Repro original henry

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Repro original henry

Post by azzhandler »

I'm considering getting a iron frame Henry in 44-40 and wondering how hot of a load the gun can take ?
The rifle will mainly be used for plinking and deer hunting in Ohio . Thanks in advance
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Repro original henry

Post by wecsoger »

That really should be a question sent over to the Henry folk, who I've heard are very accommodating for questions.

I did some quick research, now I see that the .44-40 at the hotter loading is close to .44 mag levels. My concern is we have some serious corn and soybean fed deer up here.

Looked on the Henry web site, that's a pretty rifle. Post pictures when you get it, let us know what the Henry people say, and let us know how many Bambi's you were able to get off the highway.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Stick with standard velocity loads. Do NOT use the "Hi-Velocity" version... as those are specifically for the mdl 1892 Winchester or mdl 1894 Marlins, which is a much stronger action. I have the Uberti Steel Framed Henry in 45 Colt. I stick to loads suitable for my Colt SAAs. I believe Driftwood Johnson has the same gun in .44-40. If he sees this, I'm sure he'll chime in.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yes. If you want to hotrod a gun, stay away from 1860, 1866, and 1873.

I like the Uberti/Cimarron rifles a lot better (and hundreds of dollars cheaper)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I don't think you need a high-power-hyper-velocity 44-40 load to kill deer in Ohio, the original black powder load for the 44-40 worked just fine for the last generation (and would work fine for our HUGE Mule Deer in the Pacific NorthWest)...enjoy the cartridge... :)