For the Ladies (who are buying their first handgun)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

For the Ladies (who are buying their first handgun)

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: For the Ladies (who are buying their first handgun)

Post by wm »

My advice to women is to trust what they have always known. Size does matter more then men like to let on.

Telling a woman that a little gun is right for her because she is a woman is BS. IMO, just like when recommending a firearm for men, you need to consider past experience and willingness to train. The last woman I helped select a home defense gun ended up with a Ruger SR9E. It was a little more gun then she was used to but she embraced the challenge of mastering it and I see she has been signing in at the range 2-3 times a week to practice. If she was just looking for something to own 'just in case' I would have suggested 4" barreled S&W revolver because that is what her father owned and she was accustomed to. Neither is what for decades the industry looked at as a women guns (little autos or revolvers in colorful hues to make them look cute and toy like as though women were incapable of understanding or accepting this is a deadly weapon).

I was at a gun shop recently and a woman came in and told the clerk she was looking for a Sig Sauer 226. He told her no, and then proceeded to mansplain to her in a condescending tone that was too much gun for a little woman like her and instead he recommended a Beretta Pico or Taurus Spectrum in 380 & some time with him after the shop closed showing her how to use it. She told him to 'F--- you & kiss my butt …… I shot expert with the Sig in the Marine Corps for 6 years as an MP and I didn't forget a darn thing about the Sig and how to use it in the month since I left the service!" and walked out of the shop.

I admire her for that.

I have strong opinions on this subject. Probably because of the strong women that populate my family.

Wm.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

WM: That's about the best darned anecdote I have heard here in a long time!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree that women need to choose the firearm that fits "THEIR HANDS" and not their husbands' pre-conceived notions. Spent a lot of time working with this principle -- and issues around the ability to rack a slide using isometric tension -- when working the gun counter at Sportsman's Warehouse a few years back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The first thing the guy at the gun shop I usually go to says to anyone (male or female) who's coming in to look at handguns is "tell me about your previous shooting experience..."

Then he asks them what sort of use they plan for the firearm, and how often they anticipate practicing or shooting with it.

Then finally he will ask to see their hands to get a general idea of the grip size that's likely to be best for them. Even after all that he will still show them quite a variety of firearms pointing out the pros and cons of each type as well as each specific example of that type.

It sounds like that's what this NRA Project did, and the results certainly did not show that the women given unlimited choice of handguns wind up preferring small ones or cute ones or simple to operate ones.

I know when I show new shooters different firearms, petite females generally prefer something with a lighter trigger pull then the average double action revolver. They also prefer shooting a full size Taurus PT-92 (which is basically the same gun as the Beretta 92 with a superior '1911-style' safety) versus a Ruger LCP; the problem is usually that if they want to conceal a handgun it is more challenging unless they are willing to wear pants with a belt, and an un-tucked shirt.

I think that my daughters would have had the same reaction to that condescending gun store clerk as the Marine above.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Many ladies lack the strength to cycle self-loaders. My daughter shadow boxes with 5 # dumbbells but lacks the gripping strength to cycle most of my self-loaders. My wife cannot cycle any of them.

There is also an obvious and vehement prejudice against revolvers in the current tactitard world.

The new Smith & Wesson ez .380 is one answer and has quite positive reviews.
m.A.g.a. !
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I like teaching women how to shoot( Actually like women in general). They tend to listen better than guys do. I start them off with a 22, then once they have the basics down let them try centerfire with everything in my possession from 380s up to magnum revolvers. Believe it or not most really liked a full sized 1911 better than anything else.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My wife has small hands and short fingers. She likes the Ruger SP101 since it fits her hands. Most semiautos are not comfortable in her hands. The Walther PPK/S P.O.C. that she used to have was Pelosi from the start. It cut her every shot. She probably put 20 rounds through it before she threw it in the trash. I dug it out and sold it. Anyone who tries to tell me that a PPK/S is a good gun is automatically moved into the category of someone to never listen to a word that they say. If they say that they like it, fine. Just do not try to tell me or my wife that it is a good gun. Anything that cuts you every time you fire it is not well designed. No other gun ever cut her, and she qualified Expert with the M16A2, grenade, and the M9.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost