Gotta have one!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sanchez
Levergunner

Gotta have one!

Post by sanchez »

:D Greetings. First time poster here. I made the fortunate/or un- :o move of picking up and fondling one of my friend's commemorative Winchesters yesterday. Hadn't touched a lever gun since my grandad's when I was about 14. Man, hit me like a ton of bricks. What a great design. So, probably a very familiar story.

What I'm hoping to find is something in a Marlin 30-30. As Plain Jane as possible. Hoping for a 24" or so barrel; makes it easier for me to use the iron sights. Am I dreaming? Any advice on where to look for new or old would be appreciated. I'm not a collector. Just would like something affordable to shoot. Had fun with some AK's for a while, but the thrill of them has long passed and I've sold all of them. Do have a bunch of 7.62x39 ammo to trade if anybody has an interest.

Anyway, just trying to get my feet on the ground with something basic, if possible. Thanks for your time.
the rifleman knew what he was doing
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

Warning, just one won't do it.........A plain jane 336 is a wonderful choice. If it's a little dinged up, so much the better for price. Check the crown, clean 'er out and throw it in the back of the truck and go hunting :wink:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I'd suggest an older 336A, preferably one made in the 1950's, in .30-30 or .35 Remington. I currently have a .35 made in 1952, and it is one sweet rifle. 24" barrel, 2/3 length magazine tube, "plain Jane" but solid quality. Search nearby pawn shops and online auction sites like GunBroker and AuctionArms. Nice ones can be had for around $300, a bit more if really pristine, a bit less if a bit "experienced".
sanchez
Levergunner

gotta have one

Post by sanchez »

Thanks, folks. Have our local "big" gun show coming up in two weeks; will definitely be looking there ... might be able to swap some of the AK ammo there. And then like you said in the mean time, pawn shops etc. Glad the Marlin is a good starter choice. My buddy thought the same thing. But I'll bet if he'd had a Winchester to sell, that would have been the suggestion :lol: No crime there! See you on the boards.
November
Levergunner

Post by November »

Sanchez,
Welcome! I remember my first centerfire rifle was a lever-action 30-30. I let it go and recently replaced it with a Puma 92 lever-action (Winchester copy) in 357mag. I'd be interested in some of that AK ammo if you decide to ship it. Good luck with your Marlin search.
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Gotta have one!

Post by WyrTwister »

sanchez wrote::D Greetings. First time poster here. I made the fortunate/or un- :o move of picking up and fondling one of my friend's commemorative Winchesters yesterday. Hadn't touched a lever gun since my grandad's when I was about 14. Man, hit me like a ton of bricks. What a great design. So, probably a very familiar story.

What I'm hoping to find is something in a Marlin 30-30. As Plain Jane as possible. Hoping for a 24" or so barrel; makes it easier for me to use the iron sights. Am I dreaming? Any advice on where to look for new or old would be appreciated. I'm not a collector. Just would like something affordable to shoot. Had fun with some AK's for a while, but the thrill of them has long passed and I've sold all of them. Do have a bunch of 7.62x39 ammo to trade if anybody has an interest.

Anyway, just trying to get my feet on the ground with something basic, if possible. Thanks for your time.

Walley World

Wyr
God bless
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Image¡Bienvenido a LeverGun!
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Levergunner 2.0

Re: gotta have one

sanchez wrote:Thanks, folks. Have our local "big" gun show coming up in two weeks; will definitely be looking there ... might be able to swap some of the AK ammo there. And then like you said in the mean time, pawn shops etc. Glad the Marlin is a good starter choice. My buddy thought the same thing. But I'll bet if he'd had a Winchester to sell, that would have been the suggestion :lol: No crime there! See you on the boards.
Nothing wrong with a Wrenchchester.... :wink:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Where are you located? Possible trade......
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
sanchez
Levergunner

gotta have one

Post by sanchez »

took a quick look at levergunluvers.com Definitely bears further investigation. Also, I live in Olympia, Wa. if that plays into anyone's trade interest. thanks again
Levergunner 2.0

Re: gotta have one

sanchez wrote:took a quick look at levergunluvers.com Definitely bears further investigation. Also, I live in Olympia, Wa. if that plays into anyone's trade interest. thanks again
Quite a few of us live in the same general area.......PM me with a price for AK ammo.... Any SKS stripper clips?
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Welcome!

Sorry you've got the disease. Not sorry you like the leverguns, sorry you'll be another in competition for them. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Welcome aboard, Sanchez.

NOW...

You can get a Marlin for around $300.00 in any pawn shop, but if you spend a bit more, you can have a Winchester.

I believe Winchester is a better quality gun, though Marlins shoot just fine.
It's more the style of the Marlins I don't like. They're too chintzy looking, even thought they are sturdy).

Anyhoo, shop around, and hit a few pawn shops. Heck, hit a few gun shops!
One can get a good quality used gun for cheap if one works for it a little.
If the outside appearance isn't a big deal to you, just be sure the INSIDE is clean and in good shape. YOu don't want to bring home a new laver and have it shooting 11-inch groups with factory ammo due to a worn out or pitted bore...

Food for thought.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Welcome sanchez!
My first lever was and is a 1949 336A in 30-30 just like Pisgah said.
If there is such a thing as a classic Marlin that is it.
Enjoy your first, probably wont be your last :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire!!! :D