Newbie question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Newbie question

Post by Streetstar »

Will a 1886 Winchester chambered in 45/90 also chamber and fire a 45/70 or is that a flirting’ with disaster proposition

The recent thread about Marlin Price’s and I think I made the comment that they are now heading towards 1886 prices got me curious so I started looking and sure enough found a couple of 1886,s that look interesting to me

Thanks in advance gentlemen
Last edited by Streetstar on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Newbie question

Post by Griff »

Yes. Similar to Spls. vs Magnums in both .38 & .44 flavors. Just take care to make sure the chamber is clean before going back to the longer cartridge.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Griff wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:20 pm Yes. Similar to Spls. vs Magnums in both .38 & .44 flavors. Just take care to make sure the chamber is clean before going back to the longer cartridge.

Thanks Griff !
----- Doug
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I once owned an original '86 in 45-90, serial dated it to 1888. I mostly used proper -90 brass (Bertram, only game in town back then), but I did run a box of Remington 405 grn Trapdoor loads through it once. It grouped well enough for hunting out to 100 yards with them, don't recall the group size but I could cover it with my hand.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

samsi wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:17 pm I once owned an original '86 in 45-90, serial dated it to 1888. I mostly used proper -90 brass (Bertram, only game in town back then), but I did run a box of Remington 405 grn Trapdoor loads through it once. It grouped well enough for hunting out to 100 yards with them, don't recall the group size but I could cover it with my hand.
I have one made the same year.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.