Savage 99 re-barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Savage 99 re-barrel

Post by JeffG »

Hi,
Has anyone ever seen/done a rebarrel on a Savage 99? I was thinking about a 99E .308 being re-barreled to 7mm-08.
There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle

-Albert Einstein
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99 re-barrel

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That should pose no problems. You could do a rebarrel in any 308-based cartridge and be just fine.

Me? I'd go with .260 Remington. I think it's a "better" cartridge than the 7-08 which is pretty close really to a the .308.

Especially if you're intending this primarily for Whitetail and similar sized game.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I thought I was the only 6.5 fan here?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i was thinking of the .338 federal. gonna wait a few years to see if this cartidge lasts.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

mescalero1 wrote:I thought I was the only 6.5 fan here?
I have a 96 Swede Mauser, 96-38 Swede Mauser, sporterized M94 Swede (purchased that way...) and a Winchester Classic M70 in 6.5x55.

The 6.5x55 is a ballistic twin to the .260 Rem (or visa versa) - the older cartridge performs better with the heavier bullets though.

Probably the closest thing to the perfect deer cartridge. It makes a very good Elk cartridge with the 160 weights too.

The Swedes still use this cartridge to hunt moose with no complaints...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Pepe Ray had one done in .260 Rem. IIRC his particular problem resulted not from the standard loadings (for the .260) but with the 160 gr. RN bullets. Apparently had some adjusting to do because of this. I have a 6.5x55 and a 7-30 Waters and the 7-08 seems a good balance to me as I like the 140-160 gr. bullets in the 6.5 even though the lighter bullets (like the 120s) are effective on deer and such.

Sounds like a fun project!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

I have had two 99's re-barreled

one 99E 308 to 358win ... it shoots minute of bullet hole @ 100 yds ie clover leaves ...
the other was done for my birthday by my honey .. it was a 99F 308 to 7mm-08 and
I have to admit I haven't fired it .. yes she is a keeper !!!!!! the 99 too

both were done by Mazys in az ... it was a pricy deal but I'm happy :-) hmmmm
I guess I have to get out and shoot the 7mm-08 now ... Cool !!!!!!!

http://www.mazys.com/

no not pluging them but they did right by my 358win ... will let you know about the 7mm08 ..

love those 99's !!!!!!!!!!!

Talon
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

" 99F 308 to 7mm-08 "

Now That's what I'm talking about! Where did you get the barrels, and who did the work for you and your lovely wife?

-Albert Einstein
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

mazy did both of my conversions ... the only reason I haven't shot the
7mm-08 is due to work ..

the reason I did the 99f is I do not like the way my 99C loaded it rough
and no where as crisp and smooth as the F is .. which kind of sucks since
I had a maple, full length manlicher stock on it ... Oh well !!!

I'll do a range report soon on the 7mm-08 .....

good luck !!!!!

Talon
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

And what's wrong with the .308?
JDL
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A friend had one rebarreled to 250 - very accurate rifle in 250.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a 7-08 and like it better than 308 but you should be a reloader.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a 250-3000 99
It is NOT for sale
That should speak for itself
texshooter
Levergunner

Post by texshooter »

I too want a 99 in 7-08 and it looks like the only way I may get one is to have a 308 re-barreled. I wish Dale Storey was still working, I would hire him to do it. I have 4 of Dale's guns. The 308 is OK but, the guy that asked what is wrong with the 308 needs to check out the 200+ yard fps and bullet energy as well as trajectory of a 7-08 vrs a 308 and ask some 7-08 shooters why they love their gun. AJ
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Thanks for remembering, Hobie.
The main problem with my choice of cartridge (260Rem) was that there was no 160 gr factory ammo and consequently finding bbls with a fast enough twist meant that I had to sacrifice one of my M96 Swedes.
Yes, assembling 160 gr. ammo that would feed took more than a minute, but I did it, and had a ball.
This project was personally satisfying. I'm glad I did it, but as you all know a .308 or 7mm or .338 or what ever is just as effective with proper placement.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Sounds like an interesting project.

But I have to ask the question that's already been asked: What's wrong with the .308 as a big game hunting cartridge? Please do not misunderstand me - this is not a challenge; I'm just asking because I do not comprehend your motivation. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Years ago, I met a Texan who had his 300 Savage re-barreled to a wildcat: 300 case necked down to 270. It shot flatter than the 300 and hit just as hard.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

Well Thanks for all the considerate responses.

My primary motivation for this Savage 99 in 7mm-08 is a brother-in-law who just loves the 7mm-08. He's been tweeking his reloads for it on three different family hunting rifles for about 10 years....I show up on opening day with my .300 savage and I'm practically an outcast. I don't have much sway with these guys because They've all been hunting together for about six generations and I'm just starting (...again...at 50 years old...having not hunted since I was 14...and have yet to take my first deer)...so it's the old "wanting to be like the other guys", but really wanting to do it my way with a model 99.

Building a field-grade 99 is easier and cheaper than trying to find and buy a collector's factory 99 in 7-08. I figure with a stainless Schillen barrel it would be quite the accurate all-weather weapon too.

It all may turn out to be just a (stove) pipe dream, but that government incentive check sure got me thinking. I'm sure I'd gain all the respect I want by dialing in my own .300 savage reloads (with the reloading gear I've gotten through our pay-it-forward forum) and taking first choice of the family meat for myself this coming season.

-Albert Einstein
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have a nice old 99 in .250-3000, but with the 1:14 twist. I wish to heck it had the faster twist, but I can hardly bring myself to alter it, as it was gift from a beloved uncle who doted on the .250.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

There are many times many beloved 99s, and They Deserve IT!! They are great guns! And when they're cared for they should last for generations...but some aren't loved and cared for... I imagined one of these orphans finding a new life as a 7MM-08, and a new family to care for it...hopefully for generations. (speaking of which, my son beat me at the local silhouette shoot this weekend...definately a threshold moment for both of us...of course he was shooting scope and I was shooting open iron...).

-Albert Einstein
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

My father-in-law has a 99F that I'm trying to beg and barter off of him, it's chambered in .308 and I'm told it shoots 1/2" @ 100 yards.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Hey Bill (in Oregon);

Don't sweat the 1-14" twist in your .250 Savage. Just buy some Speer 87 gr Hot Cores, which are big game quality, and reload with them. Not every 25 cal 87 gr jacketed bullet is a varmint bullet.

Sean
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Junkbug,
Thanks for the tip.
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

...so, does anyone have a drawer of Savage 99 actions and other forsaken 99 parts that they are willing to trade, and let me make a project out of?

-Albert Einstein
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Let me check
JeffG
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JeffG »

This is great motivation! It's a real treasure having such a vast well of experience here to draw from.

I spoke with Dave Mazy after H-Talon's referal to his own project. Dave seems like a genuine resource...and the first gunsmith I've talked to who's done this re-barrel/change to 7mm08.

...so I'm moving ahead! I put out a request in the classifieds, and at my local club, looking for a donor, already had a couple responses, Thanks!

We'll see what I can come up with, I'll keep you all posted (...and yes, I know, TAKE PICTURES!!)

-Albert Einstein