rumors of new savage M 99

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

rumors of new savage M 99

Post by tomtex »

On this site I have read in the past of Savage remaking the M 99, Well it's not out yet , may be Savage need help with design changes or with what the market wants in a new M99, metal ,finesses, type of stock,type of cal (556mm to 308 cal, hand gun cal 500,460 to 357 cal, shot gun cal, rd's in the mag, type of sights, scout type, barrel Lt, barrel type, ECT. :arrow: -- maybe the members of Leverguns.com, can post here what they want to buy :?:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: rumors of new savage M 99

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd like to see it in .22 Hornet, but I know that wouldn't be a popular choice.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I am in the minority, not the first time, but I say let it be. It went for a reason.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Andrew, all guns cease production for a reason, that's not to say that those reasons can't be overcome. I think that in the case of the 99 it was production cost vs marketable cost. Perhaps investment cast receivers and CNC can bring it back.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I hope it comes back. They are a nice rifle and are very useful in my book. If I ever had a voice in the matter I'd sure vote for 250-3000 as a caliber option. They may have to make it a little less expensive in places, as in box magazine and blued levers, etc. I'd buy one in most any caliber they put them out in. I'm sure 7mm08 would sell well for them too.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wes wrote:I hope it comes back. They are a nice rifle and are very useful in my book. If I ever had a voice in the matter I'd sure vote for 250-3000 as a caliber option. They may have to make it a little less expensive in places, as in box magazine and blued levers, etc. I'd buy one in most any caliber they put them out in. I'm sure 7mm08 would sell well for them too.
Yes, 250-3000 with a 1:10 twist rate and with the stock config like they had in the 50's - not the more recent ones. And they need the rotary mag with brass follower and counter window.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i'd like to see it made in the old src. configuration with a 20' barrel and rotary magazine, chamber it in .308, 358, 338 federal and the new 30 thompson center. 8)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I would be interested if it had the rotary magazine. If it had a box magazine I just wouldn't bother.

.250 Savage, or 300 Savage.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

.250/3000, .308, and .358 Win or .338 Federal - but no "econo", "commemorative". "anniversary", "limited edition", or otherwise super grade model(s) - just a nice, walnut-stocked & checkered Deluxe, with the rotary magazine, Thank You.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Hobie wrote:Andrew, all guns cease production for a reason, that's not to say that those reasons can't be overcome.
Yep, I know, I just don't like them. :D As I said, Minority=Andrew :lol:
Hobie wrote: I think that in the case of the 99 it was production cost vs marketable cost. Perhaps investment cast receivers and CNC can bring it back.
It's amazing to see what different processes and/or materials can do to a production process. You are right about that, it could very well make it a profitable gun again if interest was high enough.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
specops
Levergunner

Post by specops »

I would love to see them bring the 99 back as well. I have to believe with investment casing and CNC they could be economical. I'd take a perch belly stock and octogon barrel in 30/30 and straight stock A models in 250-3000, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, (already have one in 308), 358 Win, and if we are going to shoot the works 375-284. It would be interesting to see if the WSSM or RUSM cartridges would feed through the rotary mag. That would open up another whole range of opportunities. Also wonder why you couldn't stretch the 99 frame a little more and chamber it for standard length cartridges as well? Pressures are no different that 308 family. I know MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER's are chambered for standard length cartridges and I seem to remember seeing one in 375 H & H though I don't know if it had the rotary mag like the normal ones.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
Wes wrote:I hope it comes back. They are a nice rifle and are very useful in my book. If I ever had a voice in the matter I'd sure vote for 250-3000 as a caliber option. They may have to make it a little less expensive in places, as in box magazine and blued levers, etc. I'd buy one in most any caliber they put them out in. I'm sure 7mm08 would sell well for them too.
Yes, 250-3000 with a 1:10 twist rate and with the stock config like they had in the 50's - not the more recent ones. And they need the rotary mag with brass follower and counter window.
What he said!
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I've got a m-99 in .30-30. It is from late thirties. I would love one in .308 that I could scope. It would be a darn nice rifle. I keep on the lookout for used ones but they are hard to come by in these parts. I think new ones would sell.

8)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, I was just going to post some new information on this topic on a new thread, then I saw this! While I was at the Billy Dixon event in CO, I was able to spend time with Mic McPherson who has close ties to Savage. I asked him about the rumor of a new '99, and he indicated that it should be out at the next SHOT SHOW! It will have the rotary magazine but it is hard to forsee what the initial caliber offerings will be. He did indicate that the 284 Win would eventually be one of them, as well as some wildcats built on the 284 case in 35 and maybe even 416 caliber! A likely choice for initial offering will be 308 Win. but we will have to wait and see. I thought you guys would want to know.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have one in .250-3000, and as much as I admire the 99, it is just too heavy for the caliber. Now something that would handle a beefy .40+ caliber would get very interesting.
By the way, you should have seen the look on the tracker's face when my brother uncased his .300 Savage 99 in Namibia last year.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I want a featherweight takedown, with optional factory fitted second barrel/chambering options. I'd go for a 243/260/7-08 paired with a 358. Or a 6.5-284 mated to a 35-284 wildcat would be interesting.

I don't mind the box mag too much, but I'm glad to hear it will be rotary mag.
Chad
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

The never ending cycle with guns... They are labor intensive so you look to ways to cheapen production, you drop the rotary for a stamped clip, you change the stock from walnuut to birch, you change the safety, discontinue options and less and less are sold 'cause nobody wants the cheapened gun. Savage 99, Winchester M92, 71, 86, 94... Marlins are all made on 2 frames now and models are dropping like flies. I hold little hope for the new Mossberg as the ones I have seen are decidedly cheap looking. The only option now days seems to be make it overseas and if the dollar drops any more even that option will dry up.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:I would be interested if it had the rotary magazine. If it had a box magazine I just wouldn't bother.
I'm exactly the opposite. Put a proper detatchable box magazine (10rds+) on it and I'm all over it... 7.62NATO/.308 being my initial preference...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I am really excited over the prospect of a new 99. Savage has been putting out some nice bolt rifles of late with good lumber and nice bluing. Perhaps the new 99 will be done right as well. I sure would like to see a straight stocked carbine or a close replica of the post war F in 7mm-08. I would be sorely tempted by a 358 as well.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Could Savage chamber the M 99 for the S&W 500 cal and S&W 460 cal ,so one could carrie both the M 99 and S&W hand guns in the same cal's :?:
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I would absolutely LOVE a .308 M99. I already have a .308 BLR and my oldest boy is hot to get his hands on it. I have planned on keeping it, but if I could get a nice .308 M99 I might just be willing to give it up.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KCSO wrote:Savage 99, Winchester M92, 71, 86, 94... Marlins are all made on 2 frames now and models are dropping like flies.
What's it mean "made on 2 frames...?"
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

AJMD429 wrote:
KCSO wrote:Savage 99, Winchester M92, 71, 86, 94... Marlins are all made on 2 frames now and models are dropping like flies.
What's it mean "made on 2 frames...?"
The 336 round bolt (30-30 et al.) and the 94 square bolt (pistol calibers).
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I think if the 99 is reintroduced - in any guise - be prepared to reach deep into your wallet. It is not a simple design (especially the rotary magazine version), and Savage will count on us wanting one badly enough to pay the freight. I know I won't be able to afford one. It will be very interesting to see what develops.
(I wish I still had my 99EG in .300 Savage; hard times here and there separated it and all my other firearms from me. At least I did have them over the course of the years...)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
slabsides
Levergunner

Post by slabsides »

I'd be tempted if it were re-created in the style of the 30's-40's: straight comb, schnable forend,
iron sights, and of COURSE, brass cartridge-counter rotary magazine! I've had a jones on for one just like the one Roy Chapman Andrews took to the Gobi desert when I was a kid, ever since I saw a pic of him with the rifle in National Geographic. Never saw one when I was flush.
Oh, and make it in .250-3000, with a twist to handle long hundred-grain bullets (modern hundred-grainers can handle some mighty tough targets) and .308 (in lieu of the more decrepit .300 Savage) and .284, for us 7mm nuts (7-08 wouldn't thrill me half as much.)
As for such numbskulleries as .480 and .500 pistol calibers: PUH-LEEESE!
The Wise said: "This cannot be done." The Fool came, and did it.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

CowboyTutt wrote:He did indicate that the 284 Win would eventually be one of them, as well as some wildcats built on the 284 case in 35 and maybe even 416 caliber!
I always wanted an 88 or 99 in 284. I'm amazed that it's still hanging on. Probably due to the 6.5-284 being all the rage and not specifically the 284 itself. Not that there's anything wrong with the 284 in my mind ... rebated rim and all. I really probably don't own one in the 88 due to an aversion to basket-weave. It reminds me too much of wicker furniture ... which often self destructs down here in our humidity. How's that for twisted rationale.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:...an aversion to basket-weave. It reminds me too much of wicker furniture
You, too, huh? Blecchhh!!! :shock:

However, I kinda like it on some holsters, for some reason. But, definitely not on stocks. Go figure.

As for the M99, we spent Thanksgiving at one of my best friend's parents' house in uptown New Orleans last year, and they had a near-mint M99 that was a family heirloom in .303 Sav. with rotary magazine sitting on the mantle. They aren't rifle people and it's really just a decoration for them. I was drooling that day, but it wasn't just from the turkey.

Scott
Last edited by RSY on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

what about Savage M99 chambered in 4570 CAL and 410 shotgun with only the last part of the barrel rifled :idea: :?:
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Andrew wrote:I am in the minority, not the first time, but I say let it be. It went for a reason.
I watched one of the gun shows on TV last night and they led off with a segment on Savage. They toured the plant and interviewed the company president. No, he did not announce the return of the 99, but he did give the reason for it being discontinued.

In 1988 Savage was facing bankruptcy after having been gobbled up by several different non-firearms conglomerates over the years. He said they had too many different lines of guns, most of which were unprofitable. They decided to concentrate on one rifle, do it well and turn a profit. That model was the 110 bolt action (called the 110 because it originally sold for $110).

The only mention of the 99 was interesing though. Early in the 20th century Savage Arms received an unsolicited endorsement from an American Indian chief (whose name I do not recall). He wrote the company about how much he liked the Model 99. The company worked out a deal where he would promote the rifle personally and he agreed to Savage using his likeness in full headress as the company logo. In return Savage provided Model 99's to his tribe. This is how I remember the story, but as a caveat, I was on pain medicine for a bad back last night, so don't hold me to all of the details :oops: !

I'll offer my own endorsement of Savage. I recently bought a MkII BV .22 lr that is stupid accurate. I have been learning to shoot it and trying different ammo and it will shoot ragged one hole dime sized groups at 50 yds, scoped with a cheap Tasco Varmint and using $4 a box SK ammo. Savage, if you are interested, I will continue to endorse your products in return for the first new Model 99 off the line :D
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
mgrau
Levergunner

Post by mgrau »

I was able to pick up an M99 F Lightweight last fall when I got back from Iraq. When I've seen them in the midwest the prices have been unbelievable. I felt good getting it for $550 and it is in shooter shape - smooth / solid action, OK bluing, no finish left on wood, off-center front sling swivel, cheap 6X scope. BUT it is the brass rotary mag version and seems to be compact and handy. Unfortunately I have been transferred to a "less gun friendly" area. I haven't even had a chance to load it and it will sit in the safe for 3-4 years minimum before I can think about shooting it. Such is life. I am glad to hear they may be coming back though.
Mat