OT-bolt action 223 or 243 for grandkids?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT-bolt action 223 or 243 for grandkids?

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm thinking of buying a 223 or 243 BA for the kids. I would like a vintage inexpensive model. I was thinking of a 788 remington. I want it to have a scope. Any ideas out there?
"That'll Be The Day"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-bolt action 223 or 243 for grandkids?

Post by JReed »

Why not a 336 in 30-30 you could load it down for the kids and they could load it up for deer.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

if your set on a bolt gun I would recomend a .223 ammo is a lot cheaper and they are LOUD and from my experience kids shure seem to like loud :D, if you are buying it for them to hunt deer get the .243, the heavy .223 make a decent deer round if used with in its limmits. My cosin swears by the 22-250 as his deer gun, he has a 30-30 and a 7 mag as well but I have seen some great bucks fall to his 22-250
Break on through to the other side!!!
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

I think that would be a great idea! Ammo for either is plentiful and recoil light. As much as I like the 788, I think a 700 series or Ruger M77 would be better as you don't have to worry about losing the magazine. Matter of fact, I think I might favor the Ruger as the fire control system of the Remington isn't as safe, especially in aging rifles
I am American
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

My suggestion would be a Stevens (Savage) 200 series in either caliber. Can be had for around $300 and it will shoot well.

If you're wanting to teach them to shoot and starting on smaller critters, get the 223, it will kill deer, seen it done, but shot placement is paramount, as always. The Stevens is a Savage without the accu-trigger, same rifle. The newer Savage rifles have gone to centerfeed magazines, but not sure if the Stevens models have.

One extra thing about the Savage/Stevens line, is all parts (within models) are interchangable. I bought a Savage 223, and it's now a 243, it's easy to swap, just change bolt head, barrel and mag assy. Takes about 30 min for the whole job.

A few tools are needed, but once you have them you can turn it into anything from a 17 rem to a 450 marlin, or anything in-between.

If you're wanting to start out with a deer rifle, get the Stevens 243. If you hand load, there are reduced recoil loads available, I think there's some factory ones too, but not sure.

The Stevens comes in right hand only, but Savage offers LH models, but they cost more and you specified inexpensive. Not sure what you mean be vintage though.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

rangerider7 wrote:I was thinking of a 788 remington.
The 788 is a excellent gun if you can find one for cheap. Around here, they are highly sought after.

If you are set on a bolt action, you might want to look at the Weatherby Vanguard youth model that comes with an extra full size stock. The one on the shelf here is a .308 but you can get them in .243 too. I believe that they have a 20" barrel and they have a great trigger. The one I have here in the shop is a little over $500.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

A few years ago, my olders grandson, 8, Alex, took his first deer with a Ruger in 7X57 using 120 grain bullets. 120 yards, one shot, ran 35 yards and piled up. I am so proud of that rifleman!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I think I'd council a nice 30-30 Marlin for this task. Put a nice receiver sight on it and teach them to shoot the irons. Good for left or right and do make sure and test them for eye dominace - will save a lot of frustration and possibly a lost hunter.... do the "make a triangle with your hands and look at some distant object test - have em close the left and then the right and see which one makes em move their hands - that'll show you thier dominant eye.

I recommend that left eye dominant kids be taught to shoot left handed - regardless of their hand dominance.

My youngest son is left eye dominant and right handed and shoots left handed - and is a good shooter. Not to mention a new Eagle Scout. ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

You might want to consider something like a nice '03 Springfield sporter, if you handload.
I found a nice one for less than $400 recently and it is very mild in recoil with cast bullet loads.

If looking for a newer model, the Savage bolt guns are quite a bargain.
A friend recently picked up the economy model with a scope at Cabellas for about $300.
The Savages have quite a reputation for accuracy right out of the box.

Jack
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

You could start with a Handy rifle in 223 and if all works out and they like it
step em up with the 243.If its got to be a bolt a 7-08 would grow with them
better.My boy is only 4 and Im already thinking of it.Cant wait!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Note my user name!

I've had all kinds of different caliber of handi rifles and as much as I hate to say it, certain calibers are a stuff shoot. the 243 is one of them. The 223 USUALLY shoots well, with handloads.

I've read and heard similar comments about the Contender but they're a lot more money.

I'd say stick to you're original plan and get some model of bolt gun.

I'm taking my daughter out tomorrow and have her shoot her shotgun that I put a pistol grip on, for home safety. Then, I'll shoot my 223 Mini 14 Target and my Savage 243.

I have a mix of factory loads and handloads for both to try out.

I'll post the 243 results if you like.
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

I bought my one of my sons a Ruger Compact 308. It wear a 2x7x32 Nikon scope and I loaded it with reduced velocity 100-125 jacketed bullets. The oldest has kill one deer with it and 5 or 6 hogs before moving up to a full sized Ruger 308. It was ok but still a little long so I put a Cadet youth stock on it. Prior to the new stock he passed up on a buck of a lifetime because of the length issue slowing him down before the deer took off. Now he is killing pigs with a SS 16 inch 357 LA. 2 pigs so far but he has only had it hunting twice.
When using the 308 with lighter varmit bullets Jacob never had to much trouble with them blowing up because we weren't running them as fast as possible. :mrgreen:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a Handi Rifle in .223 with the lightweight barrel. I know it's not the answer to the question asked but mine has iron sights. I also bought a Lee mould for casting the little pills for it as well. It's another toy to play with.

If I had it to do over again I think I'd buy a CZ in .223. They aren't much more $$$ wise.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

if a bolt gun then i,ll add another+ for the stevens 200 - only get a rifle basix replacement trigger - 243 would be my cal pick.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget the option of an AR-15 A3 .223 - remember they can use a .22LR adaptor for cheap fun, and you can start them off when really young with a collapsed stock (fits small kids better than the 'kid's rifles' in stores do), short barrel and peeps or a red dot, but as they grow you can take off the carry handle and replace it with a scope at conventional height, longer stock, and full length barrel.

It isn't hard to set them up to single-load in either the .223 or .22LR mode, if you want to temporarily disable the semiauto feature for the youngest shooters, or just use single-load magazine adaptors.

They're durable if dropped, and the flash suppressor protects the muzzle better than any 'crown' ever could. Plus, they do kind of look 'cool' - if not 'classic.'

Many bolt guns have some of the above features, but with the current political situation, they may be able to buy a bolt gun in 10 years should they want one, but getting a 'grandfathered' (no pun intended) EBR just could be a good thing.

Anyway, that platform, although lacking the 'class' of leverguns, really can be adapted over a wide range of ages and usages.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

I like the AR-15 idea.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If the rifle is just for basic rifleman skills training, I'ld opt for the 223, less recoil, and cheaper ammo. If this one will take their first deer, 243 gets the nod.
Rem model 7, Ruger compact and other smaller bolt guns are fine, just be sure the butt stock gets cut down to fit the younger/smaller shooter.
A Browning BLR in either cartridge, or possibly even the 22-250 would also be a good choice.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I'm with handirifle on getting the Stevens. It's the same as the Savage without the accutrigger and a cheaper stock. I like the fact that a company sells an affordable rifle in their lineup . It's cheap enough that you don't have to worry about it getting a little beat up. I would go with the 243.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jhrosier wrote:You might want to consider something like a nice '03 Springfield sporter, if you handload.
I found a nice one for less than $400 recently and it is very mild in recoil with cast bullet loads.

If looking for a newer model, the Savage bolt guns are quite a bargain.
A friend recently picked up the economy model with a scope at Cabellas for about $300.
The Savages have quite a reputation for accuracy right out of the box.

Jack

I grew up shooting 03s and sporters with light cast loads. Hard to beat. One of my favorites was/ is an Arisaka re-worked to a light weight .257 Roberts.
I've picked them for as little as $150.00 and not that long ago.
And there's all kinds of old sporters out there. Cheap too!

The 788 isn't a bad choice though and even with todays ammo prices .223s are still fairly cheap.

jb :lol:
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

The 788 is a super rifle, with on exception, the cost of clips... some are hard to find, so if I were you I'd shop for clips then get a 788. 2nd choice would be a savage with acura trigger, not to costly but not vintadge, but still a good starter rifle.

What ever you do ck the safty to work properly. The old rugers with a tang safty were the best and can be found, I would put them in the same class as a 788..

Fit is the most important issue to consider, If the person (child) is small the stock may not fit, meaning a cut is on the books, and if you cut a older gun finding a replacement stock is mostlikely out of the question.

Now comes the combo rifles, only single shot, can be had in youth models, like some of the newer remingtons.

Time spent in a good outfiters shop is well spent...