Ruger LCP II

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger LCP II

Post by Grizz »

I checked one of these out in the Austin, Tx region. My impressions are a. that it's now a mini-glockish clone, 2. that the trigger is way too light for condition one carry in MY pocket, and b. that it is actually a target trigger with a better letoff than either of my XDs. And it has real sights for those who need them.

I would love to shoot this thing. One of the things that sold me on the LCP is the trigger that is roughly equivelant to a DAO wheel gun, which, with a totally shrouded hammer is about as goof proof and reliable as possible. It is not going to discharge accidentally, ever.

Glocks are known to have ADs, or perhaps NDs, as witnessed by the experts with perforated buttocks from careless handling, including a shirt tail getting into the trigger guard when holstering a glock. This kind of carelessness is easy to snort at, but it happens enough to be a warning sign.

This would never happen with the LCP line until now.

I would like to hear from someone who has spent some time shooting the new II, and I would love to run some ammo through one, and I think I am responsible enough to carry it safely, but I would have a hard time recommending it to a new shooter. The release is a shock after using the prior versions. More like my G22 without the sponginess. Glock fans might be delighted to have a 380 that actually conceals like a pocket pistol should.

Although, it would be fun to tighten up my LCP "groups" a bit.
380ACP.jpg

any thoughts on this?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger- ... ll-review/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger LCP II

Post by 1894cfan »

One holster maker agrees with you....unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/default.aspx
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Having pulled my keys on a carabiner out of my pocket to find an LCP hanging from it, I am perfectly happy with the trigger. I do not expect any kind of target accuracy past spitting distance, smooth trigger pull, high vis sights etc etc. I expect it to go bang, and I expect it to be easy to carry in my front pocket without needing a special holster or anything else. I've broken my self from putting anything else in that pocket. I can be standing hands in pockets in a very non threatening manner with it in my hand ready to pull out and use. My training routine often begins with pulling it from my pocket, emptying it, reloading, empty again, then transition to the one I have on my hip. If it hits the paper on the pistol target rapid fire simply looking over the slide in a two handed hold I consider that a success. I have done this dozens of times over many years and it has never ever failed except one time when i reassembled the slide springs incorrectly. I wouldn't take 10 of those new ones for it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1894cfan wrote:One holster maker agrees with you....unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/default.aspx
He's an interesting guy:

http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.c ... eorge.aspx

And he agrees with you about the dangerously light trigger:

http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.c ... RNING.aspx
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm completely satisfied with my "old" style LCP. It's my EDC, never leave the house without it, and two extra mags. It has the Crimson Trace laser sight built into it. Not much use in the daylight past a few yards, but if I was somehow in a strange shooting position, the laser might be handy. She's a vicious little beast to shoot, and more than a couple mags-full has my trigger finger very tender, or bleeding. IMO, this shooter can't be carried in condition"1" because is isn't cocked until you pull the trigger, and the trigger is very heavy, but just right for SD. I've never shot it on paper, but little white rocks, and pop cans are at risk within 10 feet or so. That's really all I expect of it. I don't shoot it a lot, but it's never failed to fire, or cycle.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

It is a belly gun. Not a target gun. :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you (anyone) fancy yourself needing to shoot across an open space or maybe today is the day you will get into a chasing gun fight (outside a Hollywood set) then a more-appropriate handgun may be in order?

I carried an LCP in various locations and then went back to my 380ACP KelTec, in which I have more confidence. Personal choice. I have no real interest in the LCPII, as I don't cotton to guns without hammers.

I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

sam you bring something up I've always wondered about. The LCP is pretty much a kel-tec. What are the differences and how was Ruger able to make a LCP clone?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

sore shoulder wrote:Having pulled my keys on a carabiner out of my pocket to find an LCP hanging from it, I am perfectly happy with the trigger.
The very reason I, A) never carry anything else but a pocket holster in the pocket holding a pistol, and B) always use a pocket holster that covers the trigger, regardless of the gun and its trigger arrangement.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

sore shoulder wrote:sam you bring something up I've always wondered about. The LCP is pretty much a kel-tec. What are the differences and how was Ruger able to make a LCP clone?
Seems everybody is trying to reinvent the Glock and Keltec. Manufactures need to either come up with some new, or go back in time and make perfect copies of the colt single action army or colt python. How many different takes on the 1911A1 can the THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN showcase, anyway?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I listened to Mas Ayoob's podcast just last night. He and his wife Gail talked about the LCPII. One of the things Mas said was that Ruger is now shipping the LCPII with a pocket holster and they advise people to use the pocket holster and advise against pocket carry without a holster.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Those rubber pocket sleeves (I got one with the old model long ago) that come with LCPs suck. They stick to the inside of the pocket, but if it's a large pocket it will turn sideways and you might as well forget about a quick shot. I don't care for a pants pocket carry, but if I have to, the LCP is the only thing, plus a handkerchief that goes in the pocket. I'm in jeans/tee, and biker vest 99% of the time, and the LCP fits nicely, sans pocket sleeve, in the upper inside vest pocket. A couple of extra mags in another pocket.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the lcp I carry is the first model after the trigger recall, early days, and mine came with the corrected trigger. so it's about the oldest version next to the recalled first batch.

my wife's is the lcp-c, the so called custom model. this one has actual sights, the stainless guide rod and the red trigger that were aftermarket items. the trigger pull on her custom is still in the DAO revolver range, with a different length of pull required to finish cocking the hammer, and a better letoff, without getting into the squirrely target trigger zone. I think that the custom is the one to get if it's still around. I'm hoping ruger doesn't stop making it, but sometimes that's the way they roll.

here's a picture

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I may look in to that trigger Grizz. Mine is pre-recall model. One nice thing is Ruger sent me the extended floor plates for 2 magazines when they returned it after the recall.
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

check out the II version in a side by side, let me know what you think. I think I would buy that custom if I saw a good price on it.

we paid $250 OTD for her new one. I think I said 240 before but she straightened me out. :lol:

otoh, I bet a guy could make good money with the lcp II, who could resist putting up 50$ against it? it could pay for itself at the range. :D