TC G2, .30-30 single shot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

TC G2, .30-30 single shot?

Post by homefront »

Anyone familiar with the latest G2 rifle, in .30-30? I'm interested in working with the .30-30 for 100-200 yard target shooting and this looks like a nice rifle.
https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/interch ... e-firearms
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: TC G2, .30-30 single shot?

Post by vancelw »

I've never had a G2. I still own an original, early Contender and a couple of Encores. I've loved them all.

If you think you might want more powerful calibers some day, go with an Encore.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What vancelw said...

Also EABCO sells lots of Contender and Encore stuff, plus their own brand of single-shot that looks nice. I have both Contender and Encore frames and like both.

Generally the Contender is the lighter weight, lower-pressure, way-better-trigger one, but the stronger Encore still remains the simplicity, multi-cartridge flexibility, and inherent accuracy of the break-open single-shot, even though the trigger isn't as crisp as the Contender.

If your goal is to see the maximum possible accuracy a 30-30 can achieve, the Contender would be my choice. If you are willing to settle for 'really good' versus 'maximum possible' accuracy, and might want to step up to 7mm Rem Mag, 500 S&W, or 22-250 full-power loads, then get the Encore.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Doc, I've never fired a G2. Are the triggers like an original Contender or more like an Encore (since it seems to be a scaled down version of an Encore)?

I'm out of touch on G2 prices, but nice used Encores can be had for $500 for a complete firearm. Barrels can be had for 125 (if you are a good bargain hunter) to 375 for a new whatever. I even bought a ML barrel for my Encore so I could our 1st ML deer season. It was the cheapest way for me to "buy in" and dang accurate, too.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

One of my G2's, 27" 45/70 with 1-14 twist MGM barrel, shoots real fine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I found my G1 Carbine nice & light; my G2 a tad heavier, but with a nicer trigger along with easier barrel opening.

I obtained a .375 Winchester barrel for my G2 from the old T/C Custom Shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters), that worked out very well for the few years I had it.

I've found the Encore to be much heavier, to the point that I didn't like it (although my Son loves his ProHunter Encore with 2bbls)

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

The current twist is 1:10. Will this be an issue for the lighter bullets?

I like the fact that the barrel is not tapered; hopefully that suggests that it's heavier and stiffer and possibly more accurate.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

A lot of folks experience differs, but I've never had a TC barrel of any profile or length that wouldn't shoot sub moa.

I've never noticed the weight difference between Encore and Contender, but then I've never had a contender carbine.
I love the single shot rifle because there is no 6 to 8 inches lost on the action. A 24" barrelled Encore is shorter than an 18" bolt action rifle. So a 16" Encore or Contender is very handy.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think my Contenders are both G1.
The only carbine (vs pistol) barrel I have is for 17 Hornet, and the little gun is almost too light. Accurate so far though - but need to shoot it more.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
zoner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zoner »

i'm a big fan of the contender carbine. I have a easy open(pre g2) frame and rynite stock with a Blackout cheek riser. I had a 30-30 barrel but traded it off without working with it much. I have a 22 Hornet 21" tapered barrel with 2 loads worked out, 34 gr HP at about 2800 fps and a 22 lr level load, and have a MGM 357 magnum carbine barrel i'm gonna work out a jacketed load and a cast bullet load. Both my barrels are 21" long and i prefer that length(and balance) for offhand shooting. 5.5 lbs, short, real nice trigger...these are great little guns. If i were hunting deer a 7/30 Waters barrel . Underpowered? Nope...not for me. Given my marksmanship ability i couldn't take a ETHICAL shot at a deer offhand beyond 200 yds and the Waters will do the job at that distance
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

vancelw wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 pm Doc, I've never fired a G2. Are the triggers like an original Contender or more like an Encore (since it seems to be a scaled down version of an Encore)?

I'm out of touch on G2 prices, but nice used Encores can be had for $500 for a complete firearm. Barrels can be had for 125 (if you are a good bargain hunter) to 375 for a new whatever. I even bought a ML barrel for my Encore so I could our 1st ML deer season. It was the cheapest way for me to "buy in" and dang accurate, too.
The G2 Contender has the same type of trigger as the Encore. It is not as nice out of the box as the old Contender was. That said, both the Encore and G2 Contender triggers are fixable, just not as easily as the old Contender.
The Lord Bless You

Terry
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

zoner wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 am If i were hunting deer a 7/30 Waters barrel . Underpowered? Nope...not for me. Given my marksmanship ability i couldn't take a ETHICAL shot at a deer offhand beyond 200 yds and the Waters will do the job at that distance
I agree. I have a 12" Hunter barrel that I've shot dime size groups at 100 yards with my loads with Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips. Took this buck at 110 yards with it.