OT - Best 9mm semi-auto carbine for the $?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Best 9mm semi-auto carbine for the $?

Post by homefront »

I'm interested in getting a 9mm semi-auto pistol/carbine combination. I once had a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP that took standard 1911 magazines, handled well, and added some zip to the cartridge. I traded it long ago due to lack of interest, but my mind is changing again, as it often does these days.

Kel Tec makes one, that takes Glock magazines:
http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_Sub2000.htm

Hi-Point also makes one, that is aesthetically challenged:
http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbine.asp

Are there any others I'm overlooking?
No, I don't want to spend the kind of money it takes to get an AR or H&K.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Best 9mm semi-auto carbine for the $?

Post by Paladin »

I carry a MP-5 here, but during testing of some weapons back in the states for the State Police. The Beretta Carbine Cx4 worked well along with the Ruger Camp Carbine. When looking at carbines look at the magazine it is the week link in the system. Go for something that takes established mags. Beretta, Glock, or some other mag that you know works and is easy to get. The AR-15 system uses modified UZI mags so they work well.
It is not the critic who counts
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

The only one I know of is the Beretta CX4. I don't know how it compares pricewise.

http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%20CX4 ... storm1.htm

http://www.berettahq.com/category/486-B ... rbine.aspx (includes prices)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I love my Ruger PC9. Functions perfectly and very accurate. Mine has the ghost ring sights on it and built in mount for Ruger rings. Like a 10/22 on steroids. Fun little carbine that anyone in the house can handle.

Only issue I've had is finding reliable mags over the factory 15s. I have two 20 rnd aftermarket that work well but the rest have been junk.

I think Ruger has discontinued the PC4 ( 40 S&W) but I don't know about the 9mm. There's plenty of used ones out there.

I was always hoping they would chamber it in a 45 & 10mm.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

The Beretta Storm is sexy and a good value, but my personal opinion holds that the Vector Uzi Carbine is the best value. Yes, they are heavy and old-school. Uzi mags are inexpensive right now; surplus German 32s can be had for $15. When in stock the Vector Uzi Carbine can be had for around $700 or less from Atlantic Firearms. I can break claybirds resting onedge on the 100 yd berm with mine, no problem.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's my Sub2000 - Glock model. Takes the 33 round Glock 18 mags now available for $20/ea on sale.

Shoots good and folds up for easy transport - in fact, it fits nicely into a small daypack.

Here's a link to a video of me shooting it at the range with some target pics to give you an idea of capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYrEtyEpeLM

These are some times referred to as "trailer park uzi's" right Noah? But it's hard to beat the $350 price tag.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

What's the reliability like on that "trailer park Uzi"? FTF, FTC FTE?
I read one report that said that within 50-100 rounds the gun had to be cleaned, or powder residue would cause failures.
Of course, it may not have been broken in, may have been cleaned improperly, may have used garbage ammo, etc., non of that was touched on (or the operator had no clue).
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

homefront wrote:What's the reliability like on that "trailer park Uzi"? FTF, FTC FTE?
I read one report that said that within 50-100 rounds the gun had to be cleaned, or powder residue would cause failures.
Of course, it may not have been broken in, may have been cleaned improperly, may have used garbage ammo, etc., non of that was touched on (or the operator had no clue).
Well, I shoot white box winny and it's not getting very dirty at all. Certainly not enough to effect function. I shot four mag fulls (120 rounds) and had one stovepipe at the end of the last mag - which you can see me clearing at the end of the video.

Speaking of cleaning, these are really easy to clean -when you break them in half, the chamber is exposed and you just run the cleaning rod through to the muzzle. Disassembly is easy too.

I do recommend installing a hogue hand-all rubber grip around the pistol grip.

And don't waste any money on the buttstock pad thingy - like you see there - it falls off really easy and is s PITA - the issue butt is just fine.

These are not as classy and less ergonomic than the Berrettas but they are about 1/2 the price and are good shooters. And you can get em to take the Glock mags...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

That's a pretty good endorsement, and I would like to pair the carbine with a pistol using the same mags.
I guess I have to find one to look at.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

While the mags are not interchangeable (they are cheap), you might look at the Hi Point for about $200-250 real world. A friend bought one in .40 and we went through about 300 rounds of steel cased Wolf one afternoon without a hint of a stutter. Accuracy was far above our expectations. That was four months ago and he is still thrilled. The rest of his safe is taken over with Sakos and Weatherby's. Go figure. It IS so homely that the only thing you will ever assault with it are your sensibilities.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Image

That thing looks awesome. I don't know if it would suit me but it sure looks compact, and I love how it folds up.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I don't know a lot about 9mm carbines but a friend of mine was showing me his hi-point and we shot it. I was amazed at the accuracy. We were shooting a 6" gong at 200yds(paced) and hitting it every time. Functioned flawlessly with over 1000rds through it with periodic cleaning of course untill he was shooting some of that steel case Wolf ammo through it when one of those cases blew. I was there when it happened and I can tell you that it was an extremely hot load in that case to have caused that and what amazed me the most was that the gun was not wrecked but tied up. After some work, I dissassembled it for him and showed him the case which was split. The only damage to the gun was that it stretched the chamber pretty good. He called up hi-point and they sent him another carbine just like it in exchange for his old one with no charge which sold him on the little rifle.

I never liked the looks of the hi-point personally as I am a walnut, traditionalist all the way but I had to admit that accuracy and reliability were apparent with the carbine.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have these two, and they are both reliable, although the Ruger just seems more rugged.

Neither work well except with factory magazines, which restricts THIS one to 10 shots...

...and THIS one to 100 shots... :mrgreen:

(The stock collapses to just forward of the back of the magazine.)

I STILL would grab my .45 Colt levergun for most bumps in the night, though...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

My wife showed a bit of interest in shooting a little while back, but didn't like the 9mm pistol or the shotty, but loved the .22 so when I decided to get her something for home defense I thought I would try the 9mm carbine. A buddy had a Hi Point and while it was ugly is seemed to work pretty well so I got one for her to try planning on getting a berreta if she liked it. But after getting the Hi Point and shooting the berreta I happen to like the lil hi point better. I have shot several thousand rounds and most of it cheap stuff and have yet to get either a FTF or a FTE. It just shoots, straight and every time. It is ugly, but fun and both my boys and my daughter love to shoot it. In fact since my wife has not decided she didn't really want to shoot I gave it to my oldest (14) and he shoots it regularly! Long story short the only complaint that I have is the 10shot mag. If they made good 15 to 20 round mags for the thing I would have a couple more. One of the best $190 investments ever!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, so it's not a 9mm.

And they both don't shoot from the same magazine.

But they both do shoot the same round, and are a heck of a fun combo!!! :D

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Okay, so it's not a 9mm.

And they both don't shoot from the same magazine.

But they both do shoot the same round, and are a heck of a fun combo!!! :D
The cool thing about that revolver is that if you miss the bad guy, he'll still be DEAF...!

Those .30 Carbine pistols are the loudest firearms I've ever heard.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I have an Hi-point 9mm carbine that I bought used last year for $99 at a pawnshop.
Since then it has seen roughly 1500rds of several different kinds of ammo including handloads.
Not one miss fire or jam. Sure its "ugly" but with performance and the price who cars.
Also very accurate and settles back onto the target quick.
I'd buy another. They also come with a no questions asked lifetime warranty.
They have been guys who have tried to bake paint on by putting them in the oven :roll: only to melt the stock be on repair. They send them back to Hi-point, and Hi-point replaces and fix the rifle at no cost.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

I have a used Marlin Camp 9, which I got for € 110 ... and THREE 20 rounders from MecGar which set me back € 100, too.

Trigger is not the best one, but with a good lubricant and training it´s no problem. Accuracy depends on ammo! The trajectory of the 9 mm makes this a 100 meter TOPS gun. Yes, the 9 mm´s DO speed up in the longer barrel. Still, it´s no 5.56 ...

NEVER touch the mags while shooting, or else they will jam!

Otherwise no jams, regardless of ammo.

I got some ( cheap ) spare parts, I intend to hold on to this gun for long, as ammo is cheap and there is NO muzzle blast at training. Also it looks unobtrusive.

Had mounted an EoTech ( with night vision capability ), but that threw the whole little gun out of balance. Too heavy, too topheavy. I´m using Win 94 open sights now ( removed from one of my 94´s for something better )(still work fine on the Marlin for short range self defense ).

I would be VERY grateful for any comments on longevity of selected parts - what to look for and stock up?

Hermann
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I like Free... but then there is the pesky ATF Maker's/NFA/Class-III fees... at least as long as there is an ATF anyway... :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Old Ironsights wrote:I like Free... but then there is the pesky ATF Maker's/NFA/Class-III fees... at least as long as there is an ATF anyway... :evil:
WAY COOL!!!
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

homefront wrote: Hi-Point also makes one, that is aesthetically challenged:

That can be changed:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/STKHIPT.aspx

Bruce
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

bcp wrote:
homefront wrote: Hi-Point also makes one, that is aesthetically challenged:

That can be changed:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/STKHIPT.aspx

Bruce
Looks better but it's still limited to 10 round mags, I much prefer 33 round mags. Also, it now costs almost as much as a Kel-Tec and doesn't fold. The scope is silly on a pistol caliber carbine IMHO. The Kel-Tec has an aperture site which works good even with "old eyes".

This reminds me of poeple that buy an SKS for the price and then get all kinds of stuff trying to make it into an AK and end up spending more than just buying the AK. Nothing against the SKS - is great as-is.

You could fabricate your own higher capacity mags though - as shown on that home gunsmith site.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!