Remington 45-70 405gr JSP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Remington 45-70 405gr JSP

Post by meanc »

I've heard these bullets, when crimped in the top crimp groove, will be too long to cycle in a Marlin 1895, and must be seated deeper and crimped somewhere on the shoulder of the bullet to accomodate an OAL that will cycle.

Does anyone have any experience with this and exactly how much deeper the bullet must be seated?
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

yes this is true. Your loading book should have an overall cartridge lenght listed for the 1895 Marlin - my Speer book does IIRC.

Sorry I can't tell you what that number is...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Montanan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Montanan »

Here is a pic of differant .458 jacketed bullets. Notice bullet 3 and 4, bullet #3 being a 400-gr Speer JSP and bullet #4 a 405-gr Rem 405-gr. You will have to seat the Rem 405-gr above the hump with a firm but not hard crimp.

You can get a Lee factory crimp die if you feel you need to.

Your total OAL is 2.545"

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My OAL for my loads are 2.55 with Rem 405s and it usually lands right in the top crimp groove.....Cycles in my 1895GS and 1895CB just fine and dandy...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They cycle fine in my Marlin LTDIII and my Browning '86 seated in the middle of the top crimp groove as well.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Max case length is 2.105" for the 45-70. In his article Handloading for the Marlin Model 1895, Brian Pearce trimmed the brass to 2.095". With the Remington 405 Softpoints the oal was 2.525". The longest oal was with Cast Performance 405 gr & 420 gr LFNGC bullets at 2.55". All loads functioned w/o problems.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Can you "re-groove" bullets with some sort of cannelure making tool reasonably easily/inexpensively? It seems like it would be a fairly easy thing to do with a relatively simple tool/device. :?:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, several companies make canneluring tools.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

If someone who has a stash of the 405gr Remingtons on hand could take some measurements of the bullet for me, it'd be much appreciated.

I'd like the following measurements :

total length.

distance from base to the center of 1st cannelure.

distance from base to the center of 2nd cannelure.

width of the band between the cannelures.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I have some of the 405 you are asking about ( Rem 405 JSP)

With old eyes and old calibers, this is what I came up with.

OAL 1.001-1.002

base to cl of first cannelure .225

base to cl of second cannelure .405

between cannelures .100

width of cannelures .080

I hope this helps.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Can you "re-groove" bullets with some sort of cannelure making tool reasonably easily/inexpensively? It seems like it would be a fairly easy thing to do with a relatively simple tool/device. :?:
A Lee Factory Crimp Die will make that unnecessary....I can't do without one of these for each caliber...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Thanks Bis and everyone else for the the replies.

I just wanted to make sure before I ordered some up and/or had to start thinking about just trimming my cases down to accomodate them.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Cas,

I may not be correct in my assumption, but every bullet I've seen crimped, be it factory new / factory reload / or someone else's load, has always been crimped into the cannelure.

I've never seen a factory round with a cannelured bullet crimped anywhere outside of it.

These 405gr JSPs are the only ones I've heard it being done with.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I just checked the Remington factory 405 gr. .45-70 I have. I measures COL of 2.539" and bullets are crimped as CAS describes. While it appeared that the bullets might seem to be crimped in a cannelure comparing the Remington 405 gr. bullet to the loaded cartridge made it clear that they were not. The Remington brass has a case cannelure/crimp to prevent bullet set-back in the case.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Hobie,

A friend measured his Remington factory round and used the measurements from above and determined they are also crimped as you and Cas described.

Like I said, these are the only bullets I've heard of or have seen that have the crimp outside the cannelure.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Just wanted to clear this up... :wink: Yeah most bullets ARE crimped in the cannelure. Most bullets don't have this design "feature".
Sincerely,

Hobie

meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Yeah, it seems a little odd.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I meant to add that... It was more common with BP cartridges as the full case of BP held the bullet forward.
Sincerely,

Hobie

TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Way back when, I checked a box of factgory Remington 405s. The case is crimped at the shoulder of the bullet. I tried to crimp in the cannelure but it would not cycle in my 1895G.

TomF
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Remington 45-70 405gr JSP

Post by Leverdude »

Hobie wrote:I just checked the Remington factory 405 gr. .45-70 I have. I measures COL of 2.539" and bullets are crimped as CAS describes. While it appeared that the bullets might seem to be crimped in a cannelure comparing the Remington 405 gr. bullet to the loaded cartridge made it clear that they were not. The Remington brass has a case cannelure/crimp to prevent bullet set-back in the case.

Thats common with older calibres. Every factory 38/55 or 32/40 I'v ever seen was crimped behind the bullet.
Would be nice if Rem put a crimp groove where it was useful tho.