my newest lever gun: clunky-r-us

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

my newest lever gun: clunky-r-us

Post by hfcable »

been looking for one of these for a long time to add to my eclectic odd/unusual/ and just plain weird collection:

yes, it is the famous , elusive [though how can you be elusive when no one is looking for you] : Kessler Levermatic style 20 gauge shotun:

looks to be unfired and actually has nice wood!
cable
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

What were they thinking :D
Kinda neet in a strange way. I like it!

hfcable, you would probably like this one of mine, it is a 1957 Mossberg 200K 12gage. Mossbergs first pump gun. Glad they kept trying :?

Last edited by salvo on Sun May 25, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Harold,
My buddies know me to be able to identify any gun (American) on sight. I looked at that pic of yours and just scratched my head! neat gun--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

looks like somebody left their Winchester 1895 out in the rain overnight.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

[quote="salvo"]What were they thinking :D
Kinda need in a strange way. I like it!

hfcable, you would probably like this one of mine, it is a 1957 Mossberg 200K 12gage. Mossbergs first pump gun. Glad they kept trying :?

you know, that is neat! i remember there was a p ump gun with detachable box magazine....isd thaqt one? always thought it would be handy....easy to keep different rounds in different magazines, and load it quickly! this that the way that one works? maybe i need to find one of those!
cable
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Yes it is magazine fed.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's so ......................er,.........DIFFERENT, that it's even a little attractive. :wink: (And.....It DOES have a lever !)
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I'd be onto one of those in a heartbeat. Great looking gun.

Are we going to get a range report?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: my newest lever gun: clunky-r-us

Post by awp101 »

Well, if you wanted unusual you got a good one! 8)
hfcable wrote:yes, it is the famous , elusive [though how can you be elusive when no one is looking for you]
:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

you know when women look at an UGLY kid or puppy and say "OOOh how cute"!!! Well that is your gun in a nutshell :lol: :lol: :lol:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Bruce Scott wrote:I'd be onto one of those in a heartbeat. Great looking gun.

Are we going to get a range report?
well, i hope to try it out this week; it looks new internally, has double extractors, and the firing pin and bolt show no sign of firing.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

505stevec wrote:you know when women look at an UGLY kid or puppy and say "OOOh how cute"!!! Well that is your gun in a nutshell :lol: :lol: :lol:
i think you are exactly right; and it is unusual; the company that made these, mainly made bolt action shotguns, but i have read that this design, which has a short throw lever, was the predecessor of the marlin levermatic series. it is a very smooth action.
i have two original 1901 winchester leveraction shotguns, an 1887 winchester [repro] shotgun, and two original old model marlin lever action 410s from the 1920-30s era, and just need one of these to complete the weirdness. spencer actually made some lever action shotguns before they went out of business, but i think they might have functioned as just single shots, and not magazine fed. a few prototype marlin old model 1895s were made up in 20 ga. and there was the Larson Whitner made in ?Germany? that was a leveraction shotgun and Micks guns in england has two of them in 16 gauge for sale way above my budget or i would get one

here is the Larson Whitner:

Last edited by hfcable on Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cable
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Now that is the first time I have ever seen that model of shotgun. It is very interesting, and I thing it is just fine!!!! Love to have one!! Good luck with it!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

cool

Post by Hillbilly »

over 30 years of guns shows and pawn shop hunting here.... I have never seen one of those shotguns...

I've never come across the Mossberg either...

Neat.

Hill
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The Kesslers are cool . I've have never run across one to handle though. I like the weird stuff. Nothing is more fun than shooting with guys . And they all look at you and say what the heck is that your shooting! :D
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I like my kessler! I modified mine alittle bit, it now has a invector rifled choke, and wears peep sights, shoots foster style slugs great. I sure would love to find 1 in 20 ga or even better yet 1 in 16 ga

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Never seen one of those before. Neat leverguns.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

never knew such a critter even existed. very nice find. thanks for sharing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

rjohns94 wrote:never knew such a critter even existed. very nice find. thanks for sharing.
Not a lever but here's another I never knew existed, Marlin Model 90 O/U shotgun:
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337687
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think azzhandler posted about his Kessler before, but I'd never heard of the others mentioned in this thread. Always learnin' something new around here!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

hey hfcable, check out the choke in your kessler, if its choked like mine was, the choke starts about 11 inches before the end of the barrel, I found out after I cut the barrel off on mine. I should have shot some shot loads through my gun before I cut it off, but I just couldnt help myself,
the moment I laid eyes on the kessler, I knew I had to have it , and It needed some sights for shooting slugs, :lol: Ive had mine for about 2 yrs or so, and you are the only other guy besides myself that has ever said they have 1
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Harold, where do you find these things?!? Is there a market for unusual firearms up in Alaska?!? :D

Congrats... I think! :wink:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

azzhandler wrote:hey hfcable, check out the choke in your kessler, if its choked like mine was, the choke starts about 11 inches before the end of the barrel, I found out after I cut the barrel off on mine. I should have shot some shot loads through my gun before I cut it off, but I just couldnt help myself,
the moment I laid eyes on the kessler, I knew I had to have it , and It needed some sights for shooting slugs, :lol: Ive had mine for about 2 yrs or so, and you are the only other guy besides myself that has ever said they have 1
i had heard of them, but the pictures you posted in the past were the first i had seen and i knew i wanted one. is a lot lighter and better balanced than it looks. yours looks really well set up.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Harold, where do you find these things?!? Is there a market for unusual firearms up in Alaska?!? :D

Congrats... I think! :wink:
you know i found this on an online proxibid auction from Kull and supica; first one if ever had a crack at getting, and it cost me a little under 300.00 including the shipping, which i think is a good deal.
i really do like unusual lever guns.
cable
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I gave $125 for mine, what got my attention was how slick the action works after you pull the trigger