John Browning Automatic Magazine Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

John Browning Automatic Magazine Gun

Post by Pitchy »

Anyone know of a link to or someone that has made one?
Heck i imagine Six has the original. :)

https://patentwallart.com/products/john ... gazine-gun
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: John Browning Automatic Magazine Gun

Post by GunnyMack »

Now there is an idea! The over pressure of bullet traveling down the bore does the work. I wonder how many different versions before he got it reliable?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`t`s pretty cool, i read he was shooting with some friends and noticed how the grass was getting blown down in front of the guys gun.
They stopped shooting and went back to his shop and he made that work by afternoons end.
He went on from there and made the potato digger machine gun.
I may have to look for a old 22 lever rifle and try and make one. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When smokeless powder came out JB 's inventions really took......I read years ago the rifle he used was an 1873.....I guess that's the one in the pic.

Pitchy....don't think it will work on a .22......not enough pressure....that's why they are the unlocked simple blowback action.

I did see a few of JB's prototypes at the Cody Museum. The one I remember best was the 1892.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy....don't think it will work on a .22......not enough pressure....that's why they are the unlocked simple blowback action.
Well chit guess i`ll have to use the 86 45-70 :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:36 pm
Well chit guess i`ll have to use the 86 45-70 :lol:
Ha! That would be a blast in full auto....think it would rise up?---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

"I may have to look for a old 22 lever rifle and try and make one."

Don't even think about it Pitchy. That gun was full auto and you would be guilty of building a machine gun.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hawkeye2 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:21 pm "I may have to look for a old 22 lever rifle and try and make one."

Don't even think about it Pitchy. That gun was full auto and you would be guilty of building a machine gun.
Yea no doubt, i was just checking out how simple it was and how smart Browning was.
Just for conversation if a modern lever rifle was used it wouldn`t be full auto would it?
Added to say that all the lever at the front would do is lever the rifle just like by hand and you would have to pull the trigger for each shot.
I can`t see how it could be full auto, if i`m wrong someone please explain.
I see in the photo that he had the lever made so it would hit the trigger making it full auto but if it wasn`t made to do that it would be semi auto imo.
The idea to me is to replicate such a peace of history mainly the blow back action, somewhere i seen another print showing the entire lever in place so maybe his first model was semi auto and he changed it to full auto later.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

If the lever was intact I wouldn't want my hand anywhere near it when the gun went off. I have looked at that patent drawing before and always wondered how you stopped that gun set up as it is except to let it empty the magazine.

To make the gun a semi auto the lever safety (trigger block) would have to be disabled after the lever was modified similar to the drawing. That means you would have to be awfully fast getting your finger off the trigger to allow the gun to remain at full cock or prevent it form catching the half cock on the way down. Very likely the hammer would follow the bolt down and possibly set off the next round(s). Might have to come up with some kind of disconnect to hold the hammer at full cock till the trigger was released. Remember the Henry and the 66 don't have lever safeties and it's possible to fire a round before the bolt is completely closed.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Not sure i agree, if ya used a model 92 and left everything factory the blow back lever would cycle the action the same as if doing it by hand leaving the hammer at full cock until you pulled the trigger and do the same for every shot.
That being said you would have to be quick on the trigger or the hammer follows the bolt forward every time.
Ya have to understand my mind when i see something like this i want to experience it myself like Browning did just because.
The best way to see something like this work would be to only have one bullet in the gun.
If i ever made this mechanism i would make the blow back lever removable so as not to alter the rifle in any way.
Probably won`t make it anyway it`s the Sir Isaac Newton in me that temps me. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Pitchy, IIRC he had it set up with a screw that would touch off the shot. That made it so it'd run 'til dry. Kind of hard to control, but a good "proof of concept".
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com