OT - Hunting Handgun Thoughts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HairyHook
Levergunner

OT - Hunting Handgun Thoughts

Post by HairyHook »

I am considering a new hunting handgun for North American big game, i.e. deer, elk, boar, bison(?), etc. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, what do you think about SA vs DA, make & model, caliber, barrel length, sights, and gunsmiths.

Thanks for the help,

HairyHook
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Hunting Handgun Thoughts

Post by 86er »

I've used a bunch of .44 Mags and frankly, the 45 Colt or its relative 45's with more "power" just work better than the 44's on game. I don't know why a few thousanths of an inch make a difference but it does. Not that the game isn't dead with the 44, just that there is a noticable difference on the effect at impact with the 45's. I happen to like the 4" barrel guns, but for the best accuracy and recoil management plus the ability to add a scope if desired, at least 5 inch up to 7 1/2 inch is needed. I have used the Ruger BH and SHH/H's in a variety of configurations. Can't judge them against others because I haven't used any others, but I sure would like a tricked out Ruger Redhawk 5" bbl in 45 Colt.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have hunted big game with ruger sbh, redhawks, S&W 29's, TC contenders, The SBH was a predator from Mag-na-port arms in 4 5/8" barrel with high viz C-more sights and an action job. One of the best pig and short range pistols I have ever owned. The redhawk was a 5 1/2 inch with v rear sight and ball front. It was one of my favorite deer pistols. The S&W was a 6 inch with scope rings and leopold scope. Accurate but felt "fragile" compared to the rugers. The T/C contender series has it all over any other pistol for a hunting pistol. You can use .22 for small game, perhaps .35 rem or .45-70 for bigger stuff, any centerfire pistol for smaller stuff. It can be scoped or not. Very versatile. Very Accurate. you can change the barrels, barrel lengths, calibers, etc. Its a bit bulky but the list of animals you are talking about, along with the rest that walk or crawl in North America can be taken with the T/C. Using some of the wildcat barrels by SSK or others makes it a world wide hunting pistol. That being said, I now carry a 5 1/2" Freedom Arms .45lc with octagaon barrel for my pistol hunting needs. Its every bit of the pistol the SBH was with a wonderful extra 7/8" barrel, has the sights of the Redhawk, sturdier than the 29 and more compact than the TC (and I have decided to give up the versatility for speciality, I have a FA .22 and .22mag too). Loaded with some heavy +P loads, it will take any game animal I am ever going to see in this country. There you have it. 20 years of handgun hunting, my favorite pistols and the reasons I have arrived where I am. Good luck in your choices.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

rhohns94 covered it very well...

This was my meat gun in Alaska. Lost count of how many deer it took. It has a very fine bead front sight and a peep rear. I loaded .44 325g hard cast pb bullets. I never lost a deer, the majority were dead right there, the heart shot ones ran but not far, and I only ever recovered one bullet. My daughter took some deer and a caribou with it. I never shot one with a 45 cal bullet so I can't make the comparison, but that gun hammered them down at ranges from point blank to around a eighty yards or so.

I carry a 5 1/2" .44 redhawk now as a backup to my guide gun because I decided a double action was a better bet for warding off bears. My current load for it is a 405g hard cast bullet that I can clump into the kill zone out to 45 yards that I know of. I haven't discovered the practical limit yet. That will take a lot of deer in SE Alaska, and any animal you can get within bow and arrow range will be DRT.

If I were starting fresh I'd buy the Ruger Alaskan, it's definately handier than my redhawk, and I know I can get the same accuracy to fifty yards with it. I'd be in a quandry though choosing the caliber. I'm so conservative I'd probably get it in .44 so I can use the same ammo, but the .480 has a lot of appeal, even though it's only a five-shot. 454? That would be another option, but I dislike high pressure loads so I wouldn't be shooting factory ammo.

So a lot of it is hunting style. If you want sure kills to around a hundred yards, then that SBH is really hard to beat. If you have other parameters then it's open season on a lot of really fine options.

Grizz
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I use a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull, with a red-dot, and limit my shots on game to 125 yards - due to my limitations, not the gun's.

I use mid-range ammo for Whitetails, and save the full-powered ammo for larger game - practicing my handling & trigger snapping with .45 Colt loads.

Either a SA or DA gun will do, since I never hunted/shot an animal using anything other than the single-action pull.
Just make sure the trigger pull is smooth and correct - and the sighting system to your liking.

I would further recommend hunting carry in a non-leather shoulder or cross-chest/bandolier holster (Bianchi Ranger H.U.S.H.), since leather can "creak" at inopportune moments, and other holster styles can imped shooting/hunting. ( the chest rigs can be slid aroud to one's back while the gun is in hand)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I see the handgun as portable (I prefer the 5" and shorter guns, mostly shorter) and a bow range alternative to rifle hunting. I don't scope my guns and don't have eyes to shoot to long distances on game in our forests. I like to get close. That said I'm nowhere near as successful hunting with the handgun (deer and such) as many others. But 4" handguns will handle groundhogs to 80+ yards even in my hands. I think Mike has got it right.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I've hunted with 7 1/2" superblackhawks mostly, groundhogs and whitetails, settling on 240 XTPs over either 2400 or IMR 4227. The bullets behave like they are supposed to, and the revolvers have always been accurate, except for the old model (good riddance). For the money, I can't seen a better hunting revolver.

Nowadays, being older and more contrary, I use a 5.5" .45 colt Blackhawk and no longer own a .44. Like Hobie mentioned, revolvers are for the challenge of closer up and for portability. If I need more range, the .45 colt goes into a rifle. If I need more range, I get closer. Other than replacing the stocks, my hunting revolver is stock. It shoots better than I can, and it works every time.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

HairyHook wrote:I am considering a new hunting handgun for North American big game, i.e. deer, elk, boar, bison(?), etc. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, what do you think about SA vs DA, make & model, caliber, barrel length, sights, and gunsmiths.

Thanks for the help,

HairyHook

Experience:
I have been hunting with a handgun for more than 45 years.
Thoughts:
They work.
SA vs. DA:
No "vs". Use what you like best -- especially, USE WHAT YOU SHOOT THE BEST
Make:
Yes.. get a made one... don't make it yourself :lol:
Model:
See "vs"
Caliber:
Any will work. The bigger bores are more forgiving.
Barrel length:
It's supposed to be "handy". Any length that is not handy can be replaced by a more effective rifle.
Sights:
By all means have sights on it. :lol:
Gunsmith:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Use the durn thing until you know YOU are better than it is. If that ever happens then check out the gunsmiths.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've owned and carried all of the major contenders in the revolver world at one time or another. I pack a sidearm in the woods for close work as I almost always have a rifle, but the revolver is always with me. I've had Linebaugh's 475, 44 mags, 454's, 45 Colts and most everything imbetween that is common caliber. I've settled on the FA 83 w/7.5" bbl. as my primary woods gun. My first experience with an FA in 454 was a mistake, I had FA cut the 7.5" down to ejector rod length. What a blast cannon. I sold it and bought another 7.5", it's in 454 and I have the option of changing out the cylinder to 45 Colt or a 45 ACP. I can do almost anything I want to with the FA. I occassionally pack my Colt SAA in 45 Colt when riding as it's a short bbl. and more packable on horseback. I prefer adjustable sights. There's a number of excellent gunsmiths at the moment working on revolvers. I'd personally have John Linebaugh or Alan Harton do the work, but there's a whole lot more out there doing excellent stuff, Clements, Bowen, etc..
Old Law Dawg
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I have a 657, 6" with a scope that I would like to try out on a deer. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one when I carry the revolver, only when I don't :mrgreen: :roll:

Like others have said, the difference between SA and DA really depends on you and your preferences. A lot of folks that I know find it more comfortable to shoot the SA's because of the grip design (rocking back rather than twisting.) The best pistol shooting I have ever done was with a SBH sillouete(I know I didn't spell that right) using mild reloads at 200yds. I still would not have used it hunting though.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting gentlemen. I haven't hunted with a handgun and don't necessarily intend to. I am getting a 7 1/2" SBH which sounds very suitable.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I have used Ruger Blackhawks in 44 and 45 to take TX whitetails. Either will work fine. I am surprised that the Bisley was not mentioned. I prefer it over the BH and SBH gripframes. As JimT said, bigbores are more forgiving and choose the model you shoot best.

Good Luck in your quest

TomF
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I would add my opinion here, that for all but one of your list the 44 and above are very adequate provided you shoot them well. The one reservation I would have would be the Bison. I think you would need something heavier than most handguns can work with on those. I knew one fella who used a .454 on a bull Bison at close range, and using factory 300 gr. ammo it didn't do very well. In a confrontational situation with one of those beasts, a fella might get his clothes soiled.

Ed
shawn45
Levergunner

Post by shawn45 »

I always carry one of my FA 454 when I am in the country. One is 4 3/4 with adjustable sights or a 6 inch with 2x scope. I rarely cary a rifle and the only one I have carried in years is my new 45-70 SS GG. I have used a 44 Redhawk, a 4 /58 Blackhawk in 45lc, then I had it converted to a 5 shot 45 colt. They all have adjustable sight and I only have one revolver that has fixed sights and it is a pseudo Sixgunner special by Clements that has a drift adjustable front sight. I have never had a hunt ruined by the sights being knocked off. I have only used a handgun for deer for years.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

HH:

I have hunted for close to twenty-five years will all kinds of handguns. TC Contenders, SA and DA revolvers, autoloaders( small game and predators) as well as muzzleloading handguns.

To me, the best hunting handgun around is made by Thompson Center. I love their Contender/G2 and the ability to change barrels to different calibers. My favorite set up consists of a 16" tapered blued barrel in 45-70 with a TSOB base and 1.5 x 4 power Burris scope. I have taken deer, black bear, wild boar and moose with that gun.

I'd get one with a 22 lr for practice and then get the big kahuna. In fact, get a nice varmint barrel such as a .22 Hornet for practice on varmints and paper. One of the things I do to prep for the season is to shoot my TC with a small caliber with the same barrel size and contour as the 45-70. When I got my first moose permit drawn, I practiced with the 22 lr in various hunting positions at 100 yard targets and then switch to the 45-70 for a few shots.

As far as revolvers are concerned, I happen to like Ruger's Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I know some people will roll their eyes back at the ugliness of that particular gun but it is very accurate out of the box.At least it was for me. I have a 2x Burris scope on detachable rings for it .

I like to carry that as a side arm and the TC as a main hunting gun when out and about.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

I think Jim T pretty well covered it.
I've hunted for years (not so much now that the eyes are are going) with a SBH. I also use a BH 357 or 45 depending on game.
The thing I've found is find a gun you like, find a load that works, and shoot it, shoot it a lot.
When I was younger and had more time for such things I shot a minimum of 20 rds. a day, everyday. I could hit what I was shooting at then.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Seems like I'm all alone here as a 357 mag hunter. First 10 years of my hunting life Eastern Whitetail fell every year to my Ruger Security Six 6". The Keith load. Lung shots mostly although twice that load shot end to end and exited. Larger,heavier,western deer fall to the lung shot also though the end to end might be chancey. Smith & Wesson 6" Model 27 fills the bill now. Six 44's proves I'm not wedded to the 36 calibure. A 44 doesn't drop deer any faster -as close as I get- but I am much more sure of complete penetration on anything save a broadside lung shot. I haven't seen the advantages of the heavier bullets in 44s either. The 44 Keith load has always worked for me also. Then again Deer is the heaviest game I shoot (so far) with a pistol.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

WHAT JIM T SAID,excellent advise
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I use a S&W 586 6" .357 for small to medium stuff (groundhogs up to deer) and a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC for anytime I want/need a heavier caliber.

My suggestion is buy what "feels" right for you and practice with it often. Hunt small game or varmints if you can - hitting a deer sure seems easy once you plink a couple of whistlepigs at longer distances.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I've hunted with a handgun (cannon) since I turned 21 and now I'm 27. I started with the Super Redhawk in 454 and a 7.5" barrel and 260 grainers. I still hunt with that gun alot I can't tell you how many miles that gun now has on it, it's been carried, packed, hauled, toted, and moved. It's my go to hunting hand cannon, oops handgun. I hear that 200 yard shots are possible with the 454 but I've never tried it except for the occasional rock. There are better guns out there for that. With the 454 you pretty much get a 45-70 in a revolver. (Not the BFR) I also hunt turkey with a Taurus Raging Hornet. This gun has a barrel length you have to get used to (10"). My SRH wears a 3-12x32 Burris scope although it doesn't go over about 7x except for rock shooting. I did manage to take a doe with this combo at about 80yards. It's also great for bear in thick cover.

I also hunt with a Encore in 308 if I plan on shooting further than 100yards this is the only pistol barrel I have for the Encore. I also like the G2 in 375JDJ I hunt alot with it and have taken a 233Lbs. black bear with a 210gr. Barnes bullet at 60yards. I have a 14" 44Mag, 410/45Colt, and 300 Whisper for the G2 so I can plink and practice with lighter and cheaper calibers, if you want some fun try squirrel hunting with a 410 pistol!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

bigbore442001 wrote:HH:

I have hunted for close to twenty-five years will all kinds of handguns. TC Contenders, SA and DA revolvers, autoloaders( small game and predators) as well as muzzleloading handguns.

To me, the best hunting handgun around is made by Thompson Center. I love their Contender/G2 and the ability to change barrels to different calibers. My favorite set up consists of a 16" tapered blued barrel in 45-70 with a TSOB base and 1.5 x 4 power Burris scope. I have taken deer, black bear, wild boar and moose with that gun.

I'd get one with a 22 lr for practice and then get the big kahuna. In fact, get a nice varmint barrel such as a .22 Hornet for practice on varmints and paper. One of the things I do to prep for the season is to shoot my TC with a small caliber with the same barrel size and contour as the 45-70. When I got my first moose permit drawn, I practiced with the 22 lr in various hunting positions at 100 yard targets and then switch to the 45-70 for a few shots.

As far as revolvers are concerned, I happen to like Ruger's Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I know some people will roll their eyes back at the ugliness of that particular gun but it is very accurate out of the box.At least it was for me. I have a 2x Burris scope on detachable rings for it .

I like to carry that as a side arm and the TC as a main hunting gun when out and about.
ditto on the G-2.I have a 223 and 12" 357 mag barrels for mine. the 223 throws some nice fireballs :lol:
DAV life member.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I'm happy with my Taurus model 44 SS with 6.5" ported barrel, a real pussycat to shoot.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I will put in my "vote" for one of these:

The loads shown are BRP cast bullet 290 grain gc over 21.5 gr H110.

I like this revolver for the way it holds on target and the way it recoils with heavy loads.

Even though it's got a 7.5" barrel, it carries quite well in the holster shown.

Not a "tool of convenience" in this case but a handgun designated for hunting.

For the tool of convenience, I'd probably go with this:

The 240 grain bullets going 900 fps will serve to poke a hole in a deer or similar sized game at 50 yards - my maximum with this 3" revolver. It carries extremely comfortably and out of the way in that EP Sadlery holster.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!