Colt SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Colt SAA

Post by 6pt-sika »

I am sorta in the market for one of the present manufacture Colt SAA's in 32-20 !

Kinda have it in my head that I want one with a 7.5" barrel . Not sure what for just been wanting one for awhile now .

Already have a Ruger Blackhawk Buckeye Special in 32-20 / 32 MAG . But I just think I need a Colt in 32-20 as well !

So for those of you that deal with this type of thing , give me some insight into the NEW manufacture COlt SAA's !

I've had a couple folks tell me to get a USFA instead , but it just ain't the same without the Colt name and stallion on the frame !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Re: Colt SAA

Post by Hobie »

If you want a Colt get a Colt. The real experts say that Colt quality is back up to where it should be.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

what Hobie said!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hobie, +1.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ju kanna go wrong widda C-O-L-T!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

A friend has a few newer Colts and they are just dandy. The are a joy to behold and handle, and he (and I) find nothing to fault in the quality department; and he has a gaggle of 2nd gen's too to compare to. The current USFA prices (new low) are finally about where they should be, distancing them comfortably from the new Colts (which had also come down in recent years from former heights) - one of the few areas where the economy is taking a "good" toll. As a few have already said, however, a Colt is a Colt...and I certainly would not fault you. Just bear in mind, ...which you might already be...regardless of manufacturer--that the 7.5" tube is going to result in a very heavy gun--given those seven very small holes. The .357/.38 is no lightweight either, but the .45 is a joy as you might guess. My choice in a .32-20 would be 5.5" max; 4-3/4" better yet (and I'm a big 5.5" fan generally).
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Remember - July 2 we celebrate one of he patent dates. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

gak+1
"That'll Be The Day"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I bought a 7.5" 32-20 about a year ago and I have had no regrets. The cost is about the same, so you might as well get the Colt.

What I have found is that it likes a slow bullet. My accuracy load is 3.9gr of HP-38 under a Laser-Cast 115gr bullet.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:I bought a 7.5" 32-20 about a year ago and I have had no regrets. The cost is about the same, so you might as well get the Colt.

What I have found is that it likes a slow bullet. My accuracy load is 3.9gr of HP-38 under a Laser-Cast 115gr bullet.

Thats what I want right there !

From looking over GB every day for the past month I am thinking I can get one just like yours for about $1150-1200 .

And I am sure after I see how much I like it I will have to have a shorter barreled version as well !
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

6pt-sika wrote:
jdad wrote:I bought a 7.5" 32-20 about a year ago and I have had no regrets. The cost is about the same, so you might as well get the Colt.

Thats what I want right there !

From looking over GB every day for the past month I am thinking I can get one just like yours for about $1150-1200 .

And I am sure after I see how much I like it I will have to have a shorter barreled version as well !
Not true any more re the "...cost is about the same" comment. The difference in price has gotten close to $400 between what you can get an "equivalent-to-standard Colt" USFA (polished blue/CCH) - as currently advertised on their website - and the average price of a new Colt SAA. That, finally, is significant. Used Colts typically go for no less--or not much less at best--than new (amazingly the earlier 3rds included, when you can get a new "4th" with bushing and reportedly better quality for $1,250-$1,300-$1,350 depending on scarcity of configuration). Used Colts shy of "complete junk with no history" are still not dipping below $1,000 -- and "hardly ever" see a 2nd Gen (and "never-ever" a 1st) for the price of a new "4th" Gen...which does say a lot for their market/historical stamina. However, it is particularly a perplexer when it comes to the earlier 3rds - which are often advertised for the same or "worse" than a brand new 3rd ("4th") Gen.

The USFA these days is looking like a particularly fine buy, regardless of the historically superior traditional Colt investment/resale quotient (which has always been one of the stronger Colt arguments)....the new USFA price on its "regular" model is just hard to ignore. Until recently, the chief selling point of the USFA to me was being able to (much more easily) get special configurations, stand-alone options, etc., albeit at a cost over what we're talking about here. If you don't care (so much) about the Colt name, the new pricing - or the customization factor - of the USFA is something to consider. The heirloom factor is another matter of course, and that often transcends other considerations and gets into all sorts of opinions and personal feelings you can't measure so much. So...depending on your viewpoint, hard to go wrong with either.
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

Atsa my boy Griff. Ju tellem. I followed Griff's advice and bought a 00-02 3rd gen 5 1/2'' 45cal. sn S17xxxA.
Almost new in box for a grand. Not bad when you see Ruger 22 revolvers for 450-500usd. Heck if I dont
like it I may have to get ANOTHER one.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

footlong wrote:Heck if I dont
like it I may have to get ANOTHER one.
Thats my main concern :roll:

Usually when I like something just one won't do :lol:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

gak+2

I would suggest if possible getting some hands on
feel of the different configurations.
I almost went with the .32-20 in 5 1/2".
Even in that barrel length it had a might more heft
than I wanted.
The right configuration for me was the .357 5 1/2"
Though the ultimate in the hand feel is the
.45 in 4 1/2" That is indeed Colt's sweet pea. :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I paid $1140 NIB. Great deal then and great deal now. I wanted the longer barrel, for target shooting. If I was going to be carrying it or shooting CAS I would have gone shorter.

6pt, you know how much fun the 32-20 is, in a rifle, and in a revolver it's the same......a 30 cal .22 mag. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have never owned a new Colt, just 1st Generations. The .32 WCF is a fun caliber in a SA, regardless of manufacture date. I'm partial to the 4 3/4" barrel, though. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:I paid $1140 NIB. Great deal then and great deal now. I wanted the longer barrel, for target shooting. If I was going to be carrying it or shooting CAS I would have gone shorter.

6pt, you know how much fun the 32-20 is, in a rifle, and in a revolver it's the same......a 30 cal .22 mag. :wink:

I already have that Blackhawk with a 6.5 or 7.5" barrel , so the weight of the 7.5 Colt doesn't really bother me !

Strangely I find myself drawn to the 32-20's and of all things the 32 H&R MAG's . I now have three revolvers I can shoot 32 H&R MAG in :!:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

As griff said,C-O-L-T when you ear back the hammer you hear the name. I bought mine in 1959 for 100 bucks and still think I got a good deal

JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

From what I understand, you definately want to make sure it has the "S" serial number prefix, just like Footlong posted. Evidently, earlier ones had the spotty quality issues.

I have been passively looking for one in 44-40, 5 1/2" barrel, or 4 3/4" barrel, in that order. But since they are basically $1200 revolvers, I havent been looking that hard.

Good luck on your quest for a 32-20.

Sean
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A couple years ago I had a Colt New Frontier Scout "Buntline Special" with a 6.5" barrel . For some strange reason i decided to trade it off !

Now fairly recently I inherited this Colt . It's a Colt Scout "Buntline Special" with a 9.5" barrel . My grandfather bought this pistol new in 62 or 63 . I still have the original box and grips . Although the little revolver wears a set of walnut thumbrest grips that he carved himself !

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have a pair of third generations I got from the Custom Shop last year. Mine are 44-40 with seperate fitted 44 special cylinders. They are 4 3/4", nothing fancy, just colts.
I can shoot 44 Colt, 44 Russians, 44 special, and 44-40's. So far I have loads for 44-40 & 44 special. Looking to get some 44 Russian cases and working up a load for the short cases.

You might consider getting dual cylinders, it adds about $300.00. If you could have them do a cylinder in the new .327 mag. then you could shoot all the 32 cartridges in the piece.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

I like this one

http://www.gunsamerica.com/907372394/Gu ... _56_1_.htm

I have two USFA's, all tolerances on both are perfect. They are accurate in the extreme. If you don't care about the pony on the side, the USFA in my opinion is the hands down choice. If you want a Colt, then get one but I would take someone with me that can measure the cyl throats and look the the gun over closely, try to get one of the new ones as they are supposed to have the cyl throat problem resolved. Nothing would make me sicker than a $1200 dollar gun that wont work without a bunch of extra gunsmithing, money and a big loooong wait to get it back, which is exactly what will happen if you get a Colt that is not dimensionaly correct. Don't get me wrong I'm not knockin the Colts, I would love to own one, but the only money I have is hard earned money and I am not risking any on a gun that might be ok.Good luck
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Agreed, throats can be an issue with Colts. My 44-40 barrel grooves are .429 and my 44 special cylinder came in with .426" throats. I have a 44 caliber throating reamer and a friend who is a GS and has a Bridgeport Mill. We re-cut both cylinders throats and they are now .430". Also one piece came in with a 45LC cylinder instead of the 44-40. Colt made it good, they paid the plane ticket both ways for the new and proper cylinder fit.

USFA makes a fine and quality firearm. However it has no Pony on the grip, and does not have COLTS Patent on the barrel. If you look at the resale a Colt will holds it's value over a USFA.
If you want the very best, Freedom Arms. STI is also making a very fine SA also, about the same price as a Colt.
Take a look at the STI. :wink:

A Colt is a Colt, all others are Clones or Wanna-bees. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lefty Dude wrote:
You might consider getting dual cylinders, it adds about $300.00. If you could have them do a cylinder in the new .327 mag. then you could shoot all the 32 cartridges in the piece.

That is a good idea ! I already have a Ruger SP101 in 327 Federal so I have everything for the round !

Only problem with that is the fact that I don't like shooting jacketed and cast in the same barrel !

I normally load all my 32-20's with cast , and I'm looking at the 327 Federal as a jacketed only cartridge .
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have this older colt in .32 wcf. It is a old poor refinish. However it is accuarate. I have other colts in the same barrel length in .44 special and .45 colt. The heavier weight is noticeable and makes it feel cluby in compareison.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote:
That is exactly what I have been looking at !

My thinking is this will be fine for my needs (as I have none other then want) !

I am also I think in the market for a Ruger Single Six 6.5" in 32 H&R MAG :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Lefty Dude wrote:Agreed, throats can be an issue with Colts. My 44-40 barrel grooves are .429 and my 44 special cylinder came in with .426" throats. I have a 44 caliber throating reamer and a friend who is a GS and has a Bridgeport Mill. We re-cut both cylinders throats and they are now .430". Also one piece came in with a 45LC cylinder instead of the 44-40. Colt made it good, they paid the plane ticket both ways for the new and proper cylinder fit.

USFA makes a fine and quality firearm. However it has no Pony on the grip, and does not have COLTS Patent on the barrel. If you look at the resale a Colt will holds it's value over a USFA.If you want the very best, Freedom Arms. STI is also making a very fine SA also, about the same price as a Colt.
Take a look at the STI. :wink:

A Colt is a Colt, all others are Clones or Wanna-bees. :wink:
A++ Lefty Dude, there's just something about having that little pony on the side. :wink:
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

I picked my Colt 5 1/2'' .45 from the gun shop Thursday. And 100rds from Natchezss on Wed. Will be at
the range tomorrow. The thing is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Sexier than Madonna. Cant keep my hands off
it. Aint my favorite cal.(44spcl is) but could not find one I could afford. A thou was ALL I could spend
with this @%&^* gas prices. Would love to have a5.5 in nickel 44-40/44spcl xtra cyl. Stag or Buffalo
horn grips. But still have not been able to find when #S1700xxA was made. Will post after range appt.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Having gunsmithed when there were only First Gen Colts (except a few Great Western clones) I still have a hard time accepting anything but the real deal. Yes, I know there are several clones out there that are as good, or maybe better. It's just that the click,click,clack,click, balance and feel of a Colt that appeals to me. I have owned several First, Second, and Cowboys. The first's are the bst.