POLITICS - Supreme Court Decision on 2nd Tomorrow

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

POLITICS - Supreme Court Decision on 2nd Tomorrow

Post by stretch »

According to the Wahington Post, the Supreme Court's loong-awaited decision
on the 2nd Amendment will be handed down tomorrow. Cross your fingers,
boys!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

"Opinions in the remaining cases, including whether the District of Columbia's ban on handguns violates the Second Amendment, will be issued tomorrow. "

-Stretch
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Supreme Court Decision on 2nd Amendment Tomorrow

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Unfortunately, justice Kennedy has been doing some heavy disappointing lately in some 5-4 decisions. I don't look forward to the result for the 2nd tomorrow.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Unfortunately, justice Kennedy has been doing some heavy disappointing lately in some 5-4 decisions. I don't look forward to the result for the 2nd tomorrow.
I agree.

But I listened to the argument and he sounded like he was pro-2A.

We shall see. God help us.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

POLITICS - Heller case decision tomorrow...

Post by RSY »

Roberts announced this morning that the three remaining decisions will be delivered tomorrow 06/26/2008 starting at 10:00 AM.

It could be a very good day, or the worst of days.

Scott
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: FYI: Heller case decision tomorrow...

Post by deerwhacker444 »

So,..If it goes bad, where's everyone going to meet up for the march..?

:shock:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I am so excited!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, I'd really like to say something witty and intelligent about this, but I can't. All I can do is hope and pray the justices reach the correct decision.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

There are two possible outcomes: good and bad.

Good: "no decision is necessary. The Constitution is very clear and it means exactly what it says, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" can only be read in one way."

Bad: anything else.

Do you REALLY wonder which it will be?
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I envision a sort of "Yes, but . . . " decision.

Yes, the 2nd A confers an individual right, but . . .

What the "but" part could be is what scares me.

Also, SCOTUS is handing down the Heller decision just as they are ending the session. Gonna get outa Dodge to beat the "heat" I guess.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

kennedy is the scarry one for sure. it appeared that he would go the right way but he also pisses backwards on alot of cases. i have no idea which way this monk will go, we can only pray for a succesful outcome. it also worries me that they are waiting until the last moment for the release.
g rice
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

If you think about it, with the court's current "balance" - four solid Constitutional constructionists (Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito) versus four bed-wetting liberal judicial activists (Stevens, Ginsberg, Souter and Breyer), Justice Kennedy is now really the most powerful man in the world. Doubt it? Just look what he did to President Bush's efforts to fight terrorism. Even as much as a decade ago the court wouldn't have thought about intervening in what is obviously, Constitutionally an Executive branch issue.

So, our rights hang on the mood and decision of one man. Doesn't seem much like the Republic our founding fathers - and fore-fathers - and heck, some of you veterans among us - fought for!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Agreed - I think the SCOTUS is going to wimp out and come up with a wishy-washy decision - or leave the road wide open for DC and other big cities to do the same kind of stupidity just in a different way.

Pray tonight fellas...
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Ysabel Kid wrote:If you think about it, with the court's current "balance" - four solid Constitutional constructionists (Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito) versus four bed-wetting liberal judicial activists (Stevens, Ginsberg, Souter and Breyer), Justice Kennedy is now really the most powerful man in the world. Doubt it? Just look what he did to President Bush's efforts to fight terrorism. Even as much as a decade ago the court wouldn't have thought about intervening in what is obviously, Constitutionally an Executive branch issue.

So, our rights hang on the mood and decision of one man. Doesn't seem much like the Republic our founding fathers - and fore-fathers - and heck, some of you veterans among us - fought for!!!

exactly
g rice
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

gary rice wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:If you think about it, with the court's current "balance" - four solid Constitutional constructionists (Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito) versus four bed-wetting liberal judicial activists (Stevens, Ginsberg, Souter and Breyer), Justice Kennedy is now really the most powerful man in the world. Doubt it? Just look what he did to President Bush's efforts to fight terrorism. Even as much as a decade ago the court wouldn't have thought about intervening in what is obviously, Constitutionally an Executive branch issue.

exactly
A new Revolution could start tomorrow to restore our God given Bill of Rights & our Constitution.
God Bless the Republic & America.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Lefty Dude wrote:
gary rice wrote:

exactly
A new Revolution could start tomorrow to restore our God given Bill of Rights & our Constitution.
God Bless the Republic & America.
the pity is we already had a revolution and we won, everyone else forgot that.
g rice
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

gary rice wrote:the pity is we already had a revolution and we won, everyone else forgot that.
Yes, and the further pity is that a new one will cause the departure of many good people. But the alternative would eventually be even more costly - just look at history for the answer.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
gary rice wrote:the pity is we already had a revolution and we won, everyone else forgot that.
Yes, and the further pity is that a new one will cause the departure of many good people. But the alternative would eventually be even more costly - just look at history for the answer.
i really hope it doesnt have to come to that but if it does....
g rice
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: POLITICS - Heller case decision tomorrow...

Post by kimwcook »

Standing by with baited breath. I honestly can't see anything but it's stated intent, but I'm definitely biased.
Old Law Dawg
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: POLITICS - Supreme Court Decision on 2nd Tomorrow

Post by Lefty Dude »

This coming Week End could be the largest run on Black Rifles this country has ever seen. If the SC rules the wrong way.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

It it goes the wrong way, I certainly hope to God that people react in an extreme way. By that, I hope that we start with mass rallys and give that a shot first. Of course, there will be huge runs on likely to be banned rifles and handguns - mags and ammo.

I think what is much more likely is we get a wishy washy type ruling.

What we really need and deserve is a reafirmation of the true intent of the 2A.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

deerwhacker444 wrote:So,..If it goes bad, where's everyone going to meet up for the march..?

:shock:

If it goes bad, or good. http://www.revolutionmarch.com/

July 12th on the West side of Capitol Hill (D.C.)

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I wish I could afford to be there.

As it is, I have to make plans to march in Chitcago to support the ISRA as they march against Emperor Daley and his Obamanation of a minion...

http://chicagorally.isra.org/
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

"What we really need and deserve" is not what we get very often. I just hope they don't turn us into felons with the stroke of a pen. I would not like to think the years I have fought for others rights, have not been wasted defending mine.
It is not the critic who counts
dave price
Levergunner

Post by dave price »

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

dave price wrote:Looks like real good news:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372041,00.html
It's not that great.

The following leaves us completely open to an outright AWB - or worse:

“The term was applied, then as now, to weapons that were not specifically designed for military use and were not employed in a military capacity.”

(Remember how many levers, bolts, trapdoors, flinters, etc were “specifically designed/used in a military capacity"? Ooops.)

“Putting all of these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation.”

“Thus, we do not read the Second Amendment to protect the right of citizens to carry arms for any sort of confrontation, just as we do not read the First Amendment to protect the right of citizens to speak for any purpose.”

The above means "confrontations with/against the Government... where EBRs might be useful".

The Screw is still turning. And it will start turning harder & faster for EBRs now.

The following also indicates the Court's willingness to accept and support Gun Registration:

“In sum, we hold that the District’s ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense. Assuming that Heller is not disqualified from the exercise of Second Amendment rights, the District must permit him to register his handgun and must issue him a license to carry it in the home.”

Again, Government Permission required to exercise a Right. Not good.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

There is a statement in the decision:

"Respondent conceded at oral argument that he does
not “have a problem with . . . licensing” and that the District’s
law is permissible so long as it is “not enforced in an
arbitrary and capricious manner.” Tr. of Oral Arg. 74–75.
We therefore assume that petitioners’ issuance of a license
will satisfy respondent’s prayer for relief and do not address
the licensing requirement."

Heller did not object to the licensing requirement, so they didn't address that as an issue. The issue will be addressed in future suits, where licensing or registration are made difficult or impractical by heavy fees or requirements beyond background checks. There should be no fee for registering, etc, just as there is no fee to register to vote. Current background checks should satisfy the government's need to prevent sales to felons and the mentally defective.

The court left open other aspects of the issue, mentioning that future rulings may occur as such issues are brought before the court. Semi-automatic handguns are the chosen handguns of the military, police and many sporting disciplines, hence will probably be the source of further defining what the District may not prohibit. The same goes for semi-automatic rifles and "assault weapons" which function no differently from each other, and are allowed by the majority of states as legal for private ownership, indeed the Civilian Marksmanship Program provides GI M-1 Garands to qualified buyers. All these issues are yet to be decided.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

all and all - we should all be pleased with the outcome.
The NRA is - I already got the e-mail from them.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The decision, while not perfect, could have been MUCH worse. At the
very least it puts a BIG roadblock in the way of any jurisdiction that
would attempt to outlaw handguns. The fact that the court admitted what
anybody can read for themselves - that the right to bear arms is an
individual right - takes the wind out of the sails of a LOT of anti-gun
activists. It would also seem obvious that the right to self-defense
includes the right to defend oneself against one's own government
should the need arise. I'm of the opinion that that's EXACTLY one of the
things the framers of the Constitution intended.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AndyM wrote:all and all - we should all be pleased with the outcome.
The NRA is - I already got the e-mail from them.
And within 15 minutes of the decision they were already suing Chicago over it's handgun ban.

Let the lawsuits begin!!! :D

Reading a lot of the "pull-quotes" from the majority opinion gives me a lot of hope. Not only a solid affirmation, but a rebuke to the four idiots who voted against the majority - in some cases, by name!

The majority opinion is some 177 pages long, so it will be a while before I can read the whole thing. I'm sure there are parts we won't like, but bottom-line, we live to fight another day due to the decision today!!! :D