No Foxes tonight.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

No Foxes tonight.

Post by gamekeeper »

The young Gamekeeper on the estate where I live saw a Fox heading for one of his woods this morning but could not get a shot, so he asked me to take a look. Well GK Jr was playing cricket so I took a drive over there about 8.30 pm. I decided that if Nath can kill em with an air rifle I'd leave my 9422M with the carrying handle behind and take the 9422LR. I loaded up with a few Rem.Yellow Jackets and put a hand full of CB longs in my pocket, just in case the wood was full of Squirrels. I found a good spot by a Pheasant feeder and started to call, I use my hand to squeak vermin,as I don't get on with store bought calls, well as soon as I started calling, Jays, Magpies and a couple of Buzzards came in straight for me. I thought with all the noise these critters were making any Fox near-bye would surely come and take a look. Well if he did, he saw me and I didnt see him! I moved to another part of the wood and tried again but no luck Still it was good to be out in the green woods with a Lever-Gun in my hands. Sorry this post ain't very interestin' but I thought I'd try and address the balance of so many OT political posts. Interesting and important as they may be. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: No Foxes tonight.

Post by AmBraCol »

Well, thanks for the levergun post - and YES it is interesting, at least to a city bound country boy. Sounds like a good time in the woods indeed.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I consider that to be a good evening. I shot at a wabbit with the 9422 friday no more than 15yds and flubbed it. And no, it was not running. :roll: :evil:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So how did GK Jr bowl?... or is the game into day 4? :lol:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Perhaps you should have tried calling it in with a sticky wicket? :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks to the post. Nice to know that you are human and don't get one every time! :D thanks again
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well I for one really enjoyed your post! I have a good imagination, and I was out there with you in my mind as you recounted your evening. Thanks for posting. Next time, take a camera and include a shot of your surroundings. That will make it even better.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Wish I was there with you. In the woods.....not that side of the pond.....tried that.....
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

game keeper, thank's for the good story. Anytime you can leave the house and walk the woods with a levergun, that is a good day.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Well sounds like you have a sly fox.Bound to make the hunt very interesting. :) I also enjoy your posts.Better luck next time. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Next time... next time!

Thanks for the story! :D
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Last deer season, Nov. 07. I was getting ready to climb into my ladder stand. I placed some buck lure on a couple branches out about thirty feet from the stand. I put it on a limb about four feet off the ground. I walked back to the ladder and started to climb. I got about half way up the ladder and I could hear something coming through the woods. I thought what the heck, already? I hurried up the ladder and sat down and chambered the rile. In came two of the biggest prettiest foxes I have ever seen. They sniffed around that sent bomb for about five minutes. They stood on their hind legs, jumped in the air they really were curious about that thing. They eventually became uninterested and ran away without paying me any attention. I see fox almost every time I sit in a stand, but never have I seen them do what they did this day.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hmmm, never thought about using Buck Lure. :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for you GK, In't it amazing ah, I bet if you went back with a shotgun for them birds and squealed nowt ud show but a fox about 70yds away sitting :roll:
Reminds me of last january when I stood with my back to a rock buttress in a wood and called (94 present) only to have within moments a fox come charging over the rock and kick dirt down my neck as he turned and legged it. Never did see him just smelt him (may of been a her though, dun no).
Them birds want shifting with that 28 and put the camera in your pocket :wink:
I was out last night but blanked it, don't matter though, I was out.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

GameKeeper, You mentioned squirrels. Are they considered pests or table fare?

TomF
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

TomF wrote:GameKeeper, You mentioned squirrels. Are they considered pests or table fare?

TomF
The grey squirrels are considered a pest and can be shot all year round, as many as you like. They are at last being seen as good eating but not many folks will try them. Shame, I prefer them to rabbit.
The red squirrel is quite rare and a protected species. In the few areas where reds are still found it is all out war on the greys!

I use CB longs so I can take shots without fearing the bullets will travel too far in this overcrowded Island. My 28GA 870 is also a great squirrel gun. :wink:

Nath,
I somehow always manage to have the wrong gun at the wrong time! Got to get me one of those Savage Mod.24s in .22/.410 or maybe .22Mag 20GA. Which would you choose?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Which would I choose- any GK. I had a 22H/12g 3" for a few years. The hornet was as accurate as any bolt . I shot it scoped and unscoped with equal good results, the shot barrel came with three choke tubes. The top barrel firing pin broke so I made another.
The 22mag/20g I had was not so good ,I did not have it long.
A friend had a 22/20g, an old one but very tidy and that was a peach. It was accurate with any 22 and the fine irons on it made for easy shooting. He would down birds regular with it and when he got rid I was very pressured to buy it but I did not :cry:
Of them all the 22/20 would be my choice, it carried better and they are best shot off hand and so any record breaking distance shots are not really thier field.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

GK, Eating squirrels takenwith shot is hard on the teeth. I certainly would prefer something accurate inthe 22 short or even an air rifle ( I have a 40 year old Sheridan that thumps limb rats with ease) We call grey squirrels "cat" squirrels here while the red squirrels are "fox" squirrels. They are excellent table fare whether fried stewed or barbequed. I manage several squirrels each, enough to remind myself just how much folks are missing by not eating such a tasty animal.

TomF
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

here ya go game keeper,, one i shot :mrgreen:

50 yards marlin 1895 xlr 45-70 leverevolution ammo
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TomF wrote:GK, Eating squirrels takenwith shot is hard on the teeth. I certainly would prefer something accurate inthe 22 short or even an air rifle ( I have a 40 year old Sheridan that thumps limb rats with ease) We call grey squirrels "cat" squirrels here while the red squirrels are "fox" squirrels. They are excellent table fare whether fried stewed or barbequed. I manage several squirrels each, enough to remind myself just how much folks are missing by not eating such a tasty animal.

TomF
Not really... unless you are partial to more than the hind quarters.

Even with Shot I try to not hit anything south of the diaphram.

Oh, and I dunno where you are, but Fox Squirrels and Red suirrrels are distinctly different species. Reds are small, mean and mostly avoid humans, Fox(s) are big and friendly. I had one that would ring my doorbell for walnut meat.

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hatchettjack,

I reckon I can safely say your 45/70 did a lot more damage than Nath's pellet gun but both the foxes ended up just as dead! :wink:

I don't know now whether I'm under-gunned or over-gunned! :?
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

GAME KEEPER, JUST AS LONG AS YOU ARE GUNNED THATS ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS :mrgreen:
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT