Yard sales and flea markets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Big K
Levergunner

Yard sales and flea markets

Post by Big K »

Is anyone getting any deals at these things?...Last week I got 4 1/2 boxes of factory 32 Winchester Special ammo for $20....Yesterday I got two more boxes of 32 Special Silvertips for $10 (from two different guys).

To add to the above,yesterday another fellow had a 1968 Model 94 -32 Special on a table for $385..Gun was about 95%...If I didn't already have six of them I'd have bought it...Anyone else come across any deals?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It has been a while since I had an opportunity to go to a yard sale (usually held on Sat. mornings in our area) due to work. Might be able to hit a few this summer as the shop undergoes renovations!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Big K, where are you located? Your ID does not show.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Big K
Levergunner

Post by Big K »

I was at Williams Grove just below Harrisburg....They have a gi-hugic flea market every Sunday..Always get deals....
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My wife and I are pretty religous about going to yard sales every Friday and Saturday morning. Sometime I do real good, other times I strike out completely, 95% of yard sales are used clothes, kids toys, kitchen utensils and old furniture. I probalby average about 2 guns a year and quite a bit of shooting equipment and reloading gear. Last Saturday I bought a complete set of Lee reloading equipment, their Annniversary Reloading Kit, like new in the box, along with 2 full and 1 partial box of .30 caliber hunting bullets, all for $30.00, I will put the set up on ebay and keep the bullets.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I go to a lot of garage sales and flea markets, and I see nothing. If a person has a rifle on the sale, it is usually well worn, with a more than new price on it. Neither have I run into any cartridges or anything to do with reloading. There is plenty of fishing stuff, at way above average pricing!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I live in York, got to get out to those sales more often. I have never found anything firearm related in my area except books.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well I'll be bejabbered! someone else is finding deals too!

It happened to me just a month or so ago, stopped at a rummage sale just outside Palmyra. An experienced lady of 70 or so was clean'n out the house so she would not have as much to take with her this coming fall when she was mov'n to warmer climes.

Short story long, she had a 1941 Lithgow Enfield that looked in pretty good shape. All matching and all there with a spotless bore. She told me to make an offer, I came back and said 495. She said "give me five bucks and we'll call 'er even". Guess what I did. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Elkhunter1
Levergunner

Post by Elkhunter1 »

Short story long, she had a 1941 Lithgow Enfield that looked in pretty good shape. All matching and all there with a spotless bore. She told me to make an offer, I came back and said 495. She said "give me five bucks and we'll call 'er even". Guess what I did. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

That is just wrong. Her old man is beyond the great divide right now planning your demise.
Todd
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

saturday morning, sweetie and I went garage saleing, against my will, I struck up a conversation with the older gentleman who with his wife was having the sale, I told him id much rather be shopping at a gunstore, he asked me what kinda guns I liked, I told him I was a browning nut!!! with that said he told me he had a old gun he would sell, sent his wife inside and she drug out a browning nomad 22 pistol with a extra barrel and extra magazine, :shock: he told me he wouldnt take a penny less then $125 for it :lol: said he had got the gun in the early 70s and shot it 2 times, and the slide bit his thunb , so he never shot it again, needless to say I added it to my collection
I believe I made a "fair deal " on it beings how just 1 magazine for the old belgian pistols normally sell for around $100 these days :shock:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I went on a big garage sale spree a few weeks ago.

Came back with a steel door w/frame($0), rocker w/foot-rocker($5) and a set of golf clubs w/brand-new bag($25).

I seen two guns: A ML that was labeled "Ask before touching" that was overpriced and a sporter 30-06 that should have came home with me but didn't. :x :cry:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:I live in York, got to get out to those sales more often. I have never found anything firearm related in my area except books.
+1

Always seems that everything good gets picked up in the first 1/2 hour - and I just don't want to start that early!!! :wink:
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

All I ever see at these things are kids toys, kids clothes. Literally. I NEVER saw anything gun related at the ones here in NE Ohio. I gave up several years ago. I hit gunshows now for my gun needs.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've never seen any shooting related stuff either, but an acquaintance of mine, an older gentleman who's wife drags him along, tells me the secret is to say "Do you have any hunting of fishing stuff?" That's when people will go inside and dig out long forgotten about rifles.
Slow is just slow.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

cas wrote:but an acquaintance of mine, an older gentleman who's wife drags him along, tells me the secret is to say "Do you have any hunting or fishing stuff?" That's when people will go inside and dig out long forgotten about rifles.
Very true!I am lucky that I live off a Army Post with quite a few retired widows have'n garage sales :wink: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

cas wrote:I've never seen any shooting related stuff either, but an acquaintance of mine, an older gentleman who's wife drags him along, tells me the secret is to say "Do you have any hunting of fishing stuff?" That's when people will go inside and dig out long forgotten about rifles.
Works very well for me, you gotta ask, very seldom is the stuff out on the tables.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You guys have it too good. I live in the 'burbs outside of Orlando. If a firearm showed up on a table at a garage sale in my neighborhood, SWAT would probably be called in by one of the local soccer moms. It's gun shows only for me these days.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The last time I found anything shooting related was about 12 years ago in Phoenix. I picked up a Thumblers vibrator tumbler, a couple partial pounds of gun powder and several boxes of cast bullets. Bullets and powder are long gone, but I'm still using the tumbler.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Big K
Levergunner

Post by Big K »

The flea market that I go to will have anaverage of twenty or so guns each week...They all want high prices but will usually come down about $30-$40 when you "flash the cash"...Quite a bit of old ammo , you just have to get to it before someone else does...There are a lot of shooting hobbiests there besides me....
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I came across 7 Colt SAA at yard sales or estate sales ... all before 1981.
Most looked like they had been in a sock drawer for 50 years

Sold em all short by '83..needed the money.

I have seen a few rifles and shotguns at yard sales the last few years...so far nothing I could not live without.

But.... I am always on the hunt
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a complete IBM computer once. Sound system keyboard, mouse and monitor for $5. Another time my wife came home with a Crossman pellet trap for $1. I also got an H&R 12ga. for $25 once.

Even a blind hog gets and acorn once in a while.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Around here, yard sales used to be very good for guns and antiques but over the years, old baby clothes is all you find anymore. The last time I seen anything good at a yard sale was an 1841 springfield that was completely shot for $75 and I didn't even think it was worth that. Besides guns though, I also collect old carpenter tools and yard sales have sure kept me in business on that aspect.