A NEW (to me) BOOK ... about guns!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

A NEW (to me) BOOK ... about guns!

Post by JimT »

61Z3PuO5oAL.jpg
I am about halfway through REPLICATING BILLY DIXON'S LONG SHOT AND OTHER NOSTALGIA by Mic McPherson and am enjoying it! Mic starts by telling the story of Billy Dixon and famous shot at Adobe Walls and then tells the story of how they came to set up a range to replicate the shot. They used Sharps rifles and iron sights and some of the participants did some fabulous shooting at 7/8 of a mile!

He also shares some great hunting stories of his family and his own experiences. There are chapters on the long-range rifle and what has been accomplished.

I am not a long-range rifle shooter but I appreciate all the work that is included in this book detailing much of what goes into an accurate long-range rifle.

246 pages hundreds of color photos and captions in the DELUXE EDITION.

AND .. there is a picture of our own ANDY TUTTLE on the 4th page!

Fun Stuff!

Available on AMAZON ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A NEW (to me) BOOK ... about guns!

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have been to Billy's grave at the Adobe Walls site on the Turkey Track ranch. That was a heck of a shot.
My grandma grew up on a ranch adjoining the Dixon's ranch on the Canadian. I wish I had asked her what she remembered about Billy and Olive!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:07 am I have been to Billy's grave at the Adobe Walls site on the Turkey Track ranch. That was a heck of a shot.
My grandma grew up on a ranch adjoining the Dixon's ranch on the Canadian. I wish I had asked her what she remembered about Billy and Olive!
Apparently he was a real man! Medal of Honor recipient ... well-known as an accomplished target shooter ... and not one to talk about his own exploits. His wife Olive (along with Bat Masterson) was behind publishing the story of the fight at Adobe Walls.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Man... that sure looks familiar!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

"AND .. there is a picture of our own ANDY TUTTLE on the 4th page!"

Thanks Jim. I was just in the right place at the right time. My best friend Tym Hurst and I were the 1st people from the general public to shoot there after FoBD was created. I went every year for a few years and met our own Griff there as well. MIc has become an even more prolific writer since his retirement from gunsmithing. Its also much easier to get published than it ever has been through Amazon. I finally made it back to FoBD last year almost to the day that I write this. Last years shoot included some of the most bizarre wind conditions I have ever seen on day 2. Out of the 5 of us, only McPherson with his 8mm, myself and 11mm and Randy Arnt with his Pedersoli Sharps got on target for 100% sure. There is always a certain amount of luck of hitting that array because of the gaps between targets. -Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:07 am I have been to Billy's grave at the Adobe Walls site on the Turkey Track ranch. That was a heck of a shot.
On my way home from the Shootists Holiday one year, I stopped at the gravesite and took a photo of my Sharps next to the marker. You need to know where to look to find the place!!!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Interesting (to me) side note -- Dixon was one of only eight civilians ever to be awarded the Medal of Honor. Prior to WW1 the medal was awarded in a manner we would not recognize today. Whole units, often not that distinguished, were given the medal during the Civil War and Indian wars, sometimes purely through political pull -- it looked good on a resume, and some well-directed monetary incentives could achieve a lot. The Buffalo Wallow fight was horrific, but in typical fashion for most awards of the day Dixon got his medal for simply surviving -- no mean feat, but every survivor got the medal. His citation states only "gallant action in battle".

Congress decided to tighten up MOH standards in 1917 and Dixon's was one of many medals that were rescinded at that time; however, his was restored in 1989.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Pisgah, didn't know that. VERY interesting! Thanks Amigo! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel