OT - Standard Arms Company rifles - anyone got one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Standard Arms Company rifles - anyone got one?

Post by airedaleman »

I was mulling over the firearms that have passed through my hands during the past 57-odd years, and dredged up reminiscences of a Standard Arms Company pump rifle (their Model M - for manual operation) in .25 Remington. The company's main claim to fame was the introduction, in 1909, of a gas-operated autoloader in .25, .30, and .35 Remington.(their model G - for gas operation). The autoloader could be switched to manual operation by closing the gas port. The pump gun apparently was made for traditionalists (and also because the Model G probably didn't work all that well). I once saw a Model G in the window of a small gun shop in Ellenville, New York, but didn't get to handle it ( I was about 14 at the time, and the owner was a grouch. You could look, but not touch) I bought the pump gun about 10 years later from a second-hand tool store in Newark, N.J. I had acquired a fair amount of .25 Remington ammunition with a Model 8 Remington I bought from a co-worker's father, and I had a great time burning it up in both rifles. I believe Standard Arms folded in 1914, which would lead one to believe production of either model was very limited. Anyone out there have one now?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
lozen
Levergunner

Re: OT - Standard Arms Company rifles - anyone got one?

Post by lozen »

I've got an M in 30 Rem. I think they're neat, with the ornate brass butt plate, and forend with the grizzley and moose. Mine has nicely figured wood too.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Picture ???
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

A friend of mine just bought one. We shot it a couple weeks ago. First I had heard of one.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have seen them, handled the bi-operational (gas/pump) gun but was not allowed to shoot it. The owner said it didn't work well as a pump or semi-auto (it was a .35). I wouldn't buy one. They just don't float my boat.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson