OT Kinda What's wrong with Oakland airport ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Levergunner 3.0

OT Kinda What's wrong with Oakland airport ?

Post by 1894 »

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It wouldn't play for me. Something to do with java script I think.

But I sure don't like the title in the link: Marines Mistreated.

This country is going down the crapper.

Joe
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Sorry it didn't work :oops:
Seems that a planeload of Marines heading home to Hawaii from thier tour of duty , were not allowed access into the Oakland airport durring thier three hour layover :shock:
No meet and greet with familly and friends , No place to even sit down except on the tarmack outside the the building in the baggage loading and unloading area, No rest room access , No food access ,..... :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mayby someone can grab a printed story and post it.

Phil
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's insane. This is one time some political entity should come down hard on that pee ant airport.

Joe
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Some *** needs firing.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Here is the thing the Marine Corps does layovers in airports all over the world and this B.S. of being armed has never been an issue. We just leave our weapons on board the plane with a gear guard. I personaly have done layovers in Bangor Maine, Shanon Ireland, and Germany. All are international airports and none of them gave us a problem.
What a bunch of J@#$A**es who ever made that call should be publicly wipped by the family members of those Devil Dogs :twisted: .
Last edited by JReed on Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Here is the written version. This type of bureaucratic BS really ticks me off. Someone needs to have some common sense. Hecka of a job Brownie! Our Home Land security again at it's finest.

OAKLAND, Calif. - Oakland International Airport sparked controversy Tuesday night among parents and public officials after an incident in which troops returning from Iraq were not allowed to enter the airport's terminal during a layover. The incident happened Thursday, according to Oakland International spokeswoman Deborah Ale Flint. More than 200 troops were returning from Iraq to a base in Hawaii on a chartered flight, according to airport officials. Some of the troops had planned to meet family in the terminal during the two-hour layover Thursday. However, the airport forced the plane to pull away from the terminal and wait on the tarmac for two hours. The airport said that decision was made because the Marines had not been screened by the Transportation Safety Administration because they still had their weapons with them on board the plane. Airport officials told NBC11 that was standard protocol and deflected criticism that the airport does not support the military. "This airport prides itself on safety, security and customer service," Flint said. "That's for every single person who comes into interaction with this airport. Whether they are a passenger, a meeter and greeter, a loved one, agencies. We strive to accommodate in a safe, secure and customer-oriented fashion every person, especially our esteemed military. That is just not the philosophy of this airport. We deeply regret that this situation happened here,'' Flint said. The airport said that if the chartered airline had given officials advance notice the situation might have been averted. Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums also expressed concern Tuesday over the military reception. "I join the citizens of Oakland to express my concern over the way our soldiers were treated upon their recent arrival at the Oakland Airport," Dellums said. "As a former U.S. Marine, I understand that our troops deserve only the utmost respect for their service to our country. I want to be very clear, the city of Oakland does not condone this type of treatment of our troops. I have directed our Port to look into these matters and work closely with airport personnel to ensure that this type of situation never happens again."
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

darn, this stuff really ticks me off. Of course they were armed; what part of Armed Forces doesn't the overly PC Oakland Airport Administration understand? I sincerely hope that some weak kneed bureaucrat looses his A** over this shocking and abysmal incident! :evil:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Someone needs to be fired over this.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Rusty wrote:Someone needs to be fired over this.

Rusty <><
Yes, and the Oakland airport should get zero military business from now on.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Oakland Airport might have been glad to have a few armed Marines around if some rag headed heathen had started something in the terminal building. :x :x
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Someone needs fired, period. That's the most assinine excuse for BS I've ever heard.
Old Law Dawg
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

Morons :evil:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Only way to stop this B.S. is for someone to lose their job over it. Word gets around fast then... :evil:
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

It is in Kalifornia. What more needs to be said.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Disgusting....I can't/won't say what I think of this...... :x this IS a civilized forum and I shall adhere to that.
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Oh hell, I'm not surprised about the way they were treated. Thirty odd years ago, I landed at Travis AFB then traveled to San Francisco to catch a flight home. The treatment received by these young warriors is still a heck of a lot better than we received. Put it down to the political bent of those who live there.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've heard several of the talking heads tossing this situation back and forth and it seems that there are several things going on.
1) TSA says the soldiers didn't have to be cleared by them since they had already been cleared through customs which is more strict anyway.
2) a Florida congressman who is pretty far up the food chain is looking into it and he has already said that the biggest problem is that this airport gets Federal Funding.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

They should have pulled up and gotten off the plane anyhow. What would TSA do, what could they do against a planeload of MARINES? One would have been more that a match for all the TSA there!!