holsters opinion for .45 taylor's 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

holsters opinion for .45 taylor's 1911

Post by rossim92 »

been looking for a holster for my taylor's 1911a1fs in .45acp. want the owb paddle with finger release (right hand , low rise). so many to choose from. anybody have experience with this? good or bad thoughts. I like the kydex syle, seems it holds it shape better then leather does. mainly concerned with retention and release. thanks.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: holsters opinion for .45 taylor's 1911

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The Kydex holsters have earned a place at my house. Be sure and choose one with an adjustable tension screw or screws.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

A kydex holster works fine for carrying a Glock or something like that. I find that they are terrible on the finish of a 1911 though and I am strictly a leather guy these days. Ive never found a paddle style holster that works for me and I wear Simply Rugged holsters every day for comfort, convenience and protection of the firearm and my clothing.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:53 am A kydex holster works fine for carrying a Glock or something like that. I find that they are terrible on the finish of a 1911 though and I am strictly a leather guy these days. Ive never found a paddle style holster that works for me and I wear Simply Rugged holsters every day for comfort, convenience and protection of the firearm and my clothing.
Ditto. Kydex certainly hold it's shape, and retains guns. But it's not kind to the finish over years of carry in Kydex. I still prefer a nice formed leather holster, and have not found them to get loose over time. Most that I use have no snaps or releases to help retain the handgun, and still do a perfect job of keeping my guns from dropping out when I'm moving around.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/