(PHOTOS ADDED) - Savage 1899C and 303 Savage Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

(PHOTOS ADDED) - Savage 1899C and 303 Savage Questions

Post by jdad »

The local shop has an 1899C, 303 Sav, that has the Rocky Mountain front sight/no rear/Lyman 1a combo tang sight. Metal is in about 90% and the wood is great, but for a repair and some sanding on the bottom rear of the butt stock. The buttplate is obviously proud of the wood, on the bottom

I know squat about Savages, but this is pretty nice, with the half octagon barrel and sights. Is $699 out of line? I also looked into reloading components and saw that 100 pieces of Norma (303sav) brass is $125!

Isn't the 303sav just an elongated 30-30? Is there a less expensive way to acquire brass if I were to buy it? I know I can use .308 bullets and 748, but it's the brass......

Thanks
Last edited by jdad on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Savage 1899C and 303 Savage Questions

Post by Mainehunter »

I have a couple of the TD models in 30-30, 250-3000 and I love them! The price is pretty good considering it being a half round/octagon barrel. I have a friend who has a Savage 303 in an octagon barrel and I load for him using 30-30 loading data. He shot a nice doe with it a few years ago! You can make your own 303 brass by using 30-40 Krag brass. There was a good wright up in Handloader a year ago that shows how it's done. Once I had everything set up to make the brass I can make about 20 of them in less than an hour. I'm curious what work has been done on it :?: That particular model should have come with a "Perch Belly" gun stock. You can get more info on the model at Savage 99 website here is the link:

http://www.savage99.com/

Or you can go to the experts at 24 hour campfire under the Savage Collection:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... p/ubb/cfrm

Let me know if this helps!

Mainehunter :wink:
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

I'd jump on it if the bore's nice. The tang sights nice, but take a good look as alot of 99 stocks are damaged right behind the tang, and a sight hides alot of it. I'd still buy it, but I'm fond of any 1/2 oct. Reloading 303's simple. Here's some formed brass. http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,108,35.html Someone's got to make some affordable brass sooner or later.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If that rifle was made prior to the bolt/receiver upgrades, it will have the old, squared-off rear on the bolt -with a corresponding square cut in the top rear of the receiver for it.

Those receivers were susceptible to cracking at one of the square corners, and should be carefully checked.

The upgrade consisted of rounding/arcing both the rear of the bolt and the receiver opening at the top.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'll see if I can get to the shop and take some photos of the receiver.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here's the rifle. I'm going to pass. I don't want to start reloading any new calibers.

If any of you want this rifle you can call:
The Gun Broker
13500 SW Pacific Hwy
Tigard, OR 97223
503-639-9614

They will not ship to CA.

Click on the thumbnails for larger images.

JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Re: (PHOTOS ADDED) - Savage 1899C and 303 Savage Questions

Post by JDL »

You made a very wise decision. $350 would be top dollar IMHO.
JDL
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I agree w/jdl.

It's a somewhat attractive piece, with the perch-belly, etc - but not at the askin'.

BTW - Your pic clearly shows the older, squared-off bolt rear & receiver cutout, that I was talking about, above.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Thanks for the feednback.

I lost interest as soon as I looked into how much it was going to cost just to get setup and load my first 100 rounds. I'll stick to my rimfires. :D