Marlin 308 MX

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 308 MX

Post by Marlin .35 »

I have recently purchased a Marlin 336 in .308MX. I even went all out and put Burris base and rings and a new Leupold 2x7 scope on it. From all the reports I have heard, this is a 300 yd rifle. It seems that it should have a scope on it to take advantage of that. But, then I got to thinking, how many 300 yd shots have I taken in 45 years of deer hunting?? The answer is one, and I missed!! All the rest are under 75 yards. So, I am thinking of taking off the scope, and putting a Williams Guide Peep Sight on it. At almost 66 years my eyes are better able with the scope, but I can use peep sights to about 150, before I get all blurred up. A peep would also make the gun lighter, and mor handier. What do you guys think? I would appreciate hearing!! Thanks, Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 308 MX

Post by AJMD429 »

If it's your only centerfire levergun, maybe use the aperture sight. On the other hand, if you have some other "short range" option, like an 1894 in some chambering, you might want to consider that one your "naked eye" gun, and the 308mx your "reach out and touch" gun.

I'd at least put a high power scope on it and put it through the wringer so you know what it CAN do at various ranges, so even if you take the scope off later, you know the gun's true potential without limiting it to your own eyesight.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

What AJMD 429 said Art! I'd stay with the peep if I could. Edit: I didn't see that you already had the scope on it the first time through. Just shoot it and give us a range report when you can..... :)
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

heck you got the scope on it you may as well go shoot it.
you may or may not like it.
i like opens on some of mine and scopes on others
if i had a marlin 308 i think i would keep the scope on it.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Art, I'm with Runfiverun on this one. I'm legally blind in my right eye, and 20/70 in my left eye if I squint. With my glasses I'm 20/30. So, I'm no hawkeye. But I really don't see that much difference between open sights and aperture sights. You can only focus on one thing at a time anyhow, so the front sight is all that matters whether open or aperture sights.

Just take your rifle out and shoot it. Shoot it with open sights. Shoot it with a scope. Shoot it with an aperture, and go with what works best for you!

All of us here get so sucked into our equipment making us a better shot (and that applies to me too!), when the reality is skill is the single most important factor, and that only happens with practice, practice, and more practice!

Go shoot it, and have fun doing so! :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now that makes sense.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Since you already have it set up, I'd leave the scope on it. You may be presented with that 300 yard shot again, and this time you could redeem youself. :D
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If you've got a 300 yd range and the $$ and time to do trajectory sighting, we'd all be the wiser for it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Were it mine it would be drilled and tapped for a side mount receiver sight and also have a blade front sight installed.

But as has been said, since you already got the scope on it, why not try it. After that you can put the scope in the classifieds and recoup some of your money.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***