1894 sight help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

1894 sight help

Post by 95fan »

I have a slight sight problem for my 1894 td. The origional sight was filed down (previous owner) for long distance shooting, So I decided to get a taller one for all around use. The new sight is a lyman 39 ivory bead, and with it installed there is aproximatley 10 thousandths of an inch of space between the base and the bottom of the dovetail. The origional winchester sight had a set screw to fix this problem, but there is not enough room to install a set screw on the lyman. I have heard that you can fill the gap with paper until the sight is tight, but I think I want a more permanant solution.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I had a similar problem and used a bit of brass shimstock to tighten everything up, did it years ago and sight is still in place ok.
Hope this helps.

Pete
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, I think I remember reading about the brass shim approach on the "old" forum. That should do the trick! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A brass shim can be cut from an empty cartridge case, pounded flat, and trimmed smaller than the area of the sight base.

Ditto, a section of one of those sample credit cards that come in the mail every now & then.

The edge of both can be hidden/camo'd with a black Sharpie, applied judicially. :roll:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,226.htm

They have a Lyman reproduction front sight with the set screw.

Joe
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

The brass shim sounds like a good idea. I think I will give it a try this afternoon. Thanks Guys
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've used shims cut from soda cans before. No worry about rust either.