OT- PIG ROAST

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

OT- PIG ROAST

Post by papabear »

I"m looking for a new Sauce for a pig roast. I bin using the same one for years and getting bored with it. I'm looking for some thing with a bite that every one can enjoy. I like a sauce that i can brush on. I usually roast a pig around 50 to 75 lbs.
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
txpete
Departed Friend

Re: OT- PIG ROAST

Post by txpete »

this stuff has a bite to it and tasty for pork.
pete

https://rudysbbq.com/c-2-sause.aspx
DAV life member.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You might try "FRANK'S® RedHot® Chile 'n Lime™ Hot Sauce" - it is not a traditional barbeque sauce, but the LIME version is one of my favorite spicer-uppers for meat of all kinds. The plain is at most stores, and is ok, but nothing special; however, the LIME rocks...!

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipe/fran ... c.jsp?fc=1
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Try the Jack Daniels "Old No.7" and "Honey Smokehouse". This is the sauce that I make for stuff in the kitchen.

1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
4Tsp Mustard
4Tsp honey
4Tsp Molassas
2tsp garlic powder
2tsp onion powder
1tsp black pepper
OPTIONAL- Cayenne, chili powder
Just mix it up in a pan on low heat.

This flows well in my injector and gets rave reviews on my Boston Butt (pulled pork), ribs and brisket. It's kind of a Southern/Carolina style sauce, sweet and tangy.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

don't forget the dry rub the night before!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Around here it's common to do a Mojo (I think it's pronounced mo-ho) sauce on pigs. The skin of the animal is sliced in various places and peeled garlic cloves are inserted. The pigs are then roasted and basted in a sauce made of sour orange, onion, and crushed garlic cloves, etc. This sauce is also used over the various cuts of the pig as it is served. A friend of mine does this most every time he does a pig ... but then, his wife is Cuban and this is their thing. Here's a recipe that looks right ...

http://www.tasteofcuba.com/mojo.html

That recipe leaves out the thinly sliced onions which I think are critical. Also, he has a substitute you can do for sour orange juice but if you can find it, I'd try to get the actual sour orange. If you add the onion, it should be quickly cooked with the garlic as stated. It should still be fairly firm with some crunch to it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Rimfire is right about the Mojo. It is a really great taste and a lot different from boring old Bar B Que. I just had some for lunch myself. Along with yellow rice, Black beans, and fried Plantains is just can't be beat. Around here you can buy Mojo sauce by the quart or the gallon in some stores. If you can soak the meat in the sauce overnight it will also make the meat more tender than any other pork you've ever had.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

PIG ROAST - Reminds me of a story. When I was OIC of SEA CLIFF, a 3 man submersible that could go 20,000 feet, I decided to pay for a Pig Roast for my command, about 12 of us. I gave the guys the money, they went and got the pig from a local farm, brought it by the office for the obligatory photos and goofing around, then they went off to dig the pit in the back yard where they were going to cook it all day long Hawaian style, over a bed of coals, wrapped and buried. I was going to join them later. Long story short, when they were digging the hole for the pit in their back yard, they hit the gas line coming into the house. Fortunately, they only caused a leak and no explosion. The gas company showed up and were working on the line when I showed up. The guy who owned the house was there, the rest had gone to the beach for try two. I waited till the repairs were complete and then the remaining crewman and I went to the beach just in time for them to pull the pig out of the sand. It was very good, especially with all the laughter and beer that went along with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV-4_Sea_Cliff
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Billy Bones BBQ sauce. The "original" has a nice bite to it. I get back to the "home office" in Midland (MI) about once per year and buy up a year's supply every trip!!! :D
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

Try Sticky Fingers. They have several sauces to pick from. I've had them all and like them all.
http://www.stickyfingersonline.com/

I also like the Jack Daniels Old # 7.
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Thank you every one for your replays i have print them out and will try them to find one that we all like for the next roast
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Shawn's recipe is a lot like the one I use, except I make about a gallon of it at a time and liberally baste the piggie with it whilst it's cooking.

The 'mojo' sauce is available in the spice section of the supermarket, at least it is in Florida. I also make a sauce from Dijon Mustard, Lime Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar and Adobo powder that makes a great basting/bbq sauce.

My favorite roast piggie story...about ten years ago a bunch of my buddies and I had an encampment at a local Scottish Festival (S. Florida). We decided to roast a couple of piggies over our firepit. We'd been roasting pork shoulders, mutton, even a leg of venison, but this was our first attempt at pigs.

We cooked the first pig all day on Saturday, over a oak-fed coal bed. We had the pig a bit too close to the coals and the marrow rendered and bubbled out, spoiling most of the meat. We stripped off what we could, the meat was literally falling off the bone. then we looked around the park where the festival was being held, trying to find a place to dispose of 75+ lbs of roast pig...all of the park garbage bins were overflowing with garbage, it had been a busy saturday and the park staff hadn't emptied any of them.

Across from the encampment area was a row of porta-potties. So, after nightfall, my friend John and I huffed the pig over to the nearest porta-john and dumped it into the commode. problem solved. (Or so we thought...)

The next a.m., we rose early and started the fire, keeping the coals spread out and spitting the next pig a little higher, and we made sure to keeep it turning at a brisk pace so as not to repeat the mistake we made the previous time...

Around 9am a sanitation truck came by to 'suck out' the porta johns. We sat in our camp, idly sipping coffee and watching as the sanitation worker went from toilet to toilet, with the unenvyable task of sucking out the septic tanks...

He reached the last porta-john, stuck the hose in...and after a second or two of rumbling, swishing and sucking, a horrible roaring rumbling noise rose from the truck's pump motor. The worker shut off the motor and donned a pair of armpit-length rubbe gloves as John and I exchanged uneasy glances, having an inkling as to what had just clogged the pump.

The workman started to clear out the pump, then suddenly, he leapt back from the pump trap like he'd seen a ghost. he staggered a few feet away and vomited into a bush, then ran off, leaving the truck just sitting there.

John looked over at me. "This ain't good," he ventured.

A few minutes later, the sanitation worker was back, with a couple of rangers in tow. A few minutes later a couple of P. Beach County Sheriff's deputies arrived. Then a few more...then a few more.

"Cover up our pig," I whispered to John, and we threw the spitted pig into an igloo cooler and covered it with a towel.

Now a crime scene unit was there, as well. For four or five hours then messed about with the contents of the porta-john while we over at our encampment tried to look innocent and porcine-free. The second pig was carried to our rear kitchen and we put it, wrapped in foil, into my propane grill on low.

Finally one of my friends ambled over and, stopping at the crime-scene tape, asked what was going on.

A deputy said a body of a child (!) had ben found stuffed in the porta john, and a few minutes later a pair of deputies came over to take statements, asking if we'd seen anyone suspicious in the park the previous evening.... :?

Well, I have the deepest respect for the law...and I certainly didn't want them wasting their time digging through a porta john...but I was younger, not as noble and wise as I am today...and I took the coward's way out. I kept my mouth shut.

It was around sundown when the recovered the skull from the bottom of the tank. A great murmer of disbelief rose from the ranks of the LE crowd clustered around the porta-johns, and in no short order a deputy came back over, informing us that they were now pretty sure that 'a pig or a lamb' had been dumped into the porta-john instead of a child....

We did our best to retain our composure until ofter the gendarmes departed the scene. Suffice it tosay, once they left, we had a pretty good chuckle over it. And when we finished cooking the second pig, it was delicious. And we made sure to throw the carcass in a dumpster when we were done... :wink: