lose his livelihood.

Once again, if stuff like this happens under a Republican administration, how bad do you think it will be under Snobama?

This is a classic example of why 99.9% of bureaucrats should be hanged... :evil: