OT-Trade M1A for LAR-308/AR-10?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Trade M1A for LAR-308/AR-10?

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Here is a question I've been kicking around. I have an M1A Scout/Squad I've been thinking of trading for either the DPMS LAR308 or the Armalite AR-10. Obviously they are all the same caliber, but I have been thinking of the 300 SAUM. I like the M1A very much, but it's so blasted heavy. Accuracy is around an inch at 100 yards. The M1A is also VERY LOUD!!!

Let's hear your thoughts.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Trade M1A for LAR-308/AR-10?

Post by cas »

shawn_c992001 wrote: I like the M1A very much, but it's so blasted heavy.
Have you handled the DPMS LAR308 or the Armalite AR-10? They sure feel heavier than my M14SA. (at least to me. I don't know what the real weight is, but they feel clunkier to me, if not heavier.)
Slow is just slow.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Keep the M1A!!!! Its a far better weapon. The AR-10 is just as loud and heavier
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I have seen posts in other forums expressing disappointment and frustration with DPMS ARs in .308. One was from a guy who was very experienced with AR15s in .223, and had tried everything. I certainly would not trade a any reliable weapon for one. Perhaps I would buy something like that and try wringing it out, and then sell the rifle I liked the least. Of course, I don't care for the whole AR family of weapons, anyway, only keeping one around because I am "certified" to use one in .223 at work.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My first M16 from years ago seemed much lighter in my mind that what my son's Bushmaster AR-15 is today.
I guess I'm not as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Wear hearing protection and stick with what you have. You have among the best. .300 SAUM? Why for? If you just have to, get it also. I suspect that it will go away and then you'll still have good guns.

One of the loudest guns I ever shot was the Fed Ordnance "Tanker" Garand. But it was neat as all get out.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would keep the M1A having used it for many years in competition. I just like it better. The AR-10 is a nice weapon but I like the looks and performance of the M1A better.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I always wear hearing protection at range sessions and also for hunting. I'm looking at the DPMS LR-308L DPMS's website says it weighs less than 8lbs and Springfield Armory's site says the Scout/Squad weighs 9lbs. (I swear it's more).
Last edited by shawn_c992001 on Mon May 26, 2008 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

I always liked the ar10T's, but having shot them at the range, they were far louder and different feeling them my M1A's. 2 mags through one convinced me not to buy it.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The ONLY gun I'd trade my M1 for is a M1A. But, even then I'd have to find one of the elusive .30-06 versions.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The M1A is a better design gas-wise, and getting-the-girst-round-in-the-chamber wise (I hate the AR platform's bolt-handle setup). The AR has lots of nice modular features, but if you just HAVE to trick out an M1A with doo-dads, there are aftermarket rails and such.

For weight reduction, consider a fiberglass stock. The wood on mine was so pretty that I put a surplus fiberglass stock on it for actual shooting, and it is much lighter weight. I'd like to get a better fiberglass one someday that bedded better, and didn't have the selective-fire cutout.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

My M1A already has the black synthetic stock from S.A.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

That stock may be part of the problem. Sometimes, synthetics are actually heavier than walnut or hardwood.

I would be inclined to try a different stock before I traded away a M1A. Then you can sell the stock you don't like on an internet auction board.

Good luck.

Sean
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I have owned M1A's and FN-FAL's never an AR-10. I just think it is clunky compared to a tried and proven design in either the M1A or FN. I like both and have never had a problem with either design. I will say that If I was to choose between a FN-Para or M1A SOCOM. I would take the Para. much more versitile handles better. IMHO anyway
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:o Don't even think about trading for an EBR! You already have an excellent weapon for whatever need arises. :wink: my .02$, Tom
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would never consider trading the M1A for either of those weapons, unless you enjoy going down in class. You have the best. PLease keep it or you will have a very sore butt!!! From kicking it many times for getting rid of the M1A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!